• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bailey's Smokehouse

Jason Perlow

Bailey's Blauvelt

136 Erie St E, Blauvelt, NY

(845) 398-1454

Today we got a preview of Bailey's Smokehouse, the new BBQ restaurant that is to be housed within Bailey's Blauvelt Inn, an established Bar and Grill place on Route 303, just down the road from the Palisade Center Mall. For you New Jerseyans, thats about 20 minutes up the Palisades Parkway from Northern Bergen County.

The kitchen will be led by no other than Dave "Fink" Finkelstein, previously of Stickey's (Teaneck) and Fink's Funky Chicken and Ribs (River Edge)

Currently he is just getting the Barbecue up to spec, and the full menu isn't ready yet, but if you come in and play nice, you can get Ribs (both St. Louis and Baby Back) Pulled Pork, Brisket and Smoked Chicken.

gallery_2_3026_263205.jpg

Bailey's, on Erie Street just 2 blocks off Route 303 in Blauvelt, NY.

gallery_2_3026_113441.jpg

This Southern Pride Smoker, along with a custom rig (both originally from Stickey's) will be producing the Barbecue. Wood is Cherry.

gallery_2_3026_148654.jpg

gallery_2_3026_296508.jpg

FINK!!!!!

gallery_2_3026_373875.jpg

The upstairs Sports Bar.

gallery_2_3026_232441.jpg

Deck area, for Al Fresco Dining.

gallery_2_3026_157755.jpg

The famous Fink Barbereuben.

gallery_2_3026_265811.jpg

BBQ Beans

gallery_2_3026_238786.jpg

Shells and Cheese

gallery_2_3026_45718.jpg

Ribs. The Barbecue now has a Apple/Honey BBQ sauce on it that goes great with the dry rub.

gallery_2_3026_349008.jpg

Sampler Platter of Baby Backs, Spare Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket and Chicken.

gallery_2_3026_262461.jpg

Brisket Closeup. Hand sliced baby.

gallery_2_3026_190557.jpg

Another look at them ribs.

gallery_2_3026_139655.jpg

Beanless Chili. Very strong cumin flavor and spicy, intended for use on their Hot Dogs and Nachos.

gallery_2_3026_862.jpg

The downstairs BBQ dining area, which is still under construction.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It's been almost 2 years since I last had a BarbeRueben, I've missed ya Dave! Love the new handlebar mustache too!

The BarbeReuben, huh? Sounds like a trip northward is in my future....

Is the Palisades Center Mall the HUGE mall that's in West Nyack?

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

There's a Bar-B-Cuban, too. Cuban Sandwich with Pulled Pork.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

MmmMMMmm looks like I may have to stop in before we leave NJ! Fink welcome back I'm sure you'll make a great addition to Blauvelt. Is there a site/link for the menu and other information at all? Thanks in advance, take care, goodluck! :biggrin:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

They don't even have a menu that includes the barbeque yet (the various 'cue are all "specials"). The place is locally known for their wings, bar pizza, burgers. It's a sports bar & hangout for local softball teams, etc. In fact, Fink suggested that we not go on Friday or Saturday night, the place is packed with locals who are just starting to learn how good they're getting it (but most of them order the wings, etc.). At lunch during the week? It's empty.

Use mapquest or yahoo to get basic directions. Once you're on 303 N, just make a left at the first light after the Blauvelt sign. The street sign is highly visible, there's an HSBC bank on the corner. If you're heading south on 303 (like from the mall), make a right onto Erie, it's just down the road from Khan's Mongolian Barbeque. There's plenty of parking.

Damn those ribs look amazing. These pics are torture for carless city dwellers like me!........Is it near a Metro North stop?  :wink:

You could take a train to Pearl River or North of there and hop a bus or taxi I think, someone from that area may know better or maybe you can hop a ride with an egullet foodie! :laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I don't usually travel over an hour for food, but in this case, I may have to make an exception!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Wow am I just getting gooffier looking as I age or what? So, yes, it is true, and there are pictures to prove it, I am cooking in Blauvelt, It take me 20-30 minutes via local roads to get there from River Edge, so it's not too bad a run from central Bergen County. Right now the bbq menu is in development and some work is being done on equipment, dining room, etc so the bbq and sides are pretty much specials. Today, tuesday, I have baby back ribs and brisket. I will also have chicken at dinner time. Pulled pork will definately be around later in the week and I have been making corn bread and such for the weekends.

