• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hollywood

NickV

I just recently moved to downtown Hollywood and I'm trying to get situated as far as eating and shopping for food is concerned. The publix on young circle was a bit of a let down, so I'd like to find a few alternatives. If anyone can suggest places for meat, produce (farmers market or other open-air fruit/veg shopping anywhere?) and fresh seafood in the area, that would be great. Walkable is ideal, but even if I have to drive, it's no big deal.

As for restaurants, in the few days I've been here, I've had good luck with Exotic Bites, Mauro's and Goyo El Poyo. The latter had a great roast chicken. I'm eating out on a budget for the moment, so if anyone can suggest other relatively inexpensive places in the downtown Hollywood area (is that silly?) I'd appreciate it. Any good places for a con leche/medianoche?

Also, I think I saw an Italian bakery on Hollywood Blvd. Any reports on that?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get around more. I look forward to posting reccomendations and not just questions soon.

If you don't find any great grocery stores nearer you, the Whole Foods in Aventura is great. It's around 205th St. It shouldn't be more than 15 or 20 minutes away for you. They really have great meat and cheese selections.

"God give us good taste, why bother?" Captain Jim's Sushi Chef

I just recently moved to downtown Hollywood and I'm trying to get situated as far as eating and shopping for food is concerned. The publix on young circle was a bit of a let down, so I'd like to find a few alternatives. If anyone can suggest places for meat, produce (farmers market or other open-air fruit/veg shopping anywhere?) and fresh seafood in the area, that would be great. Walkable is ideal, but even if I have to drive, it's no big deal.

Regarding meat, I strongly recommend you go west to "Gino's, the King of Meats" Italian market on Johnson, west of 95. I've been told Gino's has a deal in which you get two of various types of meats. It may be a great economical way to stock up you r meat needs for a while.

Across the street is Mimi's Ravioli, which makes fresh pasta, bread & bakery items and other great italian wares.

I've been to Doris' Italian market. This store is rather small compared to the other store I've been to. Still had some nice hard to find things, even though some items have limited selection. I know there is another Doris' waaay further west on Pines Blvd. There may be no need to go that far since you have three italian markets in Hollywood.

Call Gino's and Doris' to confirm what they have for seafood. I recall both of them having fresh seafood, just like Laurenzo's down in North Miami Beach.

Regarding produce, I just heard about this place in Hallandale called Big Irv's Farmer's market, located on Federal Hwy. The review was from a trusted friend that liked the quality of produce and what he felt were good prices.

There is supposed to be a Hollywood sanctioned Organic Green Market (Josh's Organic Garden) every Sunday on Harrison Street and the Hollywood Broadwalk. I haven't been but am curious to hear a review. Sundays from 9 am to 5:30 PM. Do call (954) 456-3276 to see if what their summer schedule will be like.

Best of luck in your search. Wish I could recommend a Cuban place. I know of a few good Colombian places. Do let me know if that grabs your interest.

Its been a looooong time since I've been down there, but I know Penn Dutch is still open on NW 28 Terr. They have really good meats in larger quantities (meant for family shopping for a larger family, not wholesale size like Costco) and they used to have a really good deli, too. Just for reference, NW 28 Terrace is just west of I-95. Enjoy! :cool:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

El Rinconcito Colombiano.

I have only had the takeout from the bakery section in the back, but its soo good. The restaurant is located a block east of "Gino's" and "Mimi's Ravioli" on Johnson Street by 57 Ave , west of I-95. The place is always full with locals, which is a great sign.

My Colombian cousins know of another Colombian place on Hallandale Beach Blvd. I will inquire about the name and report back.

Check out Try my Thai

Try My Thai

2003 Harrison St., Hollywood, 954/926-5585

I have been going for years. They recently moved up the block closer to the circle.

Also Mama Mia's on the circle is always good. Great garlic rolls!

-Scott

Oh, and I went to Gino's and got some great sweet sausage for a pasta sauce tonight. I'll definitely be going back to that place. I tried to hit the Colombian place on the way back but they were parked two cars deep out front and I didn't see anywhere else to pull in. I guess I'll have to make it there another time when it isn't lunch hour.

• 1 month later...

Gino's has some good stuff but I suggest you give the sausage at Doris a try. The one with cheese & parsley is particularly good. And right across from Gino's is Mimi's Ravioli, another Italian market with lots of fresh pasta and other good stuff. And right down the street is Que perros, a unique Colombian hot dog shop.

Oh, and I went to Gino's and got some great sweet sausage for a pasta sauce tonight. I'll definitely be going back to that place. I tried to hit the Colombian place on the way back but they were parked two cars deep out front and I didn't see anywhere else to pull in. I guess I'll have to make it there another time when it isn't lunch hour.

South Florida