• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

fixed a typo

33 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I lived in Toronto as a child and had Niagra peaches.  Since then , living in Edmonton I had not had a peach until we moved to the Okanagan. oMG, a real, juicy, peach is a thing of beauty. 

When we get down to southern Ontario in peach season I eat as many as I can get my hands on.  We have a farmer's market that started 10 years ago and a fruit farmer from Beamsville comes up with peaches,  cherries,  plums, etc.  The first year was fabulous, nice ripe peaches. Then he realized he could sell ones that looked ripe but weren't and could be transported with much less waste due to bruising,  etc. And people would still buy them.  And that was the last of the ripe, juicy, delicious peaches, and I no longer buy them.  At least, not in this city. 

ElsieD

ElsieD

25 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I lived in Toronto as a child and had Niagra peaches.  Since then , living in Edmonton I had not had a peach until we moved to the Okanagan. oMG, a real, juicy, peach is a thing of beauty. 

When we get down to southern Ontario in peach season I eat as many as I can get my hands on.  We have a farmer's market that started 10 years ago and a fruit farmer from Beamsville comes up with peaches,  cherries,  plums, etc.  The first year was fabulous, nice ripe peaches. Then he realized he could sell ones that looked ripe but weren't and could be transported with much less waste due to bruising,  etc. And people would still buy them.  And that was the last of the ripe, juicy, delicuous peaches, and I no longer buy them.  At least, not in this city.