• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Restaurant for a group in York/Gettysburg

saycheese

I live in Washington, DC, but need to find a restaurant in the York/Gettysburg area for a group of about 15-20 people. We don't need a private room, or fancy food -- just good cooking and a decent wine list. The group is mostly families with children (probably around 8 yrs old to 18 yrs old). Casual is fine, as long as the food is good, but no chains. Thanks very much.

Hmm. That's not a question that immediately brings an answer to mind. In Hanover, between York/G-burg is an Italian restaurant we enjoy called La Cucina:

http://www.lacucinarestaurant.com/index.php

I don't know about wine there. I think it used to be BYOB, but as we aren't drinkers, I haven't paid attention to changes.

I'll try to think some more.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

• 4 weeks later...

I'm lookng for a place for about 40 people for the Columbus Day weekend (Saturday night). Most of the people in the group seem to wince when the cost per person goes over $20 so I guess that's another constraint. We'd prefer a private dining room or banquet room (we can get a bit rowdy) and good food. I hope I'm not asking for too much.

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!

Tommy Smothers

Right in the middle of York/Gettysburg on RT 30 is The Altland House. They have finer dining upstairs and a more casual downstairs. They are good at handling groups.

www.altlandhouse.com

La Cucina's just remodeled to be bigger and handle groups, but have no wines, yes it is still BYOB. I can honestly say eating there is hit or miss. It is about 10 minutes off RT 30 south of Abbottstown.

I grew up in York but know little about the restaurants there anymore. Gettysburg has neat historic places, but may not be able to handle large groups. Then again it is a fun place to tour then gather to eat.

IMHO.

If I hear of anything else I'll post.

Jennifer

whoa, i was at altland house on saturday. but it was for a wedding dinner so i can't comment on the food (OK one little comment: true to its central PA location, the meal involved no fewer than four starches*).

it's a really pretty place in a nice-looking town.

*corn, potatoes, stuffing, and bread. but don't take this as an insult; it's the food i was brought up with, and i'm rather fond of it.

I would suggest checking out Patty & John's restaurant, near Hanover, PA. I have eaten there several times and found it be one of the better choices in the area... albeit off the beaten path. They do plenty of group dinners and banquets, although I have never been there for that type of occasion, so don't know if the price or quality differs. For an evening meal in their restaurant (they also have a tavern), $20 might be tough.

Another budget option you might consider, if you don't need a sit down meal is Seven Valleys Winery. However, you would need to hire a caterer or bring in your own food. It is the perfect size though and is a very nice location. You can only serve their wines, and we brought in an extensive buffet of antipasti, cheeses, desserts which we put out as a stationary buffet and had a very nice party. They will also coordinate pig roasts for you.

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama