• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rec near Columbia University Med Center?

Lori in PA

Dh, dd, and I have an appt. there Monday. I'd appreciate some ideas for a good lunch and/or dinner. Meals with plenty of protein are better than high carb content -- not because of Atkins-like desires, but because of health needs. Oh, and we've only been to that part of the city once, so complete address and approx. distance from the hospital complex would be helpful. We'll be walking wherever we go. Thank you.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

It has been twenty years since I spent any amount of time there, so I can't recomend any specific places, but I would like for Dominican or Cuban-Chinese places with emphasis on the3 Cuban parts of the menu. If you should get a little more time, 59th St/Columbus Circle & the Time Warner Center is only three stops on the A train.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If you are going to the 168st location Coogan's is right around the corner, it is serviceable irish pub food. click

Coogan's is on Broadway, right around the corner from the Hospital.

For what might be the best roasted chicken in NYC go uptown just a few blocks to 175th and B'way to Malecon Restaurant. With rice, red beans and tostones its awesome. click

Malecon is also on Broadway and 175th, if you don't feel like walking the 7 blocks, cabs are all over the place and would take you for 5 bucks.

mike

Edited by NYC Mike (log)

-Mike & Andrea

Thanks, Mike!  You gave me just the sort of careful direction I need.  What are tostones?

Fried green platains, better than your average french fry!! If you do go to Malecon try an order of tostones and one of maduros (the sweet plantains)

mike

-Mike & Andrea

[...]For what might be the best roasted chicken in NYC go uptown just a few blocks to 175th and B'way to Malecon Restaurant.  With rice, red beans and tostones its awesome.  click

Malecon is also on Broadway and 175th, if you don't feel like walking the 7 blocks, cabs are all over the place and would take you for 5 bucks.

mike

I definitely second the recommendation of El Malecon. But $5 for 7 blocks? Aren't there lots of livery cabs around there that wouldn't overcharge like that?

Michael aka "Pan"

[...]For what might be the best roasted chicken in NYC go uptown just a few blocks to 175th and B'way to Malecon Restaurant.  With rice, red beans and tostones its awesome.  click

mike

I definitely second the recommendation of El Malecon. But $5 for 7 blocks? Aren't there lots of livery cabs around there that wouldn't overcharge like that?

Unfortunatly $5 is the new "minimum" for most of the liverys.

-Mike & Andrea

Well, we ate at El Malecon and all three of us enjoyed it very much. We ordered the whole chicken with red beans and rice and extra sides of tostones and the sweet plantains and shared it family style. It was perfect in every way for our needs -- fun, welcoming atmosphere; good protein; a new cuisine for us (but familiar ingredients, which is good when one is tired and a little pre-occupied with health issues and doesn't want to have to think too much about what one is eating); a friendly and nearly understandable waitress; and the cheapest meal (divided three ways) we've had in NYC. (Don't worry -- we tipped as though we'd ordered three meals.)

Once again, I really appreciate the help from egulleteers. As we were eating, The Husband commented about how good it was and mused that we'd probably never have picked this place if we were just walking down the street looking for a restaurant on our own. He's right -- time and again the folks on here have saved us money, frustration with bad food, and given us good memories. Thank you!

Edited by Lori in PA (log)

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

• 1 year later...

Any other recommendations in this area? There are plenty of delis that catter to the students and staff, but not much else, as far as I have seen...

Thanks

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

At Bway and 103rd there is a "Yakitori Sun-chan" - I've never been there but at least it is authentic and you can probably eat well there as long as you stick to robatayaki and yakitori and don't go off and order sushi - should be somewhere between the places a Village Yokocho and a Totto -

Oh - well I love the Malecon. Is Washington Heights considered close enough? If so, Hispaniola is the best restaurant in the hood and I believe fits docs original request "I would like for Dominican or Cuban-Chinese places with emphasis on the3 Cuban parts of the menu"

I've only ever gotten delivery from them, but Plum Pomidor (168th and Broadway) is not half bad.  They do a damn good burger and some pretty decent pastas.

There's a relatively new Indian food take-out place on the same block as Plum Pomidor that is surprisingly good.

On the east side of Bway at about 171 is a place called something like AquaMere (not the right name but close - on the northeast corner). They have an early bird dinner special for $10/person with a glass of wine. Good food.

Coogans I found to be overly expensive pub food. The clientele and staff speak more English than is the norm for the Heights.

Malecon is the other good place in the hood. Some nice places on 181st west of Broadway, but they're too far from the hospital.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.