• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Globe - Downwards Spin?

ABG

Went back to Globe on St. Laurent last week for the 1st time in a long time.... Not since the unfortunate death of one of the chefs. I see Sacha Lima heads up the kitchen now and I remember him from back when Fred Morin was still in charge. Menu was familiar and I was hopeful.

The biggest change I noticed is portion size... The nice roasted chicken breast went from a great meal with excellent sides, to a small little pathetic chicken, two carrot sticks and what probably was one mashed potato. What was once 5 scallops is down to 3. Even the bread portions seemed to have been managed by the waitstaff serving no more than 1 piece per person at the table. I left hungry and left I overpaid for what was served.

Anyone else experience this or was it a one bad night? I would not return based on my experiences, but I am hopeful that others still enjoy The Globe.

Went back to Globe on St. Laurent last week for the 1st time in a long time.... Not since the unfortunate death of one of the chefs. I see Sacha Lima heads up the kitchen now and I remember him from back when Fred Morin was still in charge. Menu was familiar and I was hopeful.

The biggest change I noticed is portion size... The nice roasted chicken breast went from a great meal with excellent sides, to a small little pathetic chicken, two carrot sticks and what probably was one mashed potato. What was once 5 scallops is down to 3. Even the bread portions seemed to have been managed by the waitstaff serving no more than 1 piece per person at the table. I left hungry and left I overpaid for what was served.

Anyone else experience this or was it a one bad night? I would not return based on my experiences, but I am hopeful that others still enjoy The Globe.

The last time I ate there was with a friend from Toronto. When it came time to take our order, our waitress who was a stunning Amazon hiked up her mini skirt to retrieve a pen from a garter belt to write down the order.

I realized then that despite having some great meals when David M. was the chef, Globe has never really been about the food.

Buena Note just went down, no booze for the next 21 days. South of Pine has been reduced to greasy rent-a-car hang outs, Cafe Melies and a few others being an exception.

What did they do to get 21 days?

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Buena Note just went down, no booze for the next 21 days. South of Pine has been reduced to greasy rent-a-car hang outs, Cafe Melies and a few others being an exception.

What did they do to get 21 days?

must have been the usual things, unmarked bottles ( not SAQ stamped ), too crowded, serving alcool without a meal ( it's a restaurant not a bar ) ...

( kind of off-topic )

It's a shame about St-Laurent, it's becoming too americanized! the big ugly american apparel store with big ugly white lights, the horrible pink candy store, the clubs that open and close nearly weekly !

Well I don't know...seems to me that when this crowd turned from eaters to drinkers, things went downhill. Chefs are what brought that street its reputation as a gourmet destination. But now the chefs are gone, and what are we left with? Bars, baby bars.

What about Med Grill? And Sofia?

It's a shame about St-Laurent, it's becoming too americanized! the big ugly american apparel store with big ugly white lights, the horrible pink candy store, the clubs that open and close nearly weekly !

sorry, i couldn't let this one go. americanized? is that now a euphemism for trashy? in any case it's the wrong word to use. american apparel is owned by a montrealer and all of their canadian operations are based here. besides, what does this have to do with food?

st-laurent below pine is following the path of many other once-trendy streets. soon it will join the ranks of crescent street and st-denis in the latin quarter. all the good stuff will migrate north.

sorry, i couldn't let this one go. americanized? is that now a euphemism for trashy? in any case it's the wrong word to use. american apparel is owned by a montrealer and all of their canadian operations are based here. besides, what does this have to do with food?

st-laurent below pine is following the path of many other once-trendy streets. soon it will join the ranks of crescent street and st-denis in the latin quarter. all the good stuff will migrate north.

I think trashy and amercanised where used in two different context by two different people and you put them together. You are completely right about American Apparel, Canadian product per say, manufactured in the US. I love their V necks and I like the fact that AA has brought the length of the Ts under the navel so we don't have to see so much bursting flabbing blubber still so often present south of Pine. So it is needed. I could do without so much old Vice photog style of razor burned underage crotches, but I guess Charney likes that.

The good stuff has migrated north long time ago. But we digress.