• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Downtown Toronto Dining

helenjp

Hi all, I'm usually on the Japan board, but my Conservative Diner husband actually ASKED me to find some info on eGullet for his very brief business trip to Toronto (and Ottawa, query posted separately) in early March.

He'll be staying in downtown Toronto, visiting software people, shepherding a junior from Japan, and no doubt being shepherded in turn by a guy from the US branch of his company.

They will be looking for quick lunches (and his travel budget is not huge), but he also wants to give the American colleague a good dinner by way of thanks for help with arrangements. He has a separate budget for that.

I doubt if he wants to travel out of the downtown area, as they will be busy all day, and jetlagged too! After a misspent youth as a tour guide and interpreter, he really hates starched shirt pomposity and dinners that last for hours. However, both he and the other Japanese colleague have lived overseas, so they'll try anything once, but probably want to know what's on the plate. Anything that will be interesting enough for an American (i.e., living in Japan, it's easy to get excited over a slice of cheese, but when you eat cheese every day...), but not too hard on a couple of tired Japanese?

Edited by helenjp (log)

JK Wine Bar? I *believe* they do reservations at lunch. They are a bit south and east of the "downtown core" proper though. Won't break the bank.

Canoe or Bymark as business-lunch type places likely enough to impress an American diner (sorry, but I read that as "conservative"). Both are more pricey however.

I personally like Harbour Sixty, a steakhouse also a little farther south, but they do admittedly tend towards the pompous (I've heard of a steakhouse called 65 Degrees that is supposed to be fairly casual)...so that might not fit. (JK, Canoe, and Bymark aren't particularly pompous, but I speak from personal experience only about the first 2).

Edited by Endy' (log)

Canoe and Far Niente are both good, Far Niente especially so for lunch. For dinner Harbour Sixty is very very good and they make absolutely fabulous martini's. Ruth's Chris is still a favourite of mine and if any of them are smokers, it is one of the few restaurants left in the city that still has a smoking room. (but only until June) And Tom Jones still makes one of the best steaks in the city..

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

JK Wine Bar?  I *believe* they do reservations at lunch.  They are a bit south and east of the "downtown core" proper though.  Won't break the bank.

Canoe or Bymark as business-lunch type places likely enough to impress an American diner (sorry, but I read that as "conservative").  Both are more pricey however.

I personally like Harbour Sixty, a steakhouse also a little farther south, but they do admittedly tend towards the pompous (I've heard of a steakhouse called 65 Degrees that is supposed to be fairly casual)...so that might not fit.  (JK, Canoe, and Bymark aren't particularly pompous, but I speak from personal experience only about the first 2).

Canoe is "the" power lunch place in Toronto - beautiful room and wonderful food. JK Wine bar is a foodie's place but not so much as to impress.

For an interesting dinner, just a short cab ride from the business district, may I reccommend Chiado - a Portuguese restaurant, wonderful food, and something different for both the Japanese and US contingent.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

for a business, "impress"/"expense account" lunch, you can do no better than canoe.

the emphasis on canadian ingredients, plus the room and the view make it a must for people visiting from out of town.

Canoe is great for lunch but not quick and not cheap so be warned that this might eat into the travel budget. I think Jamie Kennedy's is also good. I always like Far Niente and it is much easier on the pocket book. Bymark is a little on the expensive side but also equally good. You can always try to get up to Osgoode Hall which has a great room and the food is very cheap and very good.

officially left egullet....

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the information...

Me too. Thanks.

I have much the same question, and I too hang out elsewhere - the France Forum. But since I'm staying near the ballpark, are my evening ethnic choices any different than the suggestions you gave helenjp? I'm interested (if you're not familiar with my quirks) in good food, damn the decor and reasonable prices. Thanks.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Me too. Thanks.

I have much the same question, and I too hang out elsewhere - the France Forum. But since I'm staying near the ballpark, are my evening ethnic choices any different than the suggestions you gave helenjp? I'm interested (if you're not familiar with my quirks) in good food, damn the decor and reasonable prices. Thanks.

John,

Are you interested in stuff within walking distance? Are you willing to take a cab ride?

