• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miracle Whip: The Topic

divalasvegas

Thanks for all of the lively discussion folks. I'm off to try my hand making the homemade MW using the recipe link provided by Kerry Beal. Back in a few........

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

My brother, unfortunately, married into a mayo family. For awhile, my SIL refused to let MW into their house. She now allows a small jar of MW in the fridge to placate my brother. :hmmm:

You know, that's the thing I don't get -- the condescension factor.

So some people like one thing, and others another. What is it about that that causes this haughty superiority among the 'mayo only' crowd.

Oh, my SIL can have her condiment territory war. The ironic thing is almost every holiday/family gathering is held at my mom's house where MW reigns supreme. :laugh: At those events, my brother, who is obviously (Miracle) Whipped :raz: , will bring over a small jar of mayo for my SIL.

I grew up with Miracle Whip in the house.  When Mom did the food shopping, that's what she bought.  (She was born in Omaha and raised in northeast Kansas, in a small town called Horton, about 30 mi NW of Kansas City and 30 mi NE of Topeka.)

Maybe it's a Kansas thing. My mom was born and raised in Ellsworth, Kansas, and grew up using MW.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Which is better as an emergency personal lubricant: Mayo or Miracle Whip? Discuss.

Jaymes: Ditto the egg-recipe seekers. They ask, you tell 'em, and they think you're trying to pull a fast one. (I always get a grin out of people who swear they can tell the difference between Duke's and Hellman's ... when the difference is between Hellman's and MW.)

Sorry, but I can tell the difference between Duke's and Hellman's; I think Duke's tastes like MW!

I grew up on Long Island and in northern NJ; Hellman's all the way. My grandfather loved his home-grown tomatoes with sugar and Hellman's. Me, too! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I came to MN via Thailand (where there was no MW), but that time was punctuated by summers on a Nebraska farm. I don't ever recall seeing mayo in anyone's fridge. Ditto in Southern MN kitchens. Great Aunt Laura swore by Spin Blend, and I must say that it was on sale last time we went to the cabin and we made the most awesome potato salad and deviled eggs. Could have been other components, but I did buy Spin Blend again (should I hang head in shame for betraying MW?)

I have both in my fridge, and they both have specific uses.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Which is better as an emergency personal lubricant: Mayo or Miracle Whip? Discuss.

Depends on whether the emergency was oral or not (seeing as how many people here like the taste of MW).

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well, I'm back and will be busily detailing my adventures in homemade MW-land to be posted shortly.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Proud devotee of the tangy, miraculous spread myself. Mayo's good too, but I prefer mw.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Here are the results of my MW experiment:

1) First of all, whisking SUCKS! A good immersion blender will be in my future.

2) I have to agree with the person in the attached link who said that the results were oily and bland.

Homemade MW Recipe

3) To be fair, I have to say where I made substitutions/changes:

- I didn't have any canola oil so I had to use vegetable oil

- Ditto on both the dry mustard and garlic powder--used garlic salt/prepared mustard. Both of these ingredients were in very small amounts in the recipe, so I don't think that made a major difference

- As for vinegar, I had everything BUT white vinegar, so I used apple cider

- Lastly, after wisking my arm off and tasting as I went along I decided not put in the entire cup of oil. As I already said it was oily enough to my taste.

4) After I used the amounts called for except for using only 3/4 cup of the oil, it almost had the flavor elements of MW but flat. In reading the recipe before attempting this, it seemed like way too much oil and too little flavor so I added a bit more vinegar, sugar, mustard, garlic salt, salt, paprika, and even dash of cayenne.

It's in the fridge now. I might give it a whirl in my mini food processor later. At least the ingredients were cheap. :wink:

Comments?

I'd like you MW lovers to come out of the shadows and take a public stand for this miraculous condiment.  Come on, be brave even though Busboy has promised that he is compiling a list of people who admit to using this product for future blackmail purposes.  Please don't leave me hangin'.  I want all two or three of you out there to step out and give the great MW its props.
Oh yeah, baby.

I am an indiscriminate MW whore, slathering it on turkey, chicken, roast beef (mixed w/a little horseradish), and burgers. I lavish it in tuna with a generous amount of red onion. It absolutely kicks ass in deviled eggs, along with (the horror) yellow mustard. I cannot envision American-style potato salad without that tangy zip.

We never had anything else while I was growing up. My dad's family is from Oklahoma, and apparently "salad dressing" was always the choice.

Edit to say I have tried making my own and the results always sucked in a big way.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Miracle Whip plays an integral part in my favorite Chem Lab treat.

