• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Magazine

Have you registered on the Web site and signed up for the e-mail updates?

http://www.therestaurantgame.com/

You can get a pretty good idea of the content this way.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

As one who was, quite rightly, critical of its early efforts, I have to say that the magazine has improved enormously.

The latest issue had some, excellent articles ( they still leaven this with some really bad articles, the one of Music in restaurants for e.g) and the design style has found its feet.

I confess it is not a magazine whose arrival I await with baited breath ( that would be Boxing News) but I do enjoy it when I read it.

Just wish they would give up on those awful, lazy punning headlines though.

S

i liked the first few issues and eagerly awaited publication day, but find now the focus has moved away from 'chefs and their restaurants' to more general topics.

I also took adavantage of the cheap subscription, the saying 'buy in haste repent at leisure' springs to mind!

don't think i saw a single article of merit in the 'music' issue and what was the 'bacon sarnie' issue all about???

it's becoming more a trade paper than a consumer/trade and i think the caterer pretty much has the trade angle covered.

you don't win friends with salad

What's this I see in this weeks edition of Restaurant magazine?

E-Gullet.com getting an honourable name check in an interview with Jay Rayner.

When asked "You spend a lot of time on the internet, in particular on a site called www.E-Gullet.com. Do you have a lot of spare time?"

Jay responds- "No, but I'm not very good at doing nothing- I need to disract myself"

Bravo.rolleyes:

Re : the magazine I agree, it has improved. This week there is a good article on the Napa valley and one about picking samphire on the Norfolk coast, with the chef at Morston Hall.( Pertinent for me as I am eating there in two weeks time).

Also an interesting article about the Top ten Restaurant rip offs.

improving??

my subscription (boo) copy came through yesterday and i read it last night and today, until your prompting would be hard pressed to remember anything about the mag other than the cheese article and J Rayner interview.

i thought it significantly better at the outset.

you don't win friends with salad

Well, if nothing else, I found this site through Restaurant Magazine (the Jay Rayner interview)... and this is my first post.

Actually I think Restaurant Magazine does quite a good job. It is difficult to cater (sorry!) to both the trade and the general public and overall I reckon it does a good job. You are never going to please everyone. The design is up to the mark and the range of topics is quite well balanced. OK, so some of the titles are a bit tacky, but you know what editors are like...

Chaz, welcome (please post a bio to get the official Big Bear seal of approval. Have a look at somne others to see what I mean).

I think Restaurant magazine is improving with each issue, is finding it's voice and place in the market, and reducing the number of silly factual errors which were irksome to say the least.