I think we've had a recent thread about food near the Dome. In any event, Ill chip in a couple of suggestions that are within a five or 10 minute walk. First, King St. a couple blocks north of the ballark, is chock-a-block with restaurants. Most of them are ok, but not really worth going out of your way for. However, there's a little place called Spoon that's in that strip, and has been garnering good reviews lately. I've never been, however.

Tutti Matti is a Tuscan place on Adelaide & Charlotte - about a one minute walk from Spoon.

If you're feeling homesick, Le Select Bistro has just moved to new digs on Wellington, west of the Dome. Again, a fairly short walk. Great wine selection, much loved in its former space, but have a new chef and been getting so-so reviews.

Thuet, who I believe is Alsatian, is a bit further, but still not far. He has recently bistro-ized his formerly luxe place (well, he's calling it a bistro now), on King right beside fusion-meister Susur Lee's two places (uh, Susur and Lee). Still expensive by Canadian standards (@$200 for two I think) but he's been getting raves for the new direction.

Chinatown's a short transit or cab ride up Spadina from the Dome.

Short cab rides would bring you to Queen West and Habitat (had a nice meal there last week, there's a recent thread in the Toronto forum) and Czhehoski. A couple of big blocks past that (still a short cab ride) there's the College St. strip (Bathurst to Ossington) which has dozens of restaurants. Just past that is Chiado, which is upscale Portuguese - perhaps something that you can't get in Paris? It has a sister resto within a few doors (can't remember the name) that is less pricey.

Jamie Kennedy's restaurants have been mentioned. I'll mention them again. Not too far from the Dome.

OK, that's a start.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Tutti Matti is a Tuscan place on Adelaide & Charlotte - about a one minute walk from Spoon.

Chinatown's a short transit or cab ride up Spadina from the Dome.

Short cab rides would bring you to Queen West and Habitat (had a nice meal there last week, there's a recent thread in the Toronto forum) and Czhehoski. A couple of big blocks past that (still a short cab ride) there's the College St. strip (Bathurst to Ossington) which has dozens of restaurants. Just past that is Chiado, which is upscale Portuguese - perhaps something that you can't get in Paris? It has a sister resto within a few doors (can't remember the name) that is less pricey.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I've eaten at Tutti Matti a few times, always had good food and service. In the middle re price range. The chef trained in Tuscany.

Chinatown has some good options, if that's what you're after.

I really like Chiado, very different for Canada. The sister place is Senhor Antonio and serves a tapas menu, I haven't eaten there.

Japango on Elizabeth, or Hiro on King for Japanese in the downtown core.

Fred's Not Here, The Red Tomato and Acme Bar and Grill are not overly upscale, but the food is pretty good and reasonable. I think they are all on or near King Street.

I happen to like the Lone Star Cafe as well, which is right across the street from what used to be the Crown Plaza Hotel. Again, not fancy, but they make their own tortilla wraps and chips onsite and both are good. I love their fahjitas. It's a better place for lunch than dinner probably. And again, the best steak in town is probably Barberians.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Wow, you guys are awesome. I realize (esp with Marlene watching) that we're not supposed to waste space saying thanks, but thanks.

I summered in Toronto during "the War" (I guess my folks' theory was that the U-Boats would have greater difficulty navigating the St Lawrence than the Atlantic Coast) and am constantly amazed on returning every few years at the number of great new places to eat.

I'm saving up a question on "typical Canadian food" for closer to my trip, but I'll be back in a month or so.

John Talbott

Me too. Thanks.

John,

Near the ballpark, check out Claudio Aprile's canapes in the bar at Senses, Metropolitan Hotel. It's certainly a worthy for dinner as well. At the Met's midtown location, Lah Wah Heen offers the country's best dim sum, and it hurts to say it. There's a new LWH coming, but not sure as to launch date.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

You mention typical Canadian food, try Canoe for dinner. It focuses on Canadian ingredients, and does it well. Lots of game, arctic char etc. and one of, if not the, greatest views of Toronto from a restaurant.

For a blow out meal, short cab ride away, Perigee, chef's choice tasting menu, open kitchen, best in Toronto in many of our opinions.

There's a new LWH coming, but not sure as to launch date.

??? can you elaborate?

