• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tokyo's "ethnic" restaurants

torakris

I don't really care for the term ethnic but unfortunately it is the word they use here to describe restaurants from the area of Southeast Asia (and sometimes other areas as well).

Two days ago after a trip to the US Embassy we stopped in Tinun for lunch, the restaurant describes itself as Thai yatai ryouri. Lunch was packed and we had to wait in line for a bit but it was definitely worth it, lunch sets ranged from about 800 to 1000yen and we fed the 5 of us for 2900.

The Tameike Sanno branch is just about a 3 minute walk from the Embassy so if you ever find yourself in the area..... :biggrin:

Any other favorite "ethnic" restaurants in the Tokyo area?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

For Indonesian, I actually quite like Jembatan Merah near Akasaka-mitsuke station. I've been eating there for lunch regularly since we moved to Tokyo. Googling for map and directions indicates there are a few branches -- I've only eaten in the Akasaka:

http://www.bento.com/seasrest.html#indonesian

On a related note, a few days ago, my wife and I were walking home from Nikotamagawa when we both looked up and said "whatever someone around here is cooking sure reminds me of ubud". Sure enough, across the street was a tiny little restaurant with all sorts of indonesian food on the menu. Unfortunately, they only appear to open in the evening so we're going to schedule a return visit on another night.

I don't know if this counts as ethnic -- multi-ethnic more likely -- but far and away the best local Hawaiian food in Tokyo is Ogo's, also located in Akasaka. After Ryoji (the owner) opened his place, my lunch visits to other restaurants in Akasaka dropped off massively -- to hard to walk by his daily menu. Here is a review and directions:

http://games.greggman.com/restaurants/ja/2...g=japanese%7C?q

I just moved to Tokyo from Chicago and am living Akasaka. I really miss middle eastern food. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should go for good hummus and babaganouj? Any good mexican food?

Nothing beats the food here, but sometimes I crave things from home and the great thing about Tokyo is that you can find just about anything here!

Thanks,

M

The only place I know of in Akasaka that offers hummous and the like is "Pita the Great" across the street from the Fuji-Xerox building...about a block and a half toward Akasaka as you walk from the US Embassy.

Everything is home made and they offer a wide variety of veggie pita sandwiches in addition to the standard falafel and hummous variety.

Be warned, service is very, very slow and proudly so...a sign on the wall even boasts they are a "slow fast food restaurant". If you are going there for lunch, it is well worth calling in your order (English or Japanese is fine). It generally will be almost ready by the time you arrive.

I just moved to Tokyo from Chicago and am living Akasaka.  I really miss middle eastern food.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should go for good hummus and babaganouj? Any good mexican food?

Nothing beats the food here, but sometimes I crave things from home and the great thing about Tokyo is that you can find just about anything here!

Thanks,

M

There is an Israeli restaurant somewhere in Tokyo that was recently reviewed in the Daily Yomiuri ("recently" is relative--is was probably sometime in the last month). It received a very good review. I clipped it out, but will have to search for it, and I will post the information once I have found it.

Turkish restaurants really has me craving craving the like.

I just wish I lived anywhere near any of them...

But one thing Yokohama has going for it that Tokyo doesn't is good Greek restaurants. I had a great meal last month at Sparta (045-253-1645), about 5 minutes from Kannai station. Nothing like it in Tokyo.

But one thing Yokohama has going for it that Tokyo doesn't is good Greek restaurants. I had a great meal last month at Sparta (045-253-1645), about 5 minutes from Kannai station. Nothing like it in Tokyo.

This is great to know! I have known about Sparta but had heard almost nothing about it. I need to make a trip to the Yokohama immigration offices in September and they are just a short walk form Kannai station. I now know where I can have lunch. :biggrin:

This is great to know! I have known about Sparta but had heard almost nothing about it. I need to make a trip to the Yokohama immigration offices in September and they are just a short walk form Kannai station. I now know where I can have lunch. :biggrin:

Unfortunately they don't do lunch..... :angry:

Sparta homepage