• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[houston] foodie/home cook resources - help

So I sincerely miss the great used cookware store CookIn in San Francisco, where one could find vintage glassware, beautfiul artisnal copper, and an abundance of used Le Creuset in excellent condition for half retail or less. Any such places in Houston???

Also, is there a knife sharpener people recommend? I'm unwilling to wait a full week, but find that I have less and less time to do it my self.

Finally I want to compile a list of foodie/home cook resources Houston. What are the best butchers, grocers, bakers, fishmongers, and so on for the food enthusiast. I'm thinking about putting together a little Houston foodie portal website -- but if anyone knows of one already in exsistence, I would be delighted to be saved the trouble.

Post links to this thread, please!

So I sincerely miss the great used cookware store CookIn in San Francisco, where one could find vintage glassware, beautfiul artisnal copper, and an abundance of used Le Creuset in excellent condition for half retail or less. Any such places in Houston???

Also, is there a knife sharpener people recommend? I'm unwilling to wait a full week, but find that I have less and less time to do it my self.

Finally I want to compile a list of foodie/home cook resources Houston. What are the best butchers, grocers, bakers, fishmongers, and so on for the food enthusiast. I'm thinking about putting together a little Houston foodie portal website -- but if anyone knows of one already in exsistence, I would be delighted to be saved the trouble.

Post links to this thread, please!

Welcome to the eGullet Society, dangerpirate!

I think you will find the answers to most of your questions in this Texas forum. You can use the search function at the bottom of the forum to search for any of those terms. Then if you have further questions about one of those services, just post it to an existing topic thread. If there is not already a topic, please start a new one. That will make the information easier to find for members now and in the future.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or Foodman.

• 4 weeks later...
Finally I want to compile a list of foodie/home cook resources Houston. What are the best butchers, grocers, bakers, fishmongers, and so on for the food enthusiast.

Hey Dangerpirate, are you still planning to put this list / website together? I'd surely be interested in it as well.

Valerie

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Knife Sharpener. I recently bought the Furi using a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond and so far I am very pleased. Sur la Table does a terrific job of sharpening knives for $1 per inch. I wouldn't recommend Central Market based on what I've heard from others.

The Guild Shop on Dunlavy is a great place to scour for used cookware