• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any suggestions for a special dinner - the best Norfolk has to offer??

Plenty June- But all in the North Norfolk region, where we holiday each year. Can you give me a hint as to near where you are staying?

Norfolk is a bit of a culinary desert, there's Galton Blackiston's place of course so long as he stays in the kitchen (he'd be kind of scary in a dining room). Highly recommended is Adlards in Norwich, not easy to get into (quite small) so book well in advance.

Thanks.... I think we'll be near Wroxham... 8 miles from Norwich or there about?

I'm laughing about the Blakiston comment. He was my fiance's least favorite personality on the recent Cook for the Queen programme. I don't want him in the dining room!

there are some good places in swaffham (strattons - excentric, great house, organic food). A place called Terroir (vegetarian and good wine list) which I think you will find if you google. Morston Hall is a pleasant experience and there is a lot of thought going into their food. The Hoste Arms at Burnham Market is worth a trip just for their front bar alone but they do serve meticulousy sourced local produce simply executed.

bakerestates

Apologies for the tardy response June. I have been away stuffing my fat face in Ludlow :smile: .

As I wrote I can certainly help with North Norfolk- which, if you have never visited is quite beautiful. So I would suggest that you shoot up the A 140 to Cromer and then head West on the A 149, towards Hunstanton. En-route you wil pass Morston Hall- which I would recommend. It's a NO choice menu - but we enjoyed Blackiston's cooking very much.

You will then pass The Victoria at Holkham- also, very much worth a look. An interior which harks back to the Raj and confident cooking to boot. The beach, down the lane opposite is fabulous and was used for the closing scene of Shakespeare in Love.

Continuing West- head in land to Burnham Market or Chelsea-on-Sea, as it also known. You have two real choices The Hoste Arms as Bakerstates suggests. I am not a huge fan - all three meals I have eaten there over the last ten years have been average- and the service very poor on our last visit. A much better bet is Fishes - which I have posted about on here. Be warned it is solely a fish restaurant, so if one of your party hankers after red meat you will need to warn them in advance. The chef is ex Stein's Seafood Restaurant and Noble Rot in London.

Close by is a rather nice pub The Lord Nelson in Burnham Thorpe - which was where Nelson was born. The food there is also very good.

Continuing along the A149 - you will reach Brancaster Staithe and the fabulous White Horse. The views from the balcony and conservatory at the back are superb and the food, although predominantly seafood, is eclectic, yet confidently handled.

Finally - another pub worth a look is the famous Lifeboat Inn in Thornham. A 16th century Smuggler's inn. Although I am likely to be biased as we had our wedding reception there.

Have fun and let us know - how you got on. :smile:

Edited by Bapi (log)

Many thanks, Bapi. I've printed out your suggestions but can easily see we'll have to return to this area another time to really do it justice. Unfortunately, our time is very limited this trip - bad planning but a busy time of year. I'll let you know where we wandered.

Many thanks, Bapi. I've printed out your suggestions but can easily see we'll have to return to this area another time to really do it justice. Unfortunately, our time is very limited this trip - bad planning but a busy time of year.  I'll let you know where we wandered.

June, what have you done? All this talk of Norfolk has made me a book a weekend in August :smile:

A few links for you.

Morston Hall

The Victoria at Holkham

Hoste Arms

Fishes- Burnham Market

Lord Nelson- A rubbish web page I am afraid.

White Horse - Brancaster Staithe

The Lifeboat Inn

Enjoy :smile:

Bapi - thanks so much for going to the trouble of posting websites. That was really very nice of you. I don't work for the Norfolk Department of Tourism but am glad you'll be returning there since you seem to enjoy the area a lot as will we.

I thought that website was a bit muddled but not all that terrible. :-)