• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Sticky Rice and Mango

is it possible to make mango and sweet sticky rice WITHOUT a steamer?  how?

we buy mangoes at the atlanta dekalb farmer's market--they all come up from mexico and sometimes they're good, sometimes they're not, but they're never as good as they are in mexico

I for one have never made mango and sweet sticky rice.  Where did you have that?  I know I had a mango souffle with a side of jasmine scented sweet sticky rice in SIngapore.

Do you ever cook with green unripe mangoes?  How do they compare to what you grew up eating?

• 1 year later...

I finally bought one of those Thai sticky rice steamer baskets and made Thai sticky rice for the first time. I soaked 1 1/2 cups of sweet rice overnight--steamed it for about 20 minutes then mixed it with about 1/2 a cup of coconut milk a few tablespoons of sugar, a pinch of salt. It tasted great (with mango of course) but I realize I am missing the drizzle of sauce that goes on top.

Has anyone else made this? Any ideas for the sauce? Is it just more thickened and sweetened coconut milk?

Thanks!

I make sticky rice often. I like lots of coconut milk, a bit of sugar, and the only other thing I add -- besides the fruit, of course -- is toasted sesame.

I also find it really tastes better if you add just a pinch of kosher salt with the coconut milk. Just a pinch makes a world of difference -- at least to me.

It just occurred to me, what you may think of as an additional sauce may be palm sugar sprinkled over the taop -- it becomes an amber liquid when moistened.

Edited by Comfort Me (log)

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I'm no expert in Thai cooking, but I have made Mangoes and Sticky Rice at home quite often and had it in lots of restaurants.

My recipes have a thick coconut cream sauce spooned over the mangoes (and this is also what I've had eating out).

For the 1 1/2 cups cups of sticky rice you used, here is the recipe for the sauce:

3/4 thick cup coconut cream

2 Tbs sugar

1/4 tsp salt

Just mix all three ingredients together in a saucepan and heat until just boiling. Then turn off heat and let cool.

I use 'regular' coconut milk for cooking with the rice and the thick cream for making the sauce. If using canned coconut milk, chill the can and spoon off some of the thickened layer on top to use for the thick cream (can mix with some 'regular' coconut milk; just want the final coconut for sauce to be thicker than the other used for rice cooking) I

f making your own milk and cream from coconut try the following:

for the coconut milk: 3 cups grated dry or fresh coconut and 5 cups hot or cold water, respectivelly

for the coconut cream: 3 cups grated dry or fresh coconut and 3 cups hot or cold water, respectively.

To make any of these, put coconut and water in bowl and let sit for 15 minutes. Mix well by hand, then strain through strainer or cheesecloth.

In restaurants I've had the dish where the rice is warm or not. I prefer it the following way: warm rice, chilled mangoes, sauce at room temperature. And yes... toasted seseame seeds sprinkled over all is very good.

For me this has made a wonderful dish that tastes as good as the best I've had in restaurants. I'll give the caveat that I defer to any student of Thai cooking though, since all I've learned of Thai cooking has been through cookbooks and restaurant eating in the SF Bay area. (I've never been to Thailand).

edited to add: and yes, if you aren't already doing this and per Comfort Me's post, salt is added both in cooking the rice and as above, for the sauce. I've cooked rice with the following amounts: 1 1/2 cups sticky rice, 3/4 cup coconut milk, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp salt.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Pim--if you're still here, please comment. I really love this dish would like to know more!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

My recipe is on Chez Pim.

To make the coconut cream to pour on top, just heat up some coconut cream until slightly thicken, add a bit of salt, and perhaps even sugar if you'd like. The coconut cream topping should be more salty than sweet to provide a counter balance to the sweet coconut milk and mango.

In Thailand, we sometimes sprinkle roasted yellow mung bean on top to provide an added crunch.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

I use coconut cream, the thick part of coconut milk that floats to the surface when chilled, and add sugar to taste. I then reduce this to thicken it and pour it over the rice and mongos, garnished with shredded lime rind.

-- Jason

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone,

Any suggestions for the best coconut milk brand out there? and with the sticky rice I've been told that it the after the rice is soaked it is wrapped in cheese cloth then steamed..it is undercooked any suggestions?

The problem is that you used sicky rice......try sticky rice next time. Har har :laugh:

Ok, sorry. :wacko:

As for coconut milk, see if your grocer has any in cartons in the refridgerator section. IMO it is far superior in flavour than anything you'll find in a can.

Can't help with the steaming the rice in cheesecloth....I never heard of doing it that way.

What recipe are you using.. I just got these mangos sent to me house and this sounds perfect..This might be different.. A mango sticky rice sushi roll.. Take sweet sticky rice and fill with mango or sugared mango.. Covered with a mango coulis.. If there is a way I can throw bacon in there, it will be found..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Ok.. well now I would like to ask for someone's exact recipe, please..

It's conveniently in today's NYT Minimalist column.

Sticky rice with mango

Some recipes also call for the coconut sauce added seperately at the end (on top of the mangoes and rice) to be made up of the heavy coconut 'cream' that rises to the top. This is blended with some coconut milk to yield a thicker sauce.

Lightly toasted sesame seeds are a nice garnish on top.

I'm dying for some mangoes and sticky rice right now... :smile:

Great.. I have to take a look at this.. Thank you.. Do you think you could roll the mango and sticky rice into an inside outside roll and coat the outside in pistachio or some other nut.. Or maybe the toasted sesame seed ludja suggested?Maybe use Vietnamese Spring soft roll paper..

Edited by Daniel (log)