• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Huli Huli Chicken

Steven Raichlen's BBQ USA has 3 versions, one is a simple basic recipe, one has honey and lime, the third has pineapple.

I have only made the first one first one, but is is great and I have made it for 3 BBQ's I have had recently, I will also be making it this upcoming Saturday. :biggrin:

I can PM the recipe to you if you are interested.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

In Honolulu the most popular "Huli Huli" Chicken was generally quickly marinated in a Huli Huli Mix prepared by a local soyu sauce manufacturer who may have copyrighted the name.

They provided the outdoor large grills used to cook 1/2's of Chicken over charcoal for fund raisers by school's or organizations. It wasn't unusual for several thousand being served at any occasion.

We tried to make our special (more popular) by buying the soyu and adding our own flavorings while brushing then on the chickens toward the end of broiling over charcoal to enhance the taste.

Soy Sauce 1 quart

Dark Brown Sugar 1 pound

Grated fresh Ginger 1 pound

Dry Mustard Powder 4 ounces

Fresh Fine Chopped Garlic 2 cups

Ground White Pepper 3 tablespoons

Cider Vinegar 8 ounces

Dry White Wine 8 ounces (alcohol evaporates)

Soy Oil 1 pint

Everything mixed and shaken as being used and generally prepared the day before cooking to allow flavors to marry.

The Fresh Chickens were delivered shortly before serving, often kept on Ice as they would generally be cooked constantly for several hours until sold out.

The Chickens were not marinated, just dipped into the prepared marinade immediately before being placed on the grill screens prior to cooking, then brushed every time they were turned. The grill screens were large enough to hold 24/60 1/2 chickens per screen. If making at home it's easy to adjust the amount being done as home "Huli Huli" is not quite the same as a fund raiser.

We also had space available to let the Chickens set during cooking depending on the crowds. This setting lets the Chickens set and taste better after cooking. It a good idea to have a pan to rest your Chickens for a while when cooking at home. Practice makes perfect !

It's better to keep the coals or flame medium/low as the Chickens will not become charred and burnt looking just cooked evenly and better tasting. Often poultry will become charred on the exterior but still somewhat raw inside if heat is to high since the sugar can burn quicker in the marinade under high heat. If frequently turned the heat will dissipate evenly.

This was used for the marinate and for brushing on chickens while cooking

For the final brushing before serving the chickens we added some, "Toasted Sesame Oil" to enhance the finished flavor.

One thing I am sure about is, "NO PLACE" in Honolulu ever served "Huli Huli Chicken" with anything Pineapple.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.