White, spongy, cheap bread (the kind you roll "bread balls" from), a couple slices of Kraft wrapped-for-your-protection "swiss cheese" and gobs of Miracle Whip. Washed down with a blue Nehi and I'm sure to get a A on my periodic table of elements test. :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Wow. I personally have hated MW everytime I have tasted it, because of the sweetness. But I seem to have missed the tanginess so many are loving.  I will re-taste. Perhaps I will be converted.

What she said.........altho I haven't tasted it for MANY years and cannot imagine BUYING a jar...........

SWEEEEEET...........ick.

BTW, geographically speaking, Pittsburgh, PA

(altho I DO remember some Islay's chipped ham, American cheese, MW and Wonder Bread sammiches from the summers--long and wonderous, on bicycles--- of my youth. yum. Very long ago and far away....wonder where I can get some chipped ham in Paso Robles? :rolleyes: )

Maybe that IS it, a whiff of our pasts..............

Condescension with mayo vs miracle whip is nothing like the condescension mrs. jsolomon gives with respect to Treet vs Spam.  Now, that's a funny turn of events.

Treet vs Spam? Okay, now that's hilarious. Which is supposed to be the "upscale one," and which the pate of the trailer parks?

But FTR, Treet is the impostor and Spam the genuine article.

I previously offered this up on several threads on a few boards, but had no takers.

I have a 30 oz can of USDA generic "Luncheon Meat". (Ingredients: pork, water, salt, sugar, pepper, sodium nitrite) Yes, that's fake SPAM! :shock:

It is "NOT TO BE SOLD OR EXCHANGED", but I think gifting would be okay? :huh: (That's how I got it.)

If anyone wants to give it a try, please let me know.

SB (No need to rush. It has no Expiration Date)

PS: Lest I be accused of stealing food from the needy, I'll explain that the item in question was found abandoned in a rental unit, possibly meant as recompense for three months back rent?

Grew up in New England with only mayonnaise. I tried Miracle Whip as an adult but don't like the sweet taste or the mouthfeel. (I've only tried it on sandwiches.)

Here are the ingredient lists for Miracle Whip and Hellman's/Best Foods Mayonnaise:

Miracle Whip

Ingredients:

Water,

Soybean Oil,

Vinegar,

High Fructose Corn Syrup,

Sugar,

Modified Food Starch,

Egg Yolks,

and Salt, Mustard Flour, Artifical Color, Potassium Sorbate as a preservative, Spice, Paprika, Natural Flavor, Dried Garlic.

click

Hellman’s (Best Foods) Mayonnaise

Ingredients:

Soybean oil,

Whole Eggs,

Vinegar,

Water,

Egg yolks,

and salt, sugar, lemon juice, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA (used to protect quality).

click

As usual, the ingredients are listed from highest to lowest percentage weight of the total. I highlighted the five most abundant ingredients in each product. Eggs are the second ingredient in the mayonnaise but the *seventh* ingredient in the MW.

From what I read online, Miracle Whip is named after the emulsifying machine used to make it. I guess since it has a much higher percentage of water and a lower percentage of eggs and oil a more powerful emulsifying device was needed. The article implied that it was developed during the Depression because it was much cheaper to produce--less eggs and oil than mayonnaise. This fact, of course, also makes it less caloric even though it has high fructose corn syrup and more sugar than Hellman's mayonnaise.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

This fact, of course, also makes [Miracle Whip] less caloric...

Yes, that's why I sometimes choose it. For health reasons.

:cool:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Here are the ingredient lists for Miracle Whip and Hellman's/Best Foods Mayonnaise:

Miracle Whip

Ingredients:

Water,

Soybean Oil,

Vinegar,

High Fructose Corn Syrup,

Sugar,

Modified Food Starch,

Egg Yolks,

and Salt, Mustard Flour, Artifical Color, Potassium Sorbate as a preservative, Spice, Paprika, Natural Flavor, Dried Garlic.

click

From what I read online, Miracle Whip is named after the emulsifying machine used to make it.  I guess since it has a much higher percentage of water and a lower percentage of eggs a more powerful emulsifying device was needed.  The article implied that it was developed during the Depression because it was much cheaper to produce--less eggs and oil than mayonnaise.  This fact, of course, also makes it less caloric even though it has high fructose corn syrup and more sugar than Hellman's mayonnaise.

Wow ludja I really think you're on to something; there's just no way in Hell that my tired old arm and a whisk can duplicate THE MIRACLE WHIP! :laugh: *** still shaking head that such a thing really exists *** Also, even though I had also read the ingredients for the real deal I had completely overlooked that the product does contain a significant amount of water and that all the homemade versions contained none.

