• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miracle Whip: The Topic

divalasvegas

Uh-oh. This may be the confession that gets me thrown out of eGullet.

The person who introduced me to fresh steamed artichokes used Miracle Whip to dip the leaves and the heart in.

I still do. I've never tried anything else, and I like it.

I also ate some Green Bean Casserole last night.

There. I feel better. By the way, what is the proper penance for these sins?

(Be gentle with me, okay?)

Count me in - Miracle Whip on sandwiches of almost any sort, especially with tomatoes. But it's definately NOT a substitute for mayo in a lot of other things.

Sharon Regehr

Maple Hill Farms

Uh-oh.  This may be the confession that gets me thrown out of eGullet.

The person who introduced me to fresh steamed artichokes used Miracle Whip to dip the leaves and the heart in.

I still do.  I've never tried anything else, and I like it.

I also ate some Green Bean Casserole last night. 

There.  I feel better.  By the way, what is the proper penance for these sins?

(Be gentle with me, okay?)

Thank you for sharing jgm. Um I think we're still waiting on Busboy to develop the proper series of punishments for our collective crimes against food.

His silence so far is starting to make me a bit nervous. :unsure:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Never did get the point of being a MW hater. What on earth is THAT all about. It's just a condiment, silly.

In my house growing up with my father (who was raised in the kitchens of restaurants owned by his mother), we always had Miracle Whip, Hellman's/Best Foods mayo, and at least four or five versions of his homemade mayos.

We certainly were smart and wise enough to learn the lesson that some of these were better for some things. And others for others.

I'm with the folks that prefer MW in stuffed eggs, and egg sandwiches -- you know the kind where the egg is warm and the yellow runs out when you take a bite.

And BLT's. And Waldorf Salad. And tuna salad.

They're much, much better with the tang of Miracle Whip.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I like Miracle Whip! I bought regular mayonaise for a while, but it's just bland in comparison.

Anybody know how to make homemade mayonaise that tastes like MW?

I have tried many, many times - I make mayonnaise on a regular basis. The closest I ever got was when I added some of the "brine" from a jar of bread and butter pickles, carefully strained to remove all the seeds and bits.

I mixed 1/4 teaspoon of guar gum into 1/4 cup of the (sweet/sour) pickle juice and whisked it briskly until it had thickened, then slowly drizzle it into a cup of mayonnaise while whisking.

It was pretty close, so I added a smidge of Coleman's dry mustard and beat that in and it got a bit closer, but there was still something missing.

I have saved the liquid from a jar of Peppadews, which is sweet/sour like the B&B pickle juice but also has a bit more "tang" from the peppadews. I am going to try this in a batch of mayonnaise to see if it is a bit more like MW that any of my previous experiments.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I love Miracle Whip, and tuna salad or a leftover turkey sandwich on white with cranberry just isn't the same with mayo!

However, I have trouble buying it since I read the ingredients. Ignorance was bliss, I hate buying things made with ingredients I have trouble pronouncing. :sad:

Now, if I'm using mayo for a salad of some kind and want some zip, I add some lemon juice to the mix.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Since starting this thread I've been thinking about trying to make my own homemade version of MW. I found several recipes online and also took a look at Kraft's official ingredient list.

1) These two are essentially the same, with the only variation being amounts of ingredients used.

Recipe Goldmine MW

Has cornstarch, yields approx. 1 quart

Recipezaar MW

Another one that also has cornstarch, yields approx. 1 pint.

2) This variation contains no cornstarch (more of what I had in mind actually).

Recipegal MW

3) Kraft Foods ingredient list. Also includes starch, "spice," paprika, both corn syrup and sugar as well as ingredients the home cook won't be using such as preservatives, "natural" flavors, and even artificial color. I have absolutely no clue about how the artificial color factors in its making. I was thinking quite the opposite, that an ingredient would be used to keep the color whitish.

Kraft's Ingredient List

Can anyone enlighten me as to what role the cornstarch plays? Being a commercial product I'm guessing that it would have to do with the keeping mixture stable and emulsified to guarantee a long shelf life.

I'm thinking of whipping up a small batch along the lines of the above recipe that does not use cornstarch. I'll be starting off as if making a mayo and then add vinegar, sugar, etc. to see if I can duplicate the taste, probably tomorrow. Gotta finish up dinner for now. :smile:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Since starting this thread I've been thinking about trying to make my own homemade version of MW.  I found several recipes online and also took a look at Kraft's official ingredient list.

1) These two are essentially the same, with the only variation being amounts of ingredients used.

Recipe Goldmine MW

Has cornstarch, yields approx. 1 quart

Recipezaar MW

Another one that also has cornstarch, yields approx. 1 pint.

2) This variation contains no cornstarch (more of what I had in mind actually).