The new menu is going to have a lot of Fink's old favorites and some new stuff too. The cottage fries, the BBQ beans, the Screaming Chicken Sauce and the bread pudding with bourbon cream sauce will be joined by the Barbecuban, hand carved smoked turkey breast, and a fried dessert sampler.

Bailey's also currently has excellent pizza starting at 5pm (12 on weekends) and a wing-pizza-pitcher deal for $20 available during pizza hours. If you are looking to watch a game there is not a bad seat in the house with at least 15 TVs in the bar.

The regular kitchen is open from 11-10:30 seven days a week; the bar is open til it 3:45am.

Friday nights are very busy starting at about 5:30 and it doesn't really stop all night. Saturdays are much more moderate and not as loud so getting a table is much easier.

As far as catering goes, we have a hall up the street that seats up to 150 and has a field available for outdoor occasions. We also do full off premise catering. Pigs, turkeys (fried or smoked), whole briskets, etc are also available.

So I am looking forward to seeing many old friend from Jersey and am already making a lot of new ones in NY.

See you soon,

Fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

Today, Wednesday, we have baby back ribs, bbq chicken, pulled pork, and our new Bailey's Smoked Pork Sausage. We also have bbq beans and slaw and I will make Shells and Cheese for dinner service too.

Fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

See you soon,

Fink

Glad I caught this thread. You're just a few minutes from the golf course I play at in River Vale. The bar there can be a bit challenged food-wise, so you'll be a fine post round lunch alternative. I'll probably head over next weekend.

Made it to Bailey's last night. Had the pulled pork sandwich and he had the ribs. Long story short, we can't wait for the full menu to be up and running. A couple of specials written on a sheet of paper just isn't enough! :-)

Went to bed with hair smelling like a smokehouse. Nice added extra.

Stopped at Bailey's for lunch today after my round. Folks, Dave makes some good stuff. The brisket was fantastic. Even though it wasn't on the menu, Dave was kind enough to make up a barbereuben for me. When he got the request from the bartender he figured egulleteers must be present and came out to introduce himself. I also saw some of the ribs go by to yet another table of egulleteers (I believe Maddog and friends) and they looked excellent as well. This bbq was good enough that I'd just make the drive from Manhattan for dinner. Next time, the barbeCuban. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Ate at Baileys last night. 5 Of us sat in an alcove in the bar and asked Fink to send out a sampler platter. A huge platter came out including smoked turkey, bbq chicken, a barbereuben, baby backs, pulled pork and brisket. Sides were beans, coleslaw and mac and cheese. For dessert bread pudding and chocolate souffle w/rasberry sauce.

Everything was so good that we kept eating long after we should have stopped.

Fink says the full menu should be up in about a week. I figure that if I fast 6 days, I can eat there on the 7th.

Edited by ALANBF (log)

• 3 weeks later...

To Fink or anybody else who has been to Bailey's lately:

This past Saturday afternoon I was driving by (with my 4 year old in tow), and nearly stopped in for lunch but then thought the better of it. Is it cool to bring the wee ones here?

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Is it cool to bring the wee ones here?

We stopped in on a Friday evening and there were plenty of kids eating pizza & wings with their parents. When we went for (a late) lunch on a weekday there weren't any kids, mostly adult men hanging out at the bar, but it wasn't a roudy crowd. Since there's no smoking, and there are a bunch of video games in the new dining room, I'd say they're expecting kids, especially in that new room.

Is it open yet, Fink?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice lunch today at Bailey's:

gallery_2_3026_59112.jpg

BBQ Brisket Sandwich (Ordered by JHLurie)

gallery_2_3026_76459.jpg

1/2lb Burger, Medium Rare, with American Cheese, Shrooms, Bacon and Sauteed Onions. Excellent.

Another fine lunch today at Bailey's:

gallery_2_3026_67636.jpg

BBQ Pulled Pork Nachos. Excellent, but very filling.

gallery_2_3026_34106.jpg

Babyback Ribs with Fries and Corn on the Cob. Excellent, corn was really good too.

gallery_2_3026_54202.jpg

BBQ Chicken

God those pics make me hungry.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"