• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Croissants in LA

You can get chocolate ones at La Brea Bakery. I used to buy croissants from Pioneer Bakery in Venice, but they closed their retail store. I like the croissants at Il Fornaio also, but lately I've been buying bread from Gelson's bakery, which is just as good, but I don't know if they make croissants.

Try the ones at the Bristol Farms markets, in-house bakery. They are terrific, however, if you want the ones with ham and cheese, you have to get to the store early because they sell out rapidly.

The last time I was in the South Pasadena store, it seemed like everyone was buying croissants.

Here are the store locations in L.A. County.

Be warned, their bakery stuff tastes as good as it looks and one can drop half a yard without much trouble.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My favorite is Michel Richard on Robertson. I'm sure others will have favories, too, besides the Gelson's/Bristol Farms possibilities.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

According to LA Magazine, its the croissants at La Dijonnaisse in Culver City -- corner of Washington & Helms. There's also supposed to be a great place in the Palisades.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

In Santa Monica and with irregular hours Pain Du Jour ((310) 399-4870) on Pico just east of Lincoln. They make wonderful everything. Belgium I believe is where the baker hails from. They supply many restaurants and cafes but also have a small retail counter in the front of the bakery. These are only good if you like your croissant with more butter than flour. I do. They make pain chocolate as well as many other treats.

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

There is also a bakery on Westwood Blvd in Westwood Village, on the west side of the street, near Kinross, that has excellent croissants. I don't know the name. My housekeeper sometimes stops there on her home when she has only a half day at school. Very light and crusty/flakey.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The post about Michel Richard on Robertson brought back fond memories of my time living in LA. His pastries were far beyond the others available when he opened, and I would guess they still are pretty good. I need to go by there next time I'm in town.

Le Petit Beaujolais croissant looks very good...but how did it taste?

Edited to add more info:

My faves are Michelle Richard and La Dijonaisse.

Michelle Richard's are smaller, and more emphasis on the flaky pasty aspect of things, therefore they get first place.

La Dijonaisse croissants are slightly bigger, with a more present/chewy interior. The outside is still nice and crispy.

(I will admit that I moved up to SF about a 2 years, so I haven't been able to compare the newer spots. But La Dijonaisse is a favorite of a co-worker/friend of mine who is Swiss, and I have had the pleasure of eating their croissants fairly regularly since my move.)

Edited by mixmaster b (log)

The croissant tasted great, mixmaster b!! Toasty outside, tender inside, and the flakes fall apart as I eat into it and make a mess over the table.

And Le Petit Beaujolais is in Eagle Rock, between Glendale and Pasadena, so it's convenient to me.

Now, if you want sheer quantity, Costco sells croissant in bulk (18/box) and they're pretty decent. And when they get old, they can be used for a nice bread pudding recipe.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...