John -- second Lai Wah Heen for dim sum, Canoe for "Canadiana", and Perigee for just being great. Disagree on steak -- that goes to Harbour Sixty; they're also easy walking distance from the "ballpark". Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar is great for a more casual meal. Personally, I'm fond of Starfish, an oyster bar/seafood restaurant that's about the same distance as the wine bar.

your "ethnic" choices near the ballpark are pretty limited, but if you give an idea of how far/long you're willing to travel to eat, we can go from there.

your "ethnic" choices near the ballpark are pretty limited, but if you give an idea of how far/long you're willing to travel to eat, we can go from there.

Well, I'm not willing to drive to Hamilton but anywhere reasonable with public transportation is OK. I'll come back to the "Canadian" lunch place later.

John Talbott

I maintain that downtown Chinatown is a wasteland (foodwise), and Richmond Hill is out of public transport range. For a start, try Koreatown (near Christie subway station on the Bloor line); that would be worth a meal.

I maintain that downtown Chinatown is a wasteland (foodwise), and Richmond Hill is out of public transport range.  For a start, try Koreatown (near Christie subway station on the Bloor line); that would be worth a meal.

I'm not sure I'll agree that downtown Chinatown is a wasteland - but I'm not sure it offers anything that can't be had around the Port D'italie or Belleville Chinatowns in Paris either.

I'll agree that Koreatown is worth a visit - I ventured up to Korean Village for lunch yesterday myself.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I'm not sure I'll agree that downtown Chinatown is a wasteland - but I'm not sure it offers anything that can't be had around the Port D'italie or Belleville Chinatowns in Paris either.

well, you're right; I can name 1 good Chinese restaurant in the downtown Chinatown area. I guess I was remembering the dim sum thread where I said that there are no good options in the downtown Chinatown (which I stand by, although Lai Wah Heen is downtown if not in Chinatown). But downtown still pales in comparison to Richmond Hill, enough so that I wouldn't recommend a special trip at all.

• 2 months later...
Tutti Matti is a Tuscan place on Adelaide & Charlotte
I'll agree that Koreatown is worth a visit - I ventured up to Korean Village for lunch yesterday myself.

Geoff - For whatever reason we ate at two of your suggestions. I thought the Korean Village was the best Korean I've ever had anywhere, including in Seoul while Tutti Matti was OK but not orbital level Tuscan. Thanks to all for helping out here (my other meals were largely at the Royal York and what one expects - although the catered one on the top floor clearly outclassed the other ones farther down.)

John Talbott

It's been around for a while and just in the last few years has seen huge jump in qaulity maybe you should try Monsoon in the theare district. Asian fusion, but not too frightening to scare off the more conservative of us. A very Zen experience.

And to echo a previous post, Le Select, on Wellington Street in their new location, is an other great choice for lunch or dinner.

Tutti Matti is a Tuscan place on Adelaide & Charlotte

Geoff - For whatever reason we ate at two of your suggestions. I thought the Korean Village was the best Korean I've ever had anywhere, including in Seoul while Tutti Matti was OK but not orbital level Tuscan. Thanks to all for helping out here (my other meals were largely at the Royal York and what one expects - although the catered one on the top floor clearly outclassed the other ones farther down.)

John,

Glad you enjoyed Korean Village. Do you remember what you had?

And glad you found Tutti Matti ok - I haven't been in a while, but most Italian places in town are pan-Italian. I like the places that concentrate on a region (although I do think it's ok to salt your bread, even in a Tuscan place).

Hopefully you can help me out next time I'm in Paris (which, given the new addition to the fam isn't likely for a while. Sigh).

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

John,

Glad you enjoyed Korean Village. Do you remember what you had?

You bet; sweet and sour soup that was not Chinese but Korean and fabulous and huge; then we stupidly had one octopus and one calamari dish each; we should one non-tenticular item but the sauce was different anyway, surprisingly.

And glad you found Tutti Matti ok - I haven't been in a while, but most Italian places in town are pan-Italian. I like the places that concentrate on a region (although I do think it's ok to salt your bread, even in a Tuscan place).

There we (a different we) had different salads (green and arugula) and different pastas (boar and duck); again we probably should have gone with one item that had not been walking on the ground.

Hopefully you can help me out next time I'm in Paris (which, given the new addition to the fam isn't likely for a while. Sigh).

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

My pleasure, that's what this is all about, isn't it, eh?

John Talbott