• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bringing your dog to dinner in Florida

CNN story

Gov. Jeb Bush on Friday signed the so-called "doggie dining" bill, which allows local governments to let restaurants permit dogs to eat with their owners outside.

Florida health regulations previously prevented all dogs except service animals from joining patrons al fresco, although several restaurants ignored the rules until local regulators started cracking down last year.

Do you get annoyed when people bring their pet to dinner? If so, is it something that bothers you in principle, or only if the dog is barking?

Me - I'm okay with it. Hell, our dogs were fine when we took them out. I only wish the same could be said for those who bring babies and children to restaurants.

discussion, circa 2001, on smoking and dogs in restaurants :wink:

I love dogs, but I still wonder about those "doggie accidents" .... :huh:

and I need them for "emotional support"! NYTimes article May 2006

recently a number of New York restaurateurs have noticed a surge in the number of diners seeking to bring dogs inside for emotional support, where previously restaurants had accommodated only dogs for the blind. The increasing appearance of pets whose owners say they are needed for emotional support in restaurants — as well as on airplanes, in offices and even in health spas —

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Cases involving dogs being brought into questionably appropriate public places by owners who claim to need for "emotional support" should be referred to the ASPCA/ :angry:

SB (Alternately, I'd let the dog in but leave the owner outside) :biggrin:

How French. I certainly hope that my favorite restaurants in Sarasota decide against allowing the practice.

A well-trained dog, however, is preferable to a badly-trained child.

edited to remove offensive OT bits

Edited by scottie (log)

i feel sorry for the toy dogs that are this much needed "emotional support." when carrying a little toy dog in you lv tote gets old, what are these people going to do????

maybe paris hilton will take them all in, as she's probably considered the source of this latest trend.

Edited by carpetbagger, esq. (log)

I find even badly trained dogs and children preferable to obnoxious, opinionated, and churlish (often inebriated) adults.

SB (plus, neither children nor dogs smoke; another "problem" solved!) :raz:

Edited by srhcb (log)

I'm comfortable with both smokers and doggies in restaurants in Paris, so it would follow that I could deal with either here. :wink:

But, as with the obnoxious children in restaurants issue, it depends on who brings 'em. A quiet pekingese sitting on the lap of a lady of a certain age, no problem. An ill-behaved big dog running rampant through that same restaurant? Problem.

PS: Just remembered that people bring their dogs to pubs in England, but I've never seen a badly behaved one.

As long as they just sit quiety in the diner's lap, I really don't see the problem. They never bothered me in Paris.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

This is news? I see people with their dogs seated at restaurant sidewalk tables all the time in Atlanta.

On my first return visit after graduating from my boarding school in the small village of Faistenau bei Salzburg, Austria back in the 80s, I immediatey went to my favorite restaurant. I noticed an elderly couple at the next table with a very well behaved dog sitting quietly at their feet while everyone around them ate. This was INSIDE. I envied them because I would love to bring my dog out with me. The dog had impeccable manners. It reminded me how civilized the old world countries can be.

Then I returned to the US from my vacation and sat in a restaurant where the booth next to me had a screaming kid who needed to blow his nose and wash his hands, gleefully throwing things and reaching over the seat and trying to touch my guest.

There's an old saying that should really be taken to heart...

"Always assume no one likes either your children or your pets."

Words to live by, but if given the choice, I'll take the dogs, thank you very much.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

I have a feeling that restaurants that allow dogs will have no problem asking owners of badly behaved dogs to leave, whereas with children it seems as though restuarants are afraid of parents of badly behaved children. I would, however, prefer that the dogs not have a chair at the table and plate full of people food.

Also, it might be nice to seat all the dog owners in one section of the outdoor tables so that people who don't want to dine with dogs -- even well behaved ones -- don't have to sit next to them. I often hoped for "children" and "no children" sections in restaurants, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen. :smile:

Edited by TPO (log)

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

I think in some cases, it would bother me on principle (like it would bug me beyond expression to walk into some restaurants and just see a stroller). There are places where babies, kids and dogs just don't belong.

When I was in Aspen, though, on a beautiful day, I loved walking down the street and getting to see all the dogs sitting at their owners' feet, at outside restaurants. Everyone was playing nice. These were all big dogs, too, not a toy in the bunch (thank God for that!).

TPO, I agree with you on the "children/no children" section, and would be with ya on the "dog/no dog" section. And thank you for the best laugh of the morning so far:

I would, however, prefer that the dogs not have a chair at the table and plate full of people food.
:laugh: You kill me!
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

shrug.

If it's a clean, quite animal, who cares? I never understood the health issue, I have a german shepherd who doesn't "shed" as much as I do when I comb my hair. Not that I'm losing my hair, I just have a lot of it.

---------------------------------------

As long as it's outdoor seating and the pet owners clean up after their critters, I don't see what the problem is.

Indoors, I would have a problem, mostly because I usually dine with severely dog dander allergic people who would rather not have hives because someone wanted to have dinner with Fido.

Cheryl

I believe it was in Jacques Pepin's book, "The Apprentice", that I read that years ago many fine French restaurants would have the commi's cook only for the guests' dogs.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

The last thing I want to have happen while dining is to catch a whaft of dog from the table beside me. :angry: Many dogs smell and they shouldn't be allowed in restaurants. Plus, the dog hair that will be in the air, and the dog fights that could occur. Oh, and what about my friend who has a Great Dane. Can she come? Or how about my other buddy who has 3 dogs, can they all come when he goes for dinner? Did I mention one of them has fleas? This is crazy. :blink: If restauranteurs want to allow dogs on the terrasse, then so be it, but not inside.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse