• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stumbling Goat Bistro

:wink: We have a list of Restaurant Suggestions on our fridge. It's for the many times when we want to go out, but can't think of anywhere to go (we eat out too much!) Anyway, I read it to hubby last night, and right after "Saltoro" came "Stumbling Goat Bistro." Hubby excitedly stated that we should go, as we hadn't been for a few months.

Why oh why don't we eat there more often? It's excellent every time. I get worried when I first get sight of their very limited menu that I won't find something that I want, but it's never the case.

Last night we shared their special appetizer of Roasted Porcinis with Arugula, Pancetta and Saveur du Maquis (sheeps milk cheese from Corsica). The porcinis were perfectly cooked, the pancetta was crispy, and when arranged on the fork with the creamy cheese and a bite of spicy arugula, it was heavenly! We ALWAYS share the Beet Salad, and were happy to make the change this time.

Hubby had the Grilled Kurobuta Pork Loin with Swiss Chard, Fregula Sarda and Spring Onions. The pork was moist and flavorful, and sitting atop the fregula sarda, which absorbed the jus. So wonderful!

I have to admit that I broke down and ordered the Roasted Chicken with Natural Jus and Whole Roasted Garlic - again. I always think I'll be more adventurous and try something new, and besides, I make a killer roast chicken myself and it's so easy to make at home.....but then a couple of ordered plates go past me and I break down and order it. It never disappoints. The chicken is moist and the skin is crispy, and their mashed potatoes are always better than mine, especially when you squeeze the little cloves of roasted garlic onto them.

Hubby had a couple glasses of Pinot Noir and I had a Spanish Rose.

We're extremely lucky here in the Seattle area to have numerous really good restaurants, but Stumbling Goat Bistro is a good choice for when you want seasonal, well-prepared food in a neighborhood setting. Click for webpage :cool:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

• 3 months later...

I went there the other night and had a summer risotto with squash and oregano, garnished with a squash blossom stuffed with ricotta. I cleaned my plate, but what was most impressive were a couple things: the oregano was just the right amount ... many chefs can get overly zealous when using fresh herbs, and even my last bite of risotto (which was about 20 minutes or so after the first) was very warm, even though the risotto was served on a very wide plate (which tends to cool very fast). I was very impressed.

Line Cook and Food Geek, Seattle, WA

• 4 months later...

ok, weird!! we just went here with mr and mrs. Ledlund and we all thought 1) it was very overpriced 2) the food was mediocre at best 3) the service was not good 4) the supposed 1/2 price tues wine night excluded 1/2 the menu!!

we wont be going back- Way too many other good restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a shame you had such a negative experience! It's always so weird to hear bad things about a place where I've had such good experiences, but it happens. We had another very nice time there the other night. I love their cheese plate.

• 4 weeks later...

We finally got around to checking out Stumblong Goat on Friday night. We'll definitely be going back.

We ended up waiting a while for our order, since our server had misplaced our ticket. However, in the meantime they brought us some wine and a cheese platter with three really excellent selections (one soft goat's cheese, one aged cheddar, and one gorgonzola -- but since we didn't order them ourselves, I'm not sure which farms they came from), on the house. They were very gracious and it's a cozy place to hang out, so we didn't mind.

After the cheese, we had the special salad of the day, which featured miner's lettuce, roasted cauliflower, and a really nice smoked cheese. For our main courses, my husband had a halibut special and I had the braised rabbit. Everything was very good.

It was a long, leisurely meal, very nice for a Friday night hanging around the neighborhood. Great place to have nearby.

I'm not at all surprised to see such a wide variance in quality of experience at Stumbling Goat. My fiance and I, when we started dating, went there quite a bit and loved it. All of a sudden, though, the food slid some and seemed both mediocre and like they were pushing the concepts a bit much. They closed on us more than once (meaning they sat us and then told us they couldn't feed us) and their hours seem erratic to say the least. At least the wine list has been pretty good.

It's a bummer. I really want to like the place again. That neighborhood needs a restaurant like that.

jrt, did that stuff happen recently (that is terrible you were seated then not allowed to order!)? I've only been going for 6 months or so.

Yes, sadly. All of our unfortunate incidents there since December.

Edited to add: not only were we once seated and then told the kitchen was closed, but we once actually placed an order and had drinks in front of us when the server came back to tell us the kitchen was done for the night. I've never had that happen anywhere else, ever.

Edited by jrt (log)

jrt, did that stuff happen recently (that is terrible you were seated then not allowed to order!)? I've only been going for 6 months or so.

Yes, sadly. All of our unfortunate incidents there since December.

Edited to add: not only were we once seated and then told the kitchen was closed, but we once actually placed an order and had drinks in front of us when the server came back to tell us the kitchen was done for the night. I've never had that happen anywhere else, ever.

Wow, that's really terrible! I've never had that happen anywhere either! Do you know if Erin (owner/hostess) was there during those times? I can't imagine her letting that happen! :shock:

Edited by GourmetLight$ (log)

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

• 7 months later...

I've had such good experiences here (always on Fri or Sat) but last Sunday it seemed just like LMF's experience from earlier this year. Food and service were just okay, and entrees seemed overpriced for what they were. And, there were a bunch of hyper little kids--kids that couldn't stay in their chairs, kids that were loud, and one squawker who let out a piercing shriek every 90 seconds for two hours. If that had been my first time there, I likely wouldn't bother going back.

• 3 weeks later...

We returned to Stumbling Goat, at the recommendation of acquaintances who are regulars, for the first time in several years. We thought the food was quite good, the service was certainly adequate, and the wine list is extensive. I agree that the entrees are pricey.

At least they now have real wine glasses!