• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whey Protein in Chocolate Ganache

NickLam

Hi all,

One of my mates is a bodybuilder here and he loves chocolate, but doesn't really like buying it coz of the weight contracts that he is on. So, he asked if its possible to blend whey protein and make a chocolate ganache and enrobe it in really bitter chocolate so he can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Has anyone done that or see any pitfalls in that?

Thanks.

Well, it's going to soak up a lot of the fat and moisture, making it dryer - you might want to add a humectant to keep it feeling moist. I've found (in chocolate), that once you go about 12% protein (using a whey protein isolate, 90-95% protein), mouthfeel becomes fairly noticeable. Whey protein concentrates (80% protein) will be more difficult to work with because you'll need so much more to hit your target protein level. It certainly can be done though, just a matter of if it's acceptible to him or not - i tend to think it will be as most of the protein products out there (like bars) are frankly pretty bad, and suffer from significant hardening issues.

I strength-train, myself, and I really think that the best solution is to slam down a whey protein drink (mostly protein), and then have a real truffle/ganache.

I fight a never-ending battle with loving/hating/buying/eating protein bars, so this is a situation I've been in. I want to make my own bars, but then I think to myself, 'self, you really should just eat real food, high protein food, and then have a little REAL treat.'

But if you do find an actual solution/recipe - I'd love to see it. *grin*

Andrea

in Albuquerque

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I too am not exactly sure what you're attempting to do.

Are you talking about blending whey protein with water, i.e., making a water/whey protein shake and then using that with sweet chocolate to make ganache?

Or are you talking about adding whey protein to the tradition cream?

Whey protein has a bit of a cooked milk taste. It's really not terribly palatable, as has been previously mentioned. I've been working a bit with the other, less bioavailable milk protein casein. Casein tastes a lot better, but, like whey, has textural issues. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I think blending the casein thoroughly with liquid should help break down the particle size a bit and help with texture. I'd venture to say blending the whey might help as well.

Although casein is less bioavailable then whey, it's supposed to have some benefit to it- I think it relates to slower digestion or something like that. I'd try and sell your friend on using some casein along with the whey.

I've been pondering which liquid to use to blend. Cold cream will whip and prevent the proteins from blending correctly. Hot or warm cream may stay liquid, I'm not sure.

I strength-train, myself, and I really think that the best solution is to slam down a whey protein drink (mostly protein), and then have a real truffle/ganache. 

I fight a never-ending battle with loving/hating/buying/eating protein bars, so this is a situation I've been in.  I want to make my own bars, but then I think to myself, 'self, you really should just eat real food, high protein food, and then have a little REAL treat.'

But if you do find an actual solution/recipe - I'd love to see it.  *grin*

Andrea

in Albuquerque

Agree I do the same, if you are training and want some real chocolate just have a nice protein drink and have the truffle ( a good one that is worth the sacrifice :biggrin: ).

Vanessa

i do have a frined that fashioned a chocolate syrup out of cocoa powder and flax seed oil, if i recall correctly.

i can try to hunt down that recipe if y'all would like.