• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Terraces for Summer Dining

Freckles

Hello. We are enjoying some lovely weather here in Paris. Who knows how long it will last, since it's only March? However, the sunshine and warm breezes do serve as a reminder that summer is just around the corner, and I need to find some restaurants and bars that have especially nice outdoor dining and drinking facilities. What would you recommend, please?

Thanks,

Freckles.

I assume you've already considered the option of raiding the local traiteur and bringing a picnic to the banks of the Seine or the park below the Tour Eiffel...

In my brief parisian experiences, I've developed quite an affection for the Cafe Marche on the corner of Rue Cler (in the heart of the market) and Rue Champs de Mars in the 7th. Great people watching, great activity around the market, very traditional in look, feel and clientel (to this Yank, at least).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I had drinks at La Palette last night, which is one of my favorite places for drinks once the weather warms up. The terrace is rather large, so even though it's always packed you can normally snag a table after a short wait.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I think you have to define some parameters for your list; in good weather (and many times even in bad weather) there are literally thousands of outdoor tables in Paris. It is part of the culture. Probably over 80% of Paris restaurants do outdoor seating. Actually, it would be much easier to compile a list of Parisian restaurants that do NOT do outdoor seating!!

okay. parameters, eh? let's see. how about: fun people watching (whether "people" who are fellow-clients at the establishment, or pedestrians passing by)... a real restaurant or bar (not just a cafe where you can get a glass of mediocre wine or a limp salad)... mid-level price range... at least 50% of the clientele French... Most important, I'm looking for places where all of you enjoy sitting outdoors on a balmy evening, for whatever reason tickles your fancy.

• 2 years later...

This last week Le Figaroscope’s “Dossier” provided a list of places to eat with terraces whilst we are awaiting the reopening in September of the Pavillon Puebla in the Buttes Chaumont renamed Villa dell’Arte:

1st – L'Absinthe, Café Marly, L'Espadon Hôtel Ritz, Hôtel Costes + Restaurant du Palais Royal

2nd – La Fontaine Gaillon + Les Orchidées

4th – Georges

5th – Chantairelle + Le Zyriab at the Institut du monde arabe

6th – La Closerie des Lilas

7th – La Maison de l'Amérique Latine {my personal favorite for a great garden}

8th – L'Avenue, Bristol, Café Lenôtre, La Cour Jardin du Plaza Athénée, La Table du Lancaster, Le Cinq, Le Fouquet's, Hôtel Royal Monceau, Laurent, La Maison Blanche, Le Pershing Hall, La Place, La Terrace Montaigne + SAS Radisson

9th – Hôtel Amour

10th – Chez Prune + Point Éphémère

11th – Khun Akorn + Pause Café

12th – Le Square Trousseau

14th – La Cagouille + Le Pavillon Montsouris

15th – La Plage Parisienne + Le Quinzième

16th – Café de l'Homme, La Gare, La Grande Cascade, Hôtel Raphael, Le Pré Catelan, Le Rolland Garros, La Terrasse du Parc + Le Chalet des Iles du Bois de Boulogne

17th – Bistrot des Dames + Le Jardin d'Ampère

18th – A Beauvilliers + Terrass'Hôtel

19th – Café de la Musique + Le Rendez-vous des Quais

Neuilly – Durant Dupont + Café de la Jatte

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

This last week Le Figaroscope’s “Dossier” provided a list of places to eat with terraces whilst we are awaiting the reopening in September of the Pavillon Puebla in the Buttes Chaumont renamed Villa dell’Arte:

1st – L'Absinthe, Café Marly, L'Espadon Hôtel Ritz, Hôtel Costes + Restaurant du Palais Royal

2nd – La Fontaine Gaillon + Les Orchidées

4th – Georges

5th – Chantairelle + Le Zyriab at the Institut du monde arabe

6th – La Closerie des Lilas

7th – La Maison de l'Amérique Latine {my personal favorite for a great garden}

8th – L'Avenue, Bristol, Café Lenôtre, La Cour Jardin du Plaza Athénée, La Table du Lancaster, Le Cinq, Le Fouquet's, Hôtel Royal Monceau, Laurent, La Maison Blanche,  Le Pershing Hall, La Place, La Terrace Montaigne + SAS Radisson

9th – Hôtel Amour

10th – Chez Prune + Point Éphémère

11th – Khun Akorn + Pause Café

12th – Le Square Trousseau

14th – La Cagouille + Le Pavillon Montsouris

15th – La Plage Parisienne + Le Quinzième

16th – Café de l'Homme, La Gare, La Grande Cascade, Hôtel Raphael, Le Pré Catelan, Le Rolland Garros, La Terrasse du Parc + Le Chalet des Iles du Bois de Boulogne

17th – Bistrot des Dames + Le Jardin d'Ampère

18th – A Beauvilliers + Terrass'Hôtel

19th – Café de la Musique + Le Rendez-vous des Quais

Neuilly – Durant Dupont + Café de la Jatte

Nth. La Corniche, overlooking the Averyron gorge. Great if the chef is sober that day.

• 10 months later...

Dreaming of Paris ..........Would any of you have suggestions for terrasses (preferably with a view) on which one can pleasantly laze away an hour or two in the early evening whilst enjoying a glass of wine and a plate of charcuterie or other tapas-like morsels?

La Palette in the 6th has a beautiful terrace overlooking a quiet street, however the owner can be rather unfriendly (bordering on rude) if you doesn’t know you, but if you can over look that it’s a great place for a glass of wine in the summer. They don’t really have tapas, but you can get small plates of charcuterie and cheese.

