• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Joong/Jongzi-Sticky Rice/Bamboo Leaves

hzrt8w

I was given 2 doz. salted egg yolks, and I am the only one who likes joong with the yolks. By mid next week, I will have pieces of pork butt sitting in salt and the bamboo leaves soaking, ready to be boiled in vinegar.. Other ingredients will be dried shrimp meat, lap cheung, dong goo, onion, and chestnuts. No mung beans or yellow beans for me!

I wrap them in the pillow shape but differently from yours Prawn. My Mom made the "twisted" ones. I can, once in a while, by accident. :laugh:

I see you like chili sauce with your joong, Prawn...Me too!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 11 months later...

Kids and families were home this weekend, and they reminded me that Fifth day of the Fith month is June 12: dragon boats and joong season! AND, they brought home packages of bamboo leaves...How clever!

So, this morning, I was up at 6 am, got all the ingredients ready: lap cheong, salted pork, salted duck egg yolks, peanuts, dong goo, Spanish onion, glutinous rice, jasmine rice, seasonings, and leaves (soaked and washed leaves 2 nights ago).

Reminded my daughter how to wrap the joong as she had made them a few years back with my Mom. Taught my 8 months-pregnant daughter-in-law how to make them ( I took my Mom's role:-), and left them to it while I made another of their requests: steamed Chinese sponge cake.

They ended up with 84 packets of joongzi. I am boiling the last 2 doz now. Each family left with 18 packets plus cake.

3JenAndChina0150.jpg

5JoongziShape0143.jpg

4Joongzi0153.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com