• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate cake

glennbech

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pacificnw...0506/taste.html

Another question; If a recipe calls for 1 cup of vegetable oil, can I substitute that with 1 cup of melted butter?

I looked at this recipe. It looks good, but the 1 1/2 cups of oil seems like way too much to me. I wondered if it should have been 1/2 cup of oil. I doubt that mixing that much oil with eggs and sugar would ever end up with something "light and fluffy". I intend to try it in the next few days with 1/2 cup oil.

Edited by shaloop (log)

Mission accomplished -) Little "Maia" (Friend's 3 months year old) Was baptised today. And I provided the chocolate cake for the party.

First of all I'd like to thank All of you for helping me out. I had never baked a chocolate cake before I started (Hardly any cake), and certainly didn't know what a "Genoise" one was .-)

I know a few of you have put down some real time answering my questions. I'd just like to make sure you all know how much I apericiate it .-)

The thing I ended up making was ;

Genoise Chocolate cake

(http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateGenoise.html)

Almond flavored syrup for moisture

Almond extract, 100g sugar/100g water, boiled and cooled. . Applied to the sponge cake on each layer

SweetSide's White Chocolate Espresso Filling

(http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1628.html)

Substituting the instant coffee with real Espresso, and throwing some crushed almonds into the mix.

Chiantiglace's Mirror Chocolate Glaze

(http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=73257&st=0&p=999482entry999482)

Decoration/Presentation

- White-heart cherry. In season in Norway now, and look so good. They have a very Shiny apearance. Something that went really well with the glaze. These berries also have a very deep red colour that looked good on the chocolate.

- Lichi. I split them in two to showcase the black seed in the centre, that is also very dark and shiny. I also just love theese....

- I saw something real cool on a TV program last week, where the host put chocolate on a balloon, put it in the fridge and popped the ballon later to create a chocolate hemisphere. After some trial and error, I made it .-) The chocolate had a tendency to "Stick" to the balloon after I deflated it. I wanted to create a "bowl" where I could put some fruit, on top of the cake. I think It went real well, except that the weather was real hot and it ALMOST melted in the car on the way to the party.

Always Some room for improvement ;

- Presentaion.. The bottom part of my cake looks like a mess .-)

- The pictures doesn't show this, but the glaze developed some pores.

- A bit on the "heavy side" with espresso, almonds, white chocolate, dark chocolate and glaze .-) Maybe use something fresh and fruity instead of espresso/almond ??

- Workflow! You have no Idea what my kitchen looked like after this!! I also had to get up early todat to finish the cake, as Sweetside's White chocolate filling have to chill before whisking it. Bad planning.

But, all in all I was very pleased with the result. So where my friends, I guess this is the most important thing .-) It was also great fun to post my progress here, and I got real hight feedback and Ideas from a lot of people!

Here are some images of my cake.

Here is a link to the imageGullet public album

4x4.jpg

Edited by glennbech (log)

Oh My Goodness, that is beautiful.

Check out the cherry in the handmade chocolate cup. Where's the I just fainted smilie face?!

Wow your first chocolate cake--better than amazing. And to think just a few short days ago you were scraping it off the floor and etc. :raz: etc.

Gee-ez you did good.

No, no, no, for degree of difficulty on your first choc cake you get a perfect TEN.

Bravo! Quite and undertaking for your first cake. Most people would start with plain chocolate and a butter/powdered sugar icing....

Thank you. I'll give you partial credit :-) Thanks for all the advice on glazing and the filling recipe :-)

Bello!!! Bravo I agree , first public cake its a success!!

I admire your perseverance on all the process on making something you didnt have any experience with ,Grande!

For the chocolates bowl made with ballons , check the demo here on the forum , made by Mette on making containers out of chocolates , it is very very interesting with beautifull pics.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=73008

Bravo bravo Glenn :biggrin:

Vanessa