• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chicken smoking energency

zoe b

it's not an emergency in the sense of where is the fire extinguisher--more along the lines of spousal disagreement--advice needed.

and i've neen searching for advice--here and on the web without luck--the smoker didn't come with directions, being a hand me down.

someone gave us an electric smoker a while ago--we never wanted to use it--we live in the woods for gosh sakes--it's not like there's a shortage of fuel here--but we did crank it up over the weekend and cooked a bottom round roast.

I know you aren't supposed to smoke them--but it's what i had in the freezer--and it actually was delicious--nothing like a brisket--it was lean and yummy--I did a spicy rub --it was like pastrami, actually--made wonderful sandwiches and a fabulous hash last night.

but it cooked too fast--I think the problem was that there's both the electric source and my hub--he thinks the only fire is a big fire--and see above for no wood shortage--so he actually had a fire going of the wood over the electric---I think you're just supposed to have some chunks that are smoking--not an actual bonfire.

we're smoking two chickens right now--having some people over tonight--and could use some input here--thanks! Zoe

Well, you win this round! Burning the wood releases junk you don't want in the smoke; that's why you smoke moist chips, or heat the chips over something that doesn't make them flame up.

I mean, I could be wrong. I think we need a diagram of some sort.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Ditto on the diagram. The bonfire description is fairly certainly a no-no. It's not a barbecue after all. How long are you smoking the chickens for? I'm asking a pro-smoker as we speak (he does chickens too, don't feel bad) and hopefully he'll have some answers.

well, the chips are moist as it's raining here and they've been sitting outside--but there were an awful lot of them-- I did show your post to the hub, Chris--so he is grudgingly letting the blaze die down.

thanks!

will report back later.

Zoe

Ditto on the diagram.  The bonfire description is fairly certainly a no-no.  It's not a barbecue after all.  How long are you smoking the chickens for?  I'm asking a pro-smoker as we speak (he does chickens too, don't feel bad) and hopefully he'll have some answers.

oh, good, am eager to hear his advice.

we're just smoking them til they're done--this kind of smoker (even sans bonfire) seems to be too hot to really smoke something--you get more of a hybrid result--

although this could be because we aren't using it properly--the hub just said maybe you are supposed to turn it off for awhile--it doesn't have a thermometer which makes it difficult to work with it.

Definitely not supposed to have the heat too high. Smoking is long and slow (like so many enjoyable things). The wood should be soaked thoroughly so that it doesn't flame up but merely "smokes" and imparts the flavor :wink: .

Just a simple southern lady lost out west...

"Leave Mother in the fridge in a covered jar between bakes. No need to feed her." Jackal10

just realized you wanted a diagram from me

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...oductId=1287362

that's a pic of the smoker--grill on top for meat

then on the bottom is the electric unit with a rack for water over it.

cajungirl said--

Smoking is long and slow (like so many enjoyable things).

dang--I think I'm just getting a quickie, today....

You really don't want an open flame in that baby. The heat comes from the electric element. Soaked wood chips or chunks are the way to go. With chicken however, a long slow approach is not really necessary. Chicken and other poultry do not have the large amount of fat and connective tissue that pork and beef brisket have that require the long slow cook to break down. Chicken can be smoked at a higher temperture.

My first smoker was a Brinkman charcoal fired unit. it was really difficult to use effectivly as there was no real way to control the temperture. I doubt the electric unit is any better.

But good luck and have fun! Smoking is a blast and there is tons of e-gullet smoke stuff always going on.

ok--so the dinner guests just left--and the chicken was delicious--I rubbed it with a vaguely asian mixture --olive oil, sesame oil, 5 spice powder, garlic, sugar, soy sauce, mustard.

the smoking waS HAPHAZARD as a breaker blew out, who knows why, when I read accounts of rational processes it never applies to what is happening at my house--I took it off the smoker at 170--I was afraid of it getting too dried out, but it could have stayed on for another 1/2 hour or so--the bad part of the story is that we were doing 2 chickens and they were up against each other--and the squished up parts were NOT done--so i'll have to roast them tomorrow.

But it was a good dinner--chicken, and sesame noodles with bean sprouts and red pepper and cukes and radish and carrot, and a foccacio bread that I make often, and apple and rhubarb crisp for dessert.

Just one quick thing about wood and water: you don't necessarily need to soak the wood. If you use chunks (not chips), soaking doesn't penetrate most of the wood anyways. I prefer chunks for long smoking sessions. If you use chips, and have them in foil with holes poked, you also don't need to soak, especially if your temp is low. Soaking the chips doesn't do anything bad, it's just that in many situations you don't need to do it. Sometimes you need to replenish the wood and don't have time to soak it.

about the manual--unfortunately I have an extremely slow connection--so downloading that manual was taking too long --I had to resort to trying to Google some quick info --as the hub had already plugged the thing in and thrown on the wood.

now, with more time, I can get a look at the manual. I did see something about the electric smoker being designed to cook at 250 so that's why there's no thermometer--that makes sense.

and Darren, that's good to know that chunks work for you--since that's what we have.

Once I get a look at the manual I want to smoke a duck--I did one years ago and I thought it was the best duck I'd ever made.

thanks for all the advice--this site is an amazing resource!

The most important ingredient for smoking, just like for most other cooking, is a thermometer to measure the cooking medium with. I use an oven thermometer in my smoker, or sometimes an analogue meat thermometer stuck through a cork to keep the element in the air. Then, it's just a matter of keeping the smoker between 200-250'F. An average size chicken will be done in 3-4 hours and will be delicious and moist.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."