• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Classic Arcade Themed Cocktails

trcroyle

I'm in the process of building a home arcade game (a sit down cocktail cabinet, naturally) and am finally getting close enough to finishing that I'm beginning to plan the christening party. What goes better with an arcade cocktail cabinet than arcade themed cocktails? Oddly enough, there don't seem to be any in my cocktail books. So I'm stuck with making up my own, which is turning out to be a more daunting task than I'd originally anticipated. That's where you all come in! Here are some quick ideas I jotted down,

The Frogger (just a renamed Leap Froghttp://cocktaildb.com/recipe_detail?id=3296)

Shake in iced cocktail shaker & strain

3/4 oz fresh lime juice (2 cl, 3/16 gills)

1 oz light rum (3 cl, 1/4 gills)

1 oz apricot flavored brandy (3 cl, 1/4 gills)

1/2 oz grenadine (1.5 cl, 1/8 gills)

I made this the other night and it was tasty enough for me to have another (I used Fees Brothers grenadine). It looks like a ton of grenadine, but the lime really cuts the sweetness here. It comes out blood red, so I dropped a lime wedge in for a frog garnish. Game over!

The Ms Pacman

This one is still vague, probably something with lemoncello since I made a ton this year. As soon as Bing cherries come in season I'm going to buy up a jarfull of twins and start them soaking in Brandy for the garnish.

The Spy Hunter

I'll stick with a James Bond theme here that people will recognize: Vodka Martini, shaken not stirred.

The Donkey Kong

While it's tempting, no creme de banane in this one! I'm thinking either go with Mario and make an Italian drink, or go with Kong and make something bourbon based (What else do you think is in those barrels!). A flamed orange peel garnish seems de rigueur.

The Asteroid

Rocks, and lots of them! It might even be fun to mix up some normal size ice and some crushed ice. The drink almost seems superfluous. Maybe just something simple and clear like a gin and tonic.

The Pole Position

I can't believe there isn't already a Racecar cocktail. Maybe a sidecar or one of it's variations. A little checkered flag as a garnish would be a cute touch.

Tapper

Some wise guy always asks for a beer.

Marble Madness

I'm thinking a Gibson, but use a red cocktail onion instead of the standard white to stand in for the Marble.

Other classic games that could lend their names:

Robotron, Galaga, Joust, Centipede, Gyruss, Tempest, Defender, Tron, Dig Dug, Gauntlet, Galaxian, Missile Command, Time Pilot, Elevator Action, Scramble, Moon Patrol, Mr. Do!, Track & Field, 1942, Gorf, Phoenix, Qix, Berzerk, Burger Time, Stargate, Battle Zone, Rampage, Xevious, Dragon's Lair, Sinistar, Zaxxon, Q*bert, Space Invaders...