I have to say two things here: 1) my experiment has nothing to do with abandoning the original MW, just morbid curiousity and 2) I now have new found respect for water, preservatives, and modified food starch. :cool:

And, as hjshorter has asserted, this homemade stuff did indeed suck ass.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Half a ripe avacado, small spoonful of MW.  Childhood!

One of my favorite sandwiches is avocado, MW, and some sort of good, nutty, whole-grain bread. Plenty of S&P, too.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

So Miracle Whip is water, oil, sugar and cornstarch all whipped up, huh. I think I will stick with my Hellman's, thanks anyway.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Here are the results of my MW experiment:

1) First of all, whisking SUCKS!  A good immersion blender will be in my future.

2) I have to agree with the person in the attached link who said that the results were oily and bland.

Homemade MW Recipe

3) To be fair, I have to say where I made substitutions/changes:

- I didn't have any canola oil so I had to use vegetable oil

- Ditto on both the dry mustard and garlic powder--used garlic salt/prepared mustard.  Both of these ingredients were in very small amounts in the recipe, so I don't think that made a major difference

- As for vinegar, I had everything BUT white vinegar, so I used apple cider

- Lastly, after wisking my arm off and tasting as I went along I decided not put in the entire cup of oil.  As I already said it was oily enough to my taste.

4) After I used the amounts called for except for using only 3/4 cup of the oil, it almost had the flavor elements of MW but flat.  In reading the recipe before attempting this, it seemed like way too much oil and too little flavor so I added a bit more vinegar, sugar, mustard, garlic salt, salt, paprika, and even dash of cayenne.

It's in the fridge now.  I might give it a whirl in my mini food processor later.  At least the ingredients were cheap. :wink:

Comments?

The amount of oil called for in the recipe is way, way too much. (I too had no canola oil; instead, I used Enova, that soybean/canola oil blend based on incredible Japanese technology that keeps most of it from being stored in your body as fat.) Had I stopped adding oil at the point in the recipe where it says, "After going through about half the oil, your mayo should be very thick," it would have been the right consistency--about 1/2 cup of oil. For one cup, I guess two egg yolks are needed.

I don't know whether your use of garlic salt rather than garlic powder may have altered the flavor profile; did you then omit the salt called for in the recipe? I think that more vinegar, sugar and mustard might help; maybe more paprika, but not cayenne.

There is now a broken yellow liquid emulsion in my fridge. I put some of this stuff on the bread for my sandwich today. I'll let you all know how it tastes after lunch.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

So Miracle Whip is water, oil, sugar and cornstarch all whipped up,  huh.  I think I will stick with my Hellman's, thanks anyway.

Hey, what's wrong with "water, oil, sugar and cornstarch"? Damn fine ingredients if you ask me. And I'll bet you use them all the time! :raz:

So Miracle Whip is water, oil, sugar and cornstarch all whipped up,  huh.   I think I will stick with my Hellman's, thanks anyway.

Hey, what's wrong with "water, oil, sugar and cornstarch"? Damn fine ingredients if you ask me. And I'll bet you use them all the time! :raz:

I do use all those ingredients and sometimes all of them in the same dish but not as primary ingredients. Just remember the next time you pick up a jar of MW that your really buying whipped water. Do they use Evian to get that price per jar? lol

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

So Miracle Whip is water, oil, sugar and cornstarch all whipped up,  huh.   I think I will stick with my Hellman's, thanks anyway.
I do use all those ingredients and sometimes all of them in the same dish but not as primary ingredients.

Miracle Whip refers to itself as a 'salad dressing.' I'd offer a proposition that those same ingredients are listed as primary ingredients in a lot of salad dressings.

Hey joiei and Jaymes turns out that our two "peoples" are not so far apart after all. The ingredient list for Hellmanns:

Soybean oil, whole eggs, vinegar, water, egg yolks, salt, sugar, lemon juice, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA (used to protect quality).

Can't we at least strive to embrace each other in peace on the common grounds/ingredients of oil, water, and sugar? I mean, can't we just all get along? :smile:

Peace.

Hey joiei and Jaymes turns out that our two "peoples" are not so far apart after all.  The ingredient list for Hellmanns:

Soybean oil, whole eggs, vinegar, water, egg yolks, salt, sugar, lemon juice, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA (used to protect quality).

So the only difference is mustard powder and paprika--and I imagine more sugar than goes into regular mayo?

So much Sturm und Drang over so little!

Then again, given the industry in which I work, I shouldn't be surprised. There's an old saying that goes, "Academic politics are so vicious because the stakes are so low."

This may also come close to resembling those medieval theological arguments about how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3