• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stabilizing agents in frozen drink syrups

Sethro

I know commercially produced frozen drink syrups utilize thickening and stabilizing agents, but I think they are probably pre-processed in a way that wouldn't be aplicable for a restaurant or bar.

Has anyone played around with this? Will a little dry milk and guar gum keep a frozen drink from "breaking"?

Any input greatly appreciated.

It depends what you are trying to stabilize. If it's oil and water (cream based drinks like a Pina Colada) then lecithin will help.

"Lecithin is a phospholipid, a class of compounds that make up cell membranes throughout the body. It is produced in the liver if the diet contains enough of the raw ingredients. Lecithin is the emulsifier in egg yolks that allows the oil and water to mix to make mayonnaise." Courtesy of Science Toys.

If it's just water based drink like a frozen margarita, then there's not much that's going to help without changing the texture of the drink.

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps

Actually using lecithin isn't a bad idea, although its not what I had in mind.

I actually wanted to change the texture of the drinks. The packaged syrups for the machine produce a much smoother, fluffier product than a traditional syrups.

Actually using lecithin isn't a bad idea, although its not what I had in mind.

I actually wanted to change the texture of the drinks. The packaged syrups for the machine produce a much smoother, fluffier product than a traditional syrups.

Adding an egg white when making a sorbet definately makes it smoother and fluffier. I'm not sure if frozen drinks mixed in a home blender would get mixed enough that you could tell the difference, but it's worth a try.