Recipegal MW

3) Kraft Foods ingredient list.  Also includes starch, "spice," paprika, both corn syrup and sugar as well as ingredients the home cook won't be using such as preservatives, "natural" flavors, and even artificial color.  I have absolutely no clue about how the artificial color factors in its making.  I was thinking quite the opposite, that an ingredient would be used to keep the color whitish.

Kraft's Ingredient List

Can anyone enlighten me as to what role the cornstarch plays?  Being a commercial product I'm guessing that it would have to do with the keeping mixture stable and emulsified to guarantee a long shelf life.

I'm thinking of whipping up a small batch along the lines of the above recipe that does not use cornstarch.  I'll be starting off as if making a mayo and then add vinegar, sugar, etc. to see if I can duplicate the taste, probably tomorrow.  Gotta finish up dinner for now. :smile:

A source I like a lot for cloned recipes is Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipes. Here is his recipe for miracle whip.

Yeah, I'd say the cornstarch thickens and helps with emulsification.

How long can homemade mayonaise be kept?

Others can chime in here but a week is what I've been able to keep it. I would guess that homemade MW might last a bit longer since it would have more acid (vinegar) but that's just a guess. I usually use a small batch of mayo--1/2 cup--more quickly than that anyway. I wouldn't advise trying to make huge batches of either homemade mayo or MW.

srhcb I was guessing paprika as well but why not cayenne pepper instead?

A source I like a lot for cloned recipes is Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipes.  Here is his recipe for miracle whip.

Thanks for the link Kerry. This looks really close to what I had in mind. However, I noticed in the comments that those who tried it were really split in their opinions. While a couple of them raved, one said that it was too oily and another thought it was too bland. I was wondering if anyone had any comments on attempting this in a mini food processor and has anyone had success with making a small batch of mayo by putting all of the ingredients in a food processor, including the oil without all of the slow drip, drip, drip to add the oil? I seem to recall seeing someone on tv doing this and it seemed to turn out fine.

A source I like a lot for cloned recipes is Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipes.  Here is his recipe for miracle whip.

Thanks for the link Kerry. This looks really close to what I had in mind. However, I noticed in the comments that those who tried it were really split in their opinions. While a couple of them raved, one said that it was too oily and another thought it was too bland. I was wondering if anyone had any comments on attempting this in a mini food processor and has anyone had success with making a small batch of mayo by putting all of the ingredients in a food processor, including the oil without all of the slow drip, drip, drip to add the oil? I seem to recall seeing someone on tv doing this and it seemed to turn out fine.

I use my Bamix for any mayo like stuff. Put the liquid on the bottom with the room temperature eggs, put oil on top. Start with the mixer at the bottom and work my way up through the oil until done. Do it right in the jar.

I tried several of the cornstarch recipes and didn't like the pasty mouth feel.

After discussing it with one of the people in my local health food store, actually in the restaurant in the store, who suggested I try guar gum, I found that it was much better. Also, it thickens without heating and doesn't "break".

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I use my Bamix for any mayo like stuff.  Put the liquid on the bottom with the room temperature eggs, put oil on top.  Start with the mixer at the bottom and work my way up through the oil until done.  Do it right in the jar.

Thanks again Kerry. When you say Bamix I assume that's the same as an immersion blender, right? Of course I have two blenders, a large food processor, and two mini food processors but no immersion blender. :angry:

I use my Bamix for any mayo like stuff.  Put the liquid on the bottom with the room temperature eggs, put oil on top.  Start with the mixer at the bottom and work my way up through the oil until done.  Do it right in the jar.

Thanks again Kerry. When you say Bamix I assume that's the same as an immersion blender, right? Of course I have two blenders, a large food processor, and two mini food processors but no immersion blender. :angry:

Yes, indeed, it is an immersion blender. Nice tough one!

As for the haters, please hold off, at least for a little while and let a few MW lovers express their affection this tangy and delicious spread. :laugh:

ACK.......enuf !! NONONONO..........blecch..........

:wacko:

As for the haters, please hold off, at least for a little while and let a few MW lovers express their affection this tangy and delicious spread. :laugh:

I thank you dockhl for both your candor and the remarkable restraint you have shown in waiting this long to post your opinion. You are to be commended. :hmmm: However, as with all oppressed peoples who emerge from the shadows to drink that sweet nectar called freedom I'm afraid that there is no turning back now! Yes some may say that we are "different" and that our love of Miracle Whip is "unnatural" but if you cut us, do we not bleed? And no, we do not bleed Miracle Whip BTW. Our closeted love for this delicious condiment has been liberated and I'm afraid that you'll just have to get used to us taking our rightful place in the culinary world.

