• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orchid Delight

When I read the news that OD was opening on Burrard and Broadway, I was jumping for joy as I dialled my sister's number! This was our family's "go to" for home cooked Singaporean and Malaysian food when they were in Burnaby. Needless to say, we were heartbroken when they shut their doors. Going there was like going home.....

My sister and I just got back from a feast there. The space is lovely, clean and simply decorated. The menu is easy to read and decifer for new comers to the food...and a good broad sampling of the cuisine.

Our first words to the server, which was the son, were "please bear in mind that we want leftovers"! We had the oyster omelette, lemak laksa, singaporean style hor fun, and the hainanese chicken rice. We pretty much had decided this early today. Oh, I can't forget about the sambal (heaven). Bonus was that it was freshly cooked and still hot from the wok.

Everything was delicious, with just the right amount of heat. It's simple food, simply cooked, with clean flavours and fresh ingredients. Washed down with a Tiger beer, this girl is a happy camper!

The price...so reasonable. With all that food, a Tiger beer and an iced lychee drink ran us about $55, with plenty of leftovers for lunch for both of us.

I love this place. It's a family owned and operated little place. The parents are from Sinagpore and have the South East Asian hospitality. Lovely people, lovely food, lovely place. :wub:

Orchid Delight

2445 Burrard St. 604-731-0221

Hours are from about 11:30 to 3, 5:30 to 9

Quentina

I work about 10 minutes away from that restaurant. It was a diner for a while, and then it was closed and got renovated. The diner re-opened for about a week, and then the restaurant closed again.

And now this!

Well, I'm going to have to try it now!! whee!

I work about 10 minutes away from that restaurant.  It was a diner for a while, and then it was closed and got renovated.  The diner re-opened for about a week, and then the restaurant closed again.

And now this!

Well, I'm going to have to try it now!! whee!

From what I understood after talking to them last night, they were there doing cheap breakfasts....and not exactgly enjoying being a diner. They decided then, that they would go back to doing what they did best.

Do go and enjoy!

Quentina

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from dinner there; ordered as follows:

1. Chicken Satay;

2. Fried Radish Cake;

3. Hokkianese Prawn Mee; &

4. Hainanese Chicken with Rice.

The prawn mee was a bit plain and the seafood ingredients could have been fresher. The Haianese chicken was all right, but not quite as good as Cafe D'Lite's (on West Broadway). But the satay -- especially the peanut sauce condiment -- was one of the best in town and the fried radish cake was quite authenic and hard to find elsewhere. Around $50 for two with drinks. Service friendly but leisurely.

This place is a good introduction to Malaysian/Singaporean food for those who are not familiar with it, for it has a wide array of choices that are relatively risk-free. It's easy to find and park. There are a few other dishes that I would go back to sample. This is restaurant I would recommend to others.

Orchild Delight is open Tuesday to Sunday till 9:00pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped by Orchid Delight the other night on the advice of this thread, and had very nice dinner. Mee goreng, spicy salty tofu (which was absolutely perfect with the beer), and a vegetable dish with a long name with which we should not have tried to expand our culinary horizons by ordering 'spicy'.

One of the owners came out and asked how everything was at the end of our dinner and we ended up having a bit of a chat. Apparently the president of Singapore had lunch there on his visit to Vancouver last week! Now that's an endorsement.