• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miracle Whip: The Topic

divalasvegas

Inspired by the wisdom and good taste :hmmm: of Fresser's recent topic on how to make a sandwich,

How To Make A Sandwich

I noticed an abundance of Miracle Whip haters out there in eGullet-land. :shock: So I began to search through eG to see if there was a thread of admiration on Miracle Whip and once again amazingly :rolleyes: there wasn't one. So I'm outing myself and say that, while I do use mayo (preferably Hellmanns but will also use Kraft) I also use Miracle Whip. I'd like you MW lovers to come out of the shadows and take a public stand for this miraculous condiment. Come on, be brave even though Busboy has promised that he is compiling a list of people who admit to using this product for future blackmail purposes. Please don't leave me hangin'. I want all two or three of you out there to step out and give the great MW its props.

As for the haters, please hold off, at least for a little while and let a few MW lovers express their affection this tangy and delicious spread. :laugh:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Diva, thank you for this thread! While I confess to not ever buying it, it's a huge, part of my childhood. Wonder Bread, Bologna, Velveeta "Cheese," and Miracle whip sandwiches, along with a big piece of iceberg lettuce, were the staples for every kid I knew. I can't not love something that reminds me of being a kid again.

Plus, it really does taste better in some uses. Nonbelievers should try it before they slam it.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Thanks for the support FabulousFoodBabe. I think that Miracle Whip is definitely one of those products that takes us back to our childhoods, for better or worse.

And srhcb and MGLloyd I think you've got it: it's not that folks don't like MW, they just don't understand how to properly use it! :smile: The educational possibilities of this thread are staggering. :laugh:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

We never had actual mayonnaise in our house when I was growing up...until I was 15 and got a job in a restaurant, I thought that Miracle Whip and mayonnaise were the same thing. My mother still uses it for everything.

Miracle Whip is the secret ingredient in my devilled eggs, and it's the best for chicken and turkey sandwiches. It's definitely got it's place my kitchen.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I never had Miracle Whip while growing up, only Best Foods Mayo...............Now I am a MW afficianado!! :biggrin: I use it 5 to 1 over Mayo.

Blackmail away :raz:

Bill

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

I thought that Miracle Whip and mayonnaise were the same thing

Check out the Miracle Whip Web Site for answers to all your questions.

I think Kraft made a serious marketing error by failing to differentiate between Miracle Whip and mayo. Since they offer both products, you'd think they would want people to buy a jar of each?

SB (also prefers MW on a BLT) :smile:

I am definately in the camp that uses Miracle Whip in certain situations. One of the potato salads I make uses half Miracle Whip, half mayonnaise. I use it in deviled eggs, and chicken and turkey sandwhiches. And I prefer it over mayonnaise for BLTs.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I only use mayo when I make it myself, so I'm firmly in the Miracle Whip camp.

There's just nothing like it on a ham and cheese melt...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I am definately in the camp that uses Miracle Whip in certain situations.  One of the potato salads I make uses half Miracle Whip, half mayonnaise.  I use it in deviled eggs, and chicken and turkey sandwhiches.  And I prefer it over mayonnaise for BLTs.

I do the same thing for one of my potato salads too Marlene. Also had it today on a good old fashioned tamater (read that tomato) sammich. Hmmm, the silence from Busboy is rather ominous but I'm sure he'll surface at some point. :biggrin:

Press on........................

.....  I use it in deviled eggs, and chicken and turkey sandwhiches.  And I prefer it over mayonnaise for BLTs.

Bingo. I'm guilty.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

:unsure: I can't stand the taste of Miracle Whip on its own, but for some reason it's all I use when making Waldorf Salad. :huh:

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm from away and it took me about two years to get straight in my head whether cool whip was the mayonnaise-ish substance or miracle whip was. Which made reading recipes that included either rather :blink: Especially once I stumbled across a now long-departed cookie recipe book that leaned heavy on the mayo for moisture. Ugh. However, I mostly posted to register amusement at the linked miracle whip page with the comparison between mayo, with 0% Tangy Zip® and Miracle Whip with 100% Tangy Zip®. It's good to have the nutrition information up front like that! :laugh:

i, too, have been abused for my love of miracle whip. i grew up with it. johnnybird grew up with mayo. i make mayo from scratch but do not get between me and my miracle whip(light these days). it is the best in a chicken waldorf salad, my mom's stuffed- no mustard- eggs, a turkey sandwich on portugese sweet bread with cranberry sauce, potato salad with onion, chopped eggs, peas, relish and miracle whip, very chunky blue cheese salad dressing. tuna salad with celery salt, minced shallots and miracle whip on toast or mixed into macaroni salad with red and green peppers, a piece of toast with miracle whip, a fresh jersey tomato slice and a piece of swiss cheese......

viva la whip

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My parents have gone to light. It is so much more sweet, and so much less tangy that I can't stomach it.

I'm sorry suzulightning, but light MW ain't MW.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I too am a fan of Miracle Whip in certain applications.

For instance, slathered on two pieces of homemade bread, sourdough if possible, between which are arranged slices of fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes and slices of sweet red onion (since the Bermuda has apparently gone the way of the Dodo).

And, on occasion, when I get some really sweet iceberg lettuce (it's rare, but not all of it is tasteless) I will whip up a batch of "Russian" dressing.

Waldorf salad is another application, however I mix it half and half with sour cream, homemade if I am feeling ambitious.

Then there is the blue cheese (actually gorgonzola) and Miracle Whip veggie dip that cannot be duplicated with any other mixture - and I have tried many, many times.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Miracle Whip was the standard tunafish fixin' when I was growing up.

One of my favorite meals in the 1970's was tunafish (made with Miracle Whip, of course) served alongside Kraft macaroni & cheese. My tastebuds have matured since then--I haven't eaten the blue-box concoction in YEARS--but I still like Miracle Whip.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I grew up on mayo, and always wondred why some potato salads and egg salads were "sweet" Nobody could ever give me a straight answer! finally someone called miracle whip "dressin'" as in "salad dressing" the fog cleared from before my eyes and I stood, proudly, for the first time, in the mayo camp. :rolleyes:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

As GourmetLights$ said, when I make Waldorf salad, I only think of using that delectable stuff in very small quantities to lightly dress and bind it (since I have all the ingredients, I'll be making this soon). At least for me, when I think about the traditional ingredients in Waldorf salad--apples, raisins, walnuts, and celery--MW just makes sense and tastes great. Of course, I tend to be a purist with those ingredients but can understand how there can be tasty variations on this theme. However, I remember being horrified at Alton Brown's reinterpretation that added sliced onions, curry powder, and mint and NO MIRACLE WHIP! :shock::laugh:

AB's "Reinvented" Waldorf Salad

And as for you BigboyDan am I to infer that you don't like Miracle Whip? :raz:

My parents have gone to light.  It is so much more sweet, and so much less tangy that I can't stomach it.

I'm sorry, Suzilightning, but light MW ain't MW.

Never before has an eGullet thread propelled me to my fridge to read a jar label...

My own Miracle Whip label--yes, the same one featuring the vaunted Classic Turkey Sandwich recipe--declares that regular Miracle Whip has a mere 3 grams of fat per serving. How much lower in fat could Miracle Whip Light be?

Edited by Fresser (log)

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com