WE'RE HERE, WE SCHMEAR, GET USED TO IT!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

I thank you dockhl for both your candor and the remarkable restraint you have shown in waiting this long to post your opinion. You are to be commended. :hmmm: However, as with all oppressed peoples who emerge from the shadows to drink that sweet nectar called freedom I'm afraid that there is no turning back now! Yes some may say that we are "different" and that our love of Miracle Whip is "unnatural" but if you cut us, do we not bleed? And no, we do not bleed Miracle Whip BTW. Our closeted love for this delicious condiment has been liberated and I'm afraid that you'll just have to get used to us taking our rightful place in the culinary world.

Finally, an appropriate place for me to come out!

I haven't bought it in a dog's age, but Miracle Whip makes a tangier potato salad than mayonnaise, tangy enough that I can even get away with omitting the pickle relish from it, though I usually don't.

Ditto for deviled eggs. (Edited to add: And of course, a dollop of Miracle Whip on a fresh, ripe tomato slice is pure heaven.)

I imagine that this "all-natural" recipe above might even convince some of the haters to try it anew--that is, assuming that the hate is based on the artificiality of the mass-produced product and not on its sweet-and-tangy taste (must be the vinegar, mustard and garlic that give the product tang).

Now I'm gonna have to go out and get a jar, or try the homemade version. Before I do, though, I have a question for everyone here:

In what part of the country were you born and raised?

I recall seeing in Harper's quite a while ago a map that demarcated the divide between areas of the country where people prefer mayo and those where Miracle Whip prevails. The line of demarcation pretty much followed the Mason-Dixon line, with Southerners being Miracle Whip aficionados.

Being a native Missourian and thus both Southern and Northern, my divided loyalties on mayo and MW should come as no surprise.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Now I'm gonna have to go out and get a jar, or try the homemade version.  Before I do, though, I have a question for everyone here:

I recall seeing in Harper's quite a while ago a map that demarcated the divide between areas of the country where people prefer mayo and those where Miracle Whip prevails.  The line of demarcation pretty much followed the Mason-Dixon line, with Southerners being Miracle Whip aficionados.

Being a native Missourian and thus both Southern and Northern, my divided loyalties on mayo and MW should come as no surprise.

Southern Ohio, baby! Southwestern corner, Cincinnati Oh. On the West side for those who know the difference :wink: We're right on that Mason-Dixon line. Our accents are even a little twangy for Ohio.

I think I'm going to have to go out and get me some MW.

we're here, we're schmear. Hee hee!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Y'know, that line gets a little fuzzy west of the Mississippi. Nebraska wasn't even around when the Mason-Dixon line was.

But tomatoes with anything other than hamburgers or salt and pepper? Blasphemy.

MW on warm, tender roast beef is great, though.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I use both. Spin Blend too. Anybody get Spin Blend?

My fave for Miracle is a pasta salad I do that features chicken, tomatos, onion, cukes, peas shredded cheddar and tuna. Talk about good.

Mayo for my Blt's, though.

---------------------------------------

Edited to add: And of course, a dollop of Miracle Whip on a fresh, ripe tomato slice is pure heaven.)

Oh, Sandy, say it ain't so! :shock: I might have let you slide had you not edited your post to add the heretical suggestion of schmearing a slice of tomato with the vile substance! My grandmother, who thought nothing of spending a half-day circumnavigating the city in search of the perfect, most-flavorful homegrown tomato every Sunday of every summer, must be spinning like a lathe! Maybe we can have an intervention next time you're in town and try to save you from this terrible affliction. :biggrin:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I haven't bought it in a dog's age, but Miracle Whip makes a tangier potato salad than mayonnaise, tangy enough that I can even get away with omitting the pickle relish from it, though I usually don't.

Ditto for deviled eggs. (Edited to add: And of course, a dollop of Miracle Whip on a fresh, ripe tomato slice is pure heaven.).......................

Now I'm gonna have to go out and get a jar, or try the homemade version. Before I do, though, I have a question for everyone here:

Thanks for your support Sandy! Our numbers are growing by the day, so once again I must reiterate "come out, come out wherever you are and be not afraid." I especially want urge those of you who've been attending those special group meetings promising to make you "normal" and banish your natural urge to use Miracle Whip to give up, they don't work, and you'll only end up being miserable pretending to enjoy mayo on whatever sandwiches, salads, etc. you choose this tasty treat. :rolleyes:

Back to Sandy's original question, although I was born in Washington, DC I consider myself double-Southern since my mother was born in South Carolina and my father was from Virginia. Also when I grew up in DC it was often called a sleepy Southern town since there were so many people from the South who transplanted there.

Seriously, as I've already said I LIKE BOTH MAYO AND MW; it just depends on what I happen to be making or adorning. I wonder, does that make me bi-condimental? :hmmm: