• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miracle Whip: The Topic

divalasvegas

So Miracle Whip is water, oil, sugar and cornstarch all whipped up,  huh.  I think I will stick with my Hellman's, thanks anyway.

I think I speak for Miracle Whip lovers everywhere when I say that our failure to convert you to Miracle Whip is a truly crushing defeat for us, and has us questioning our very sanity.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

So Miracle Whip is water, oil, sugar and cornstarch all whipped up,  huh.   I think I will stick with my Hellman's, thanks anyway.

I think I speak for Miracle Whip lovers everywhere when I say that our failure to convert you to Miracle Whip is a truly crushing defeat for us, and has us questioning our very sanity.

I dunno Patrick S as today is 6-6-06 and given the sentiments of some that MW lovers are indeed in league with Satan, anything is possible! :laugh:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Just remember the next time you pick up a jar of MW that your really buying whipped water.

Brilliant. You might also want to keep in mind that fruits and vegetables are 75-90% water.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

So Miracle Whip is water, oil, sugar and cornstarch all whipped up,  huh.  I think I will stick with my Hellman's, thanks anyway.

I dunno Patrick S as today is 6-6-06 and given the sentiments of some that MW lovers are indeed in league with Satan, anything is possible! :laugh:

Miracle Whip, as the name implies, actually repels the forces of evil.

Hey joiei and Jaymes turns out that our two "peoples" are not so far apart after all.  The ingredient list for Hellmanns:

Soybean oil, whole eggs, vinegar, water, egg yolks, salt, sugar, lemon juice, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA (used to protect quality).

So the only difference is mustard powder and paprika--and I imagine more sugar than goes into regular mayo?

Love is Blind! :smile:

I think the more significant differences are the relative amounts of water, egg and oil and also the greater amount of sugar and the added ingrediants of high fructose corn syrup and food starch (corn ?) in the Miracle Whip.

But hey, I might also be a fan if I grew up with it. I did grow up with my mom using margarine more than butter for cooking. I"m pretty sure she did this for economic rather than taste reasons. She would use butter in applications where the taste of butter was most important. Anyway, I hardly ever use margarine now even though I grew up with it. It may not be entirely a true analogy but after looking up the ingredient lists for Miracle Whip and Mayonnaise I see the analogy between the two as similar to that between margarine and butter. (I.e. Develop an industrial process that can produce something with cheaper ingredients and less nutritive value and add more sugar/high fructose corn syrup to it.) It is not a snob thing; I just find the extra processed aspect and ingredients of Miracle Whip unappealing. The taste doesn't do anything for me either, but again, that might be different if I grew up with it.

Others have pointed out here though, that one is not necessarily a replacement for the other; they see them as two differents ingredients to use in different situations.

Anyway, I don't want to rain on anyone's happy childhood food reminiscences. I was just curious to find out what the ingredients were for Miracle Whip especially since people were discussing trying to replicate making it at home.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Nah, Evil thinks it's delicious!

'Course, Evil can't punctuate...

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

It may or may not, but I think I just stumbled across a great name for a leather bar.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

It may or may not, but I think I just stumbled across a great name for a leather bar.

Very good. :laugh:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Does that mean we're back to the MW as personal lubricant question? Or will this go to a derivative of the birthday shot?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

So Miracle Whip is water, oil, sugar and cornstarch all whipped up,  huh.   I think I will stick with my Hellman's, thanks anyway.

no biggie to me, hey I don't care for oysters either. And my grandfather was an oysterman by trade. Don't be crushed, just a quirk of growing up south of I-10 possibly. And I like mayo with my french fries. I'll bet that grosses some one out. I have to stop this, causing havoc for fun.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Just remember the next time you pick up a jar of MW that your really buying whipped water.

Brilliant. You might also want to keep in mind that fruits and vegetables are 75-90% water.

yes, and they are crunchy and can be served with out being whipped.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

But I like being whipped when I'm being served! Uh-oh, oops sorry, TMI. Carry on. :blink:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

But I like being whipped when I'm being served! Uh-oh, oops sorry, TMI. Carry on. :blink:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I grew up eating Mircale Whip in my food and enjoy it.  My mom's tuna salad, potato salad and deviled eggs just don't taste very good unless she uses MW.

My brother, unfortunately, married into a mayo family. For awhile, my SIL refused to let MW into their house. She now allows a small jar of MW in the fridge to placate my brother. :hmmm:

i have learned to bring my own small jar of miracle whip up when forced to visit the inlaws.

i have got to try to make it myself since i find even the regular seems to be a bit less vinegary than it used to be.

ohhhhhhh, sandy. i have got to try that catalina dressing - my favorite since childhood when drizzled over slices of tomatoes that have been sprinkled with mouth watering blue cheese. i can make a meal of that!!! or a piece of toast with mw and tomato slices.... oh, god when will the good ones come in!!!!?????

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I love Miracle Whip. I love it on saltine crackers (?) This is one of the ultimates in comfort food for me.

in that case try it on ritz crackers - almost orgasmic

and i agree with you on the swiss and tomato - though i am a texture chick and like my bread toasted

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

There is now a broken yellow liquid emulsion in my fridge.  I put some of this stuff on the bread for my sandwich today.  I'll let you all know how it tastes after lunch.

When I get home, I'm throwing out the broken yellow liquid emulsion and starting over with another batch.

The mouthfeel was all wrong and there wasn't enough of it on the bread to really complement the Lebanon bologna, process Swiss and lettuce.

This time, I will use only 1/2 cup of oil and add more vinegar, sugar, mustard powder and paprika.

Breaking off this topic for a second.. Which I have nothing to add in terms of Miracle Whip.. However, I must go out to get it ASAP! You guys have really convinced or maybe hypnotized me that I at least need to try it.. But Market, I must tell you, the PDutch in me is skeptical about any type of Lebanon bologna sandwich besides one with butter and smashed chips in it.. I have seen cream cheese or mustard... Or even it rolled with cream cheese.. But thats it, now I am very intrigued..

Edited by Daniel (log)

It's funny that those of you who are attempting to recreate MW at home keep mentioning mustard and vinegar. That's exactly what my mom uses with MW when making her deviled eggs or potato salad (usually both at the same meal). She uses the same MW base for both.

In a bowl, she spoons a healthy healping of MW, some milk to thin it a little, a whisper of cider vinegar and just a wee bit of regular yellow mustard. Blend it all together. She's like a lab chemist as she tastes the mixture, then adds a skosh more vinegar or the smallest dab of yellow mustard to balance out all the flavors equally.

And when you add this base to potato salad, make sure you also add in the secret ingredient...celery seed (where is fifi? That's her secret ingredient, too :laugh: ).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

It's funny that those of you who are attempting to recreate MW at home  keep mentioning mustard and vinegar. That's exactly what my mom uses with MW when making her deviled eggs or potato salad (usually both at the same meal). She uses the same MW base for both.

In a bowl, she spoons a healthy healping of MW, some milk to thin it a little, a whisper of cider vinegar and just a wee bit of regular yellow mustard. Blend it all together.  She's like a lab chemist as she tastes the mixture, then adds a skosh more vinegar or the smallest dab of yellow mustard to balance out all the flavors equally.

And when you add this base to potato salad, make sure you also add in the secret ingredient...celery seed (where is fifi? That's her secret ingredient, too  :laugh: ).

This is exactly my mom's potato salad recipe! I can never get the quantities right--I think I like a little more mustard than my mom does, but in the finished product it always overwhelms the trademark tangy zip. And I can't stand celery seed in any other capacity, but potato salad isn't the same without it.

Breaking off this topic for a second.. Which I have nothing to add in terms of Miracle Whip.. However, I must go out to get it ASAP!  You guys have really convinced or maybe hypnotized me that I at least need to try it.. But Market, I must tell you, the PDutch in me is skeptical about any type of Lebanon bologna sandwich besides one with butter and smashed chips in it.. I have seen cream cheese or mustard... Or even it rolled with cream cheese.. But thats it, now I am very intrigued..

Well Daniel while I tremble in anticipation at the thought of another convert to the dark side, er, Miracle Whip I'd like to give you a few tips to maximize your virgin MW experience. First of all I would NOT suggest adding it to any type of sandwich since most people, IMHO, who like it on sandwiches grew up eating them that way. Although there's no question that I love MW, I only use it on certain types of sandwiches and would NEVER dream of using it on others such as pastrami, roast beef, corned beef, burgers, etc. (oddly enough when it comes to liverwurst, I'll use mayo or mustard or MW, depending on my mood). :blink:

So instead of "straight up" how about getting a good potato salad recipe that includes it (mine uses half mayo, half MW) and start off that way. Actually, speaking of being part PDutch, don't they have a lot of foods/recipes that have the elements of sweet/tangy or sweet/sour like beets and pickles?