For tapas I love Da Rosa on rue de Seine, the view isn’t that great, but they have amazing products like cured Spanish ham, all sorts of olives, brushcetta, delicious tarama, foie gras, smoked salmon etc.

Dreaming of Paris ..........Would any of you have suggestions for terrasses (preferably with a view) on which one can pleasantly laze away an hour or two in the early evening whilst enjoying a glass of wine and a plate of charcuterie or other tapas-like morsels?

Depends what view you want – Tokyo Eat for the Eiffel Tower (once it's open on the terrace), Saut du Loup (just reviewed by me and others) for the Tuileries and Louvre, Georges for the view from the Pompidou, Terrasse Mirabeau for the 16th street scene, Drouant for the downtown street scene, Viaduc Cafe for the arty street scene, Cigale Recamier for that end of the alley scene, Restaurant du Palais-Royal for the “you know what,” Pavillion Montsouris, Pre Catalan + Grande Cascade ditto, Le Pavillion des Princes for that and a view of the lake, Maison de Amérique Latine as well as all the grand hotels’ interior courtyard terraces for the absence of a street scene.

John Talbott

Depends what view you want – Tokyo Eat for the Eiffel Tower (once it's open on the terrace), Saut du Loup (just reviewed by me and others) for the Tuileries and Louvre, Georges for the view from the Pompidou, Terrasse Mirabeau for the 16th street scene, Drouant for the downtown street scene, Viaduc Cafe for the arty street scene, Cigale Recamier for that end of the alley scene, Restaurant du Palais-Royal for the “you know what,” Pavillion Montsouris, Pre Catalan + Grande Cascade ditto, Le Pavillion des Princes for that and a view of the lake, Maison de Amérique Latine as well as all the grand hotels’ interior courtyard terraces for the absence of a street scene.

Spot on John, just what I was hoping for. In the mean time I found another one: Le Cafe Very in the Jardin des Tuileries. The food should improve now that Gilles Choukroun is advising them on their spring menu (see here).

I think Chez Francis fits this category; it has a good view of the Eiffel Tower and the Seine with the Bateaux Mouches since it is right on the Place de l'Alma. They serve good platters of seafood and have a better than average plate of carpaccio. Another popular terrace is that of The Brasserie de l'Isle St. Louis overlooking Notre Dame. Feel free to check out my thread today on brasseries for more info.

Edited by Laidback (log)

• 1 month later...

Last week’s A Nous Paris listed several restaurants where you can dine under the stars, including the following in Paris:

La Table du Lancaster, Le Transversal, Il Cortile, L’Hotel Amour, Le Saut du Loup and L Eclaireur

And for a few suggestions outside of Paris

Sens in Levallois Perret, Le Xylo and L’Heureux Pere both in Saint Cloud

• 2 weeks later...
No problem - but I'm still interested in hearing members' thoughts, too.  The list is a good starting point, but nice to get some specific feedback on the members' favorites!

Its a wonderful idea .There is nothing more pleasurable than sipping wine while gazing at a beautiful view.Here are some options

La plage .Quai de grenelle(15e).The river is at your feet.

Ziryab. Top of l'institut arabe.Panoramic view with marroccan goodies.

Le notre cafe.Hotel novotel .quai de grenelle.Wonderful pastries

Please note that the pleasure is in the view and perhaps the wine and not necessarily the food.

• 2 weeks later...

Whole other list: ParuVendu of 28 June:

Il Cortile

Le Saint James & Albany

Henkel Cafe

Cafe Medicis

l'Entrepot

Cafe du Musee d'Art Moderne

Le Roland Garros

Le Pere Lapin

Le Xylo in the Saint Cloud Park

Sens/Evergreen Laurel Hotel

La Terrasse Fleurie/Westin Hotel

Le Jardin des Cygnes/Prince des Galles Hotel

John Talbott

And yet another from this week's l'Express Styles:

La Plage

Au Pere Lapin

Table du Lancaster

O Restaurant

Xylo

Mini Palais

Cafe Medicis

l'Hereux Pere

l'Estaminet d'Aromes & cepages

Cafe Very

Cristal Room Baccarat

Le Saut de Loup

PAvillion Puebla

l'Entrepot

Park Hyatt Vendome

Grande Cascade

Musee Rodin

Jardin de Montreuil

Jardins de Bagatelle

Fauchon

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...

Chez Lena et Memile is indeed a splendid location, with a terrace at the top of an upward slope and a flight of steps, and looking out over a fountain, but in our experience the food was nothing special and the service rather on the surly side. It was indeed a romantic evening but we had to provide the romance ourselves.

Edited by John Whiting (log)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Today in Le Monde Jean Claude Ribault gave more places, most of which are open in August, with terraces, including one new one, the Mini Palais in the Grand Palais, erroneously described by him previously as a Cuban restaurant:

Au clocher du village

Chez les Anges

Rech

Mavrommatis

Pasco

La Petite Cour

Hôtel Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme

La Cour Jardin

Les Ombres

La Maison Blanche

Sens (La Terrasse)

Jarasse

Le Coq de la Maison Blanche

Bistro & Cie (Willy Dorr)

L'Absinthe

La Cagouille

Mini-Palais

John Talbott

There is a free monthly magazine, Newzy that has just published it’s first-ever not-free (3 €) Guide as tested by Jean Pleumartin, Bruno Verjus and Ingrid Astier, with a list of places with:

Terraces and gardens

Le Moulin de la Galette

Le Diane

Laurent

L’Espadon

Georges

La Table du Lancaster

La Maison blanche

Les Ombres

Le Saut de Loup

Flora Danica

John Talbott