• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Table Hopping With Rosie 6/7

Rosie

Click Here: http://www.njmonthly.com/rosie/rosiemain.html

This week read about:

Chef Michael Haimowitz’s new menu at Arthur’s Landing, Weehawken

The Copper River king salmon being served at Doris & Ed’s, Highlands

Piquant Bread Bar & Grill, a new restaurant serving contemporary Indian cuisine in New Brunswick.

AND MUCH MORE………..

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Copper River Salmon was selling for $30 a pound at Whole Foods the first week it was available. I think it's down to $23 a pound now. So $37 for a dinner is not our of line.

if i'm not mistaken, Oceanos in Fair Lawn has a copper river salmon dish for about 32-35. the fish, in general, is well worth it to my mind.

Copper River Salmon was selling for $30 a pound at Whole Foods the first week it was available. I think it's down to $23 a pound now. So $37 for a dinner is not our of line.

What size portion to chef's normally plate for an individual serving? At $23 a pound at WF, the average customer would probably purchase about a pound for a 2 serving. I would think that restaurants get a better price from their fish mongers. I will admit I'm not a huge fan of Doris & Ed's, and the $37 price tag seems a bit high to me. I'd rather go for the three course tasting menu at Nicholas for $55 even though the Copper River Salmon isn't on the menu.

Nicholas menu

What size portion to chef's normally plate for an individual serving? At $23 a pound at WF, the average customer would probably purchase about a pound for a 2 serving. I would think that restaurants get a better price from their fish mongers. I will admit I'm not a huge fan of Doris & Ed's, and the $37 price tag seems a bit high to me. I'd rather go for the three course tasting menu at Nicholas for $55 even though the Copper River Salmon isn't on the menu.

Nicholas menu

I'm also not a fan of Doris & Ed's. Their prices have always been outrageously exhorbitant. We stopped going there years ago because, for what I do consider way out of line prices, we never had anything but an o.k. meal.

Wegmans, in Manalapan, had Copper River salmon for the first time last week at $17/lb.

Fresh Direct (which delivers to Hoboken and Jersey City) has the following:

Wild Copper River King Salmon Steak, Fresh from Alaska

$28.99/lb

Wild Copper River King Salmon Fillet, Fresh from Alaska

$32.99/lb

Wild Copper River Sockeye Salmon Steak, Fresh from Alaska

$9.99/lb

Wild Copper River Sockeye Salmon Fillet, Fresh from Alaska

$12.99/lb

Edited by jon777 (log)

I'm also not a fan of Doris & Ed's.  Their prices have always been outrageously exhorbitant.  We stopped going there years ago because, for what I do consider way out of line prices, we never had anything but an o.k. meal.     

Wegmans, in Manalapan, had Copper River salmon for the first time last week at  $17/lb.

I'm headed to the Wegmans in Woodbridge tomorrow, hopefully they have the Salmon too.

sounds like this isn't an issue with the price of this fish, but rather the general pricing/value at Doris and Ed's.

it's quite silly to start comparing the price of raw materials with the price of a dish at a restaurant. there are many factors going into that final cost. something seasonal and perishable, like fish, is probably the least offender. pasta, a big offender.

$28.99/lb

$32.99/lb

$9.99/lb

$12.99/lb

That's a big difference in prices.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

$28.99/lb

$32.99/lb

$9.99/lb

$12.99/lb

That's a big difference in prices.

Hi Rosie and everyone... King Salmon runs appx 30. pr #

Sockeye runs appx 10. pr #

So if they are using a King as opposed to Sockeye... King Salmon can run to 2 or 3x the size of a Sockeye and hence the price differential. I hope that clears it up for everyone. :laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I'm also not a fan of Doris & Ed's.  Their prices have always been outrageously exhorbitant.  We stopped going there years ago because, for what I do consider way out of line prices, we never had anything but an o.k. meal.     

Wegmans, in Manalapan, had Copper River salmon for the first time last week at  $17/lb.

I'm headed to the Wegmans in Woodbridge tomorrow, hopefully they have the Salmon too.

Wegmans in Woodbridge had CRS for $18.99/lb. I asked why the Manalapan store had a different price, counter guy said each store sets its own prices, probably the Manalapan store was running a special. I found that odd. By the way, the salmon looked beautiful :wub: I'm not home to cook this weekend so didn't buy any - maybe during the week I'll stop by and pick up some.

Edited by lamb (log)

I was in the East Hanover Costco yesterday. They had Copper River Wild Sockeye Salmon filet for $8.99/lb. Not only was it a great price, but there were several not-so-gigantic pieces in the case. I picked up one that was 1.4 pounds. I'm looking forward to grilling it tonight.

Marie

NJDuchess

Marie-Let us know. If it is good I'll get over to Costco ASAP.

BTW-if anyone is interested in an e-mail reminder of Table Hopping send an e-mail to foodbytes@yahoo.com and put e-mail reminder in the Subject area.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We barbequed the Copper River Wild Sockeye Salmon from Costco tonight. It was quite good and flavorful. I think if I purchased it again, I actually might look for a thicker piece. It turned out to be somewhat thin, and the tail end was a little overdone when the other end was perfect. Perhaps this is the nature of sockeyes, in that they may simply be a smaller fish than other types. I would say that it was far superior to the farm-raised stuff.

NJDuchess

I was in the East Hanover Costco yesterday.  They had Copper River Wild Sockeye Salmon filet for $8.99/lb.  Not only was it a great price, but there were several not-so-gigantic pieces in the case.  I picked up one that was 1.4 pounds.  I'm looking forward to grilling it tonight.

Marie

I bought the Copper River Salmon there for the 2nd time on June 8th. The fish was $9.99 a pound the first time(about 2 weeks earlier) and $8.99 last week....and wonderful both times. They told me it is not there regularly, just whenever they are able to obtain it. I also got pieces that were about a pound and a quarter the first time and just under a pound and a half the second...

Nicholas menu

I'm also not a fan of Doris & Ed's. Their prices have always been outrageously exhorbitant. We stopped going there years ago because, for what I do consider way out of line prices, we never had anything but an o.k. meal.

Wegmans, in Manalapan, had Copper River salmon for the first time last week at $17/lb.

Sadly, I must share your opinion about Doris and Ed's...The food was just o.k., we felt the prices were very high, and we found that while our waitress was fine, the gentleman in charge did not seem to understand his role of being gracious or pleasant to the guests. In fact, he was so unpleasant that we wrote to the owner, got a pleasant reply but I would not be happy to return there. :sad: