• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bailey's Smokehouse

Jason Perlow

Thanks for stopping in everybody (lurkers included). The corn is from Van Houten's Farm Stand on the corn of Sickletown Rd(CR 23) and Blauvelt Rd. We are on track for a mid September opening with a charity pig roast outside for the kick off!!

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

• 1 month later...

Made it over to Bailey's last night to see what was brewing with Fink's new menu/new place. Seems that the lower restaurant is not opened but the new menu has been rolled out. Bailey's basically took their menu and merged it with Finks. The menu appears to be the original BIG Bailey's double sided, laminated sheet menu, but on closer inspection I was thrilled to find it filled with all the old Fink specialties - including the barbereuban and the barbecuban. We had both. They were great - along with a side of the corn souffle.

The menu is a nice balance between Fink's and Baileys. You can get the great smoked meats or you can go for what looked like really good pizza. We were there about 7 on a weeknight and the place was absolutely packed. Ended up waiting over an hour for our meals from the time we ordered, but the apologetic attitude of the waitress along with a round of free drinks and one of the sandwiches 'on the house' more than made up for it.

The staff was so very busy that we really didn't get a chance to ask about what was going on downstairs. With the merged menu, I can't imagine Fink having a second complete menu down there as well.

Anyone have any updates as to what's going on?

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Things are chugging along at Bailey's. The wait issues in the last post were addressed (staffing issues) and a few changes may be noticed if you haven't been in a while. There are a few booths upstairs and the outside has been totally redone. The downstairs actually has had much progress made and should open by year's end, if not sooner. I mean it, really. Sorry for the silence but I recently became a dad in an emergency c section that went well in the end so my spare time has been devoted to sleep. Anywho I hope to see you guys soon and check out our review on a cool bbq website: pigtrip.net.

Thanks, Fink

Hi all

Things are chugging along at Bailey's.  The wait issues in the last post were addressed (staffing issues) and a few changes may be noticed if you haven't been in a while.  There are a few booths upstairs and the outside has been totally redone.  The downstairs actually has had much progress made and should open by year's end, if not sooner.  I mean it, really.  Sorry for the silence but I recently became a dad in an emergency c section that went well in the end so my spare time has been devoted to sleep.  Anywho I hope to see you guys soon and check out our review on a cool bbq website: pigtrip.net.

Thanks, Fink

Congrats on the babe! What fun.

Made another trip last week with 4 friends. Everything was terrific with one question. Those nachos. Absolutely delicious but not really in a nacho sort of way. No chips. Well, not NO chips, but maybe 4 (yes, actually 4) smooshy things that looked like chips under a kickass pile of chili and cheese and everything else. We all dug in with our forks and knives, but were left wondering if it was a mistake (one guess was that the kitchen ran out of chips and, with all the extra wonderfulness on the plate, was hoping we wouldn't notice OR they were supposed to be that way and so be it, they were good but really should be called Crunchless Nachos or some such thing.

No worries though - we'll be back. :-)

WTC

Sounds odd. There should be a whole lotta chips, I couldn't tell you why, because we try to just be out of things rather than sell the wrong/sub par item. Sorry. Glad to here you still enjoyed them though.

I finally made it to Bailey's for some BBQ tonight, and it did not disappoint. I took my little brother to the Palisades Center to see Borat (hysterical!) and we headed to Bailey's after. We ordered the sampler for 4, knowing there would be leftovers. Instead of 3 large sides, Fink sent out 6 small ones: beans, carrots, slaw, collards, shells w/ cheese, and the corn souffle. All were excellent, but the corn souffle was out of this world. As far as the meats, the brisket was insanely good and the pulled pork and pulled chicken were superb. Our platter came with a half a rack of baby backs and St. Louis. I preferred the St Louis. The sausage was good and spicy, but slightly overcooked in my opinion. I can't comment on the chicken, because we were both too full to even try it. I mixed the leftover pulled pork and beans to eat along with the chicken for lunch tomorrow. Fink was gracious enough to come out of the kitchen to say hello to us. He told me that they are using a new kind of brisket and it's spectacular. Fink, it's GREAT to be eating your food again. I now have more incentive than ever to hit up Palisades for a movie and Bailey's for dinner! To top it all off, with 2 sodas, tip and tax, the meal came to $62. It is quite a bargain for the amount of food served. It could have easily served 3 big eaters or 4 normal eaters.

-Al

Congratulations and best wishes on the little one, Fink!

So the next time I go the brisket will be even better?!! Terrific news- I didn't think it would be possible.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

• 2 weeks later...
So the next time I go the brisket will be even better?!! Terrific news- I didn't think it would be possible.

The brisket is incredible! I had the BarbeReuben over the weekend and it was delicious. The brisket is full of flavor and so tender! I had been very loyal to the BarbeCuban and am going to have a very tough time deciding which to order in the future.

Also, had the nachos with pulled pork. They included the vinegar based slaw on top of the chips, cheese etc....mmmmmm!

Also, had the nachos with pulled pork.  They included the vinegar based slaw on top of the chips, cheese etc....mmmmmm!

I've got to give those a try on my next visit. We went yesterday after golf and I tried the smoked sausage sandwich. It was good, but I think the other offerings are much better. I saw a couple sitting at the bar enjoying the bbq sampler for two and taking quite a few pics of the plate. Figuring they must be egulleters, I went over and introduced myself. Nope, they had no idea what I was talking about. :biggrin::blush:

Edited by adrman (log)

judging by my recent visit, i'd say that fink is on top of his game. and with beer in the mix this time around? a home run. article here, for now.

He turns out ribs (baby back and St. Louis-style spareribs), brisket, pulled pork, and chicken, plus house-smoked sausage. All carry the tang of the wood and the depth of flavor that comes with long, careful smoking, but try one of the several sampler plate options, and you'll see that each item has been respectfully treated as an individual.

damn straight.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the downstairs room is open yet?

I was there this past week and spoke to fink.

He told me that it was another 2 weeks or so,

the downstairs looked real nice (like a steakhouse)

and is much nicer than upstairs.

Ate there on Saturday, had a table buster and beef ribs (last 3 portions left),

they were huge and meaty. I was told

they will have beef ribs every other weekend.

In addition I was told that they were getting a new cut

of brisket that will be better than before (I find that

hard to believe, but fink feels the brisket will be even better

than before....again....I can't believe it because the brisket was fantastic before)

• 1 month later...

went to bailey's for dinner tonight. basement area was open for business - and has a separate entrance allowing you to bypass the bar area upstairs if you want.

i ordered the pulled pork sandwich, and my girlfriend ordered the trio of mini-sandwiches, allowing a taste of the pulled pork, brisket, and pulled chicken. overall, i thought the food was outstanding. my favorite pulled pork is at daisy may's, and this was extremely close, better in some ways, not as good in other ways... but far better than any other pulled pork i've had elsewhere. brisket was also good - but we may have gotten lucky there.... it seemed like almost the entire sandwich was the "burnt end" portion... had a nice crispiness -- really delicious, and probably the best brisket i've had in the nyc area.

highly recommended, and with new seating, should provide a comfortable ambience for anyone looking for a good, relaxing meal.

• 3 months later...

[admin: merged threads]

For all the fan's of Finks Funky Chicken and Ribs, formerly in River Edge, Fink isnow at Bailey's Smokehouse, just over the NYS line. There is a great food review in todays Record.

Click here for the article

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 5 months later...