Please report back your results. But if you do decide that MW is worse than polyps, please, please be kind. :smile:

It's funny that those of you who are attempting to recreate MW at home  keep mentioning mustard and vinegar. That's exactly what my mom uses with MW when making her deviled eggs or potato salad (usually both at the same meal). She uses the same MW base for both.

In a bowl, she spoons a healthy healping of MW, some milk to thin it a little, a whisper of cider vinegar and just a wee bit of regular yellow mustard. Blend it all together.  She's like a lab chemist as she tastes the mixture, then adds a skosh more vinegar or the smallest dab of yellow mustard to balance out all the flavors equally.

And when you add this base to potato salad, make sure you also add in the secret ingredient...celery seed (where is fifi? That's her secret ingredient, too  :laugh: ).

The mustard I use is Coleman's DRY mustard - a totally different thing - you know when you feel the "bite."

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Breaking off this topic for a second.. Which I have nothing to add in terms of Miracle Whip.. However, I must go out to get it ASAP!  You guys have really convinced or maybe hypnotized me that I at least need to try it.. But Market, I must tell you, the PDutch in me is skeptical about any type of Lebanon bologna sandwich besides one with butter and smashed chips in it.. I have seen cream cheese or mustard... Or even it rolled with cream cheese.. But thats it, now I am very intrigued..

Well Daniel while I tremble in anticipation at the thought of another convert to the dark side, er, Miracle Whip I'd like to give you a few tips to maximize your virgin MW experience. First of all I would NOT suggest adding it to any type of sandwich since most people, IMHO, who like it on sandwiches grew up eating them that way. Although there's no question that I love MW, I only use it on certain types of sandwiches and would NEVER dream of using it on others such as pastrami, roast beef, corned beef, burgers, etc. (oddly enough when it comes to liverwurst, I'll use mayo or mustard or MW, depending on my mood). :blink:

So instead of "straight up" how about getting a good potato salad recipe that includes it (mine uses half mayo, half MW) and start off that way. Actually, speaking of being part PDutch, don't they have a lot of foods/recipes that have the elements of sweet/tangy or sweet/sour like beets and pickles?

Please report back your results. But if you do decide that MW is worse than polyps, please, please be kind. :smile:

Just FTR, I generally do not put Miracle Whip on my sandwiches. It's just that I had nothing else handy to use it on/with. For sandwiches--other than burgers, hot dogs and cheesesteaks, all of which get ketchup and mustard, except when I have good barbecue sauce on hand; when I do, the burgers get slathered with that--I'm a mayo-and-mustard guy. But as I :wub: liverwurst, and you tell me that you sometimes use Whip on that, Diva, maybe I should try that as the vehicle for evaluating my next batch.

Daniel: Lancaster County tomatoes (greenhouse grown, but grown in local soil) are showing up at the Reading Terminal Market. I don't know if they make it up your way; if they do, go buy one and put the MW on a slice. If they don't, make the potato salad instead.

Daniel, my suggestion is very close to the liverwurst suggestions.

Braunschweiger, rye, and thinly sliced onion. Good, good sandwich. Real good.

Okay, this morning was Batch 2.

Two egg yolks instead of one, 2/3 cup oil, 1 1/2 T sugar, in all 3/4 tsp mustard, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 3/4 tsp lemon juice, 2 T vinegar, forgot the salt and 1/4 tsp cayenne.

Consistency was just about right, maybe a touch runnier than I would have preferred, but two egg yolks were one too many--the color was too yellow.

Flavor profile: Still way off. The sweetness is there but the tang just isn't right; it's flatter than the manufactured product, as Diva said.

About 1/3 of this batch has made its way into a tuna-and-pasta salad with snap peas that I left to chill in the fridge. A little of it is on the liverwurst and Swiss sandwich that I packed for lunch. The rest is in an old pimiento jar I had lying around.

Sandy, my suggestion is to start by making a roux out of a TBSP of the oil and a TBSP of flour. Then use probably half an egg yolk. If you can find double strength vinegar use that. Also, I think there's the tiniest bit of basil in MW. Very tiny, though.