• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starker's Reserve - KC

moosnsqrl

Thanks for the details John.

I was delighted to read about the Broadmoor Tech/Cliff Bath fund. Great idea and one I'm certain he would have approved of.

There are a couple of events on the horizon that I am long overdue mentioning - so overdue, in fact, one of them may be past.  John, now that you have more free time ( :laugh:) if you could let us know about these, that would be great.

Akaushi Beef Dinner

St. Patrick's Day Dinner

I tried the Events page on the website but they've not yet appeared.

Thanks.

We are having a wine dinner with Adam Lee and Brian Loring. Adam is the Wine maker of Siduri and Novy, while Brian is the winemaker at Loring Wine Co. That is this Thursday.

Our next event is on March 17th. We are having an Akaushi Beef Dinner. We are pairing the dinner with wines from Dain Winery. David Dain Smith is wine maker and he will be there speaking about the wines.

Also we are planning a charity wine dinner the first part of June and all of the procedes will go to the fund that we set up at the Broadmore tech school in Cliff Bath's name. We are going to bring in the heavy hitter in the wine world for this one. That is what we have on the horizon right now, check the websight out for details later. starkersrestaurant.com

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 3 months later...

Starker's Restaurant will be hosting a Tribute Dinner for Cliff Bath, the restaurant's founder, on Thursday, June 5.

I don't know whether there are any more seats available. Here's the information:

Five-Course Dinner with Paired Wines

Thursday, June 5, 2008

6:30 p.m.

$250, per person

Small Bites with Reception

**Menu**

First Course

Crawfish Maison with Local Potatoes, Egg, Frisee and Herb Vinaigrette

Second Course

Grilled Foie Gras with Creole Beignets, Strawberry and Rhubarb

Third Course

Dover Sole a la Cliff: Scallop, Crab, Asparagus and Meyer Lemon Brown Butter

Fourth Course

Roast Loin of Beef with Chateau Potatoes, Peas, Carrots and Cabernet Jus

Dessert

Grand Marnier Soufflé with Fresh Berries and White Chocolate Grand Marnier Sauce

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

Save the date:

Starker's (4th?) Annual Heirloom Dinner

Monday August 4, 2008

If you've never been to one of these, you're in for a treat! The menu is never determined until a day or two out so I don't have any more info than the date, but thought I would pass it along.

And here's hoping the uncooperative weather trends end so we can look forward to some better late-summer produce!

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that Starker's is offering a 3-course/$33 menu Mon-Thurs evenings. Click here for more detail.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 weeks later...

AAAAUGH! This summer has slipped away completely... how is it that I totally flaked on this?

I've called and left a pathetic message... fingers crossed... please please please let there be two cancellations...

If I can't sweet-talk my way in, I'm hoping you all come back and give a full report.

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

AAAAUGH! This summer has slipped away completely... how is it that I totally flaked on this?

I've called and left a pathetic message... fingers crossed... please please please let there be two cancellations...

If I can't sweet-talk my way in, I'm hoping you all come back and give a full report.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but I'm not giving you my seat. I've been salivating all morning in anticipation. I'm hoping they'll think I have rabies and send me home from work. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm sure your employers are used to it by now.  :wink:

Yes, I tend to stay in jobs long enough for my employers to acclimate to my idiosyncracies, unlike some people. :raz:

I'm sure John and Dave are busy in the kitchen but, if either of you are reading this, please could you post the menu somewhere (here, your website, my inbox)?

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm sure your employers are used to it by now.  :wink:

Yes, I tend to stay in jobs long enough for my employers to acclimate to my idiosyncracies, unlike some people. :raz:

I'm sure John and Dave are busy in the kitchen but, if either of you are reading this, please could you post the menu somewhere (here, your website, my inbox)?

Man you guys are ruthless!

I really wish I could go to this also. I need to go to Starker's badly. I haven't been in over a year. Dave and John are a duo to be reckoned with.

wife+baby+resto+pain in the ass staff= no time for poppa

BTW - they have a new menu too. One side is a tribute to the classics that has made Starker's famous. The other is John and Dave's modern injection. I would love to hear how great it is!

Edited by ChefCAG (log)

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

I'M IN! Woohooooo! Do they have a "happy dance" smilie?!

Good thing my mom sent a check for almost exactly the price of two seats for our anniversary. Saves us from having to sell another of the kids' kidneys (see, 'Wench, there IS an upside to multiple offspring!).

My only regret is that I have just a few hours to build up anticipation. Half the fun is in the wondering and dreaming.

Okay, well, not half. Maybe a tenth.

Note to self: Remember the damned camera this time.

See you tonight! My face is gonna be :biggrin: all day!

wife+baby+resto+pain in the ass staff= no time for poppa

BTW - they have a new menu too. One side is a tribute to the classics that has made Starker's famous. The other is John and Dave's modern injection. I would love to hear how great it is!

Funny - your staff says the same thing about you!

I did *not* know about the new menu - obviously won't be dining from it tonight but will try to get a look at it (since it's not on the website yet :hmmm: )

M.F.K. Fisher

I am still full, and have made two friends burst into tears of jealousy with my recitation of the menu.

OMG so good.  (Not to rub it in or anything, Colby)

What is this all about? Are you going to be *evil,* or are you going to be a good little wench and tell us all about the dinner so that we can burst into tears of jealousy along with your two friends?!?!

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I am still full, and have made two friends burst into tears of jealousy with my recitation of the menu.

OMG so good.  (Not to rub it in or anything, Colby)

What is this all about? Are you going to be *evil,* or are you going to be a good little wench and tell us all about the dinner so that we can burst into tears of jealousy along with your two friends?!?!

The 4th annual heirloom dinner was Monday night. I'm still digesting as well, but will kick it off.

Watermelon martinis with passed hors d'oeuvres: mini blts, fried green tomatoes w/remoulade, bite-size crostini with assorted cherry tomatoes and ??? (I had only one of these so I can't recall what else was on them - I'm not telling how many blts I had :rolleyes:).

Next up (after seating and a few words from our hosts). . . A tomato tasting: a skewer of cherry tomato, melon ball and goat cheese 'bocconcino'; roasted tomato cream soup, served chilled; someone help me out here with the third part of t his and carry on!

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

M.F.K. Fisher

...someone help me out here with the third part of t his and carry on!

Wasn't the third thing a tiny tomato tart? With arugula oil that made the puff pastry bright green? Very pretty.

The third hors d'oeuvre was a nummy little mini-BLT.

I don't have my menu in front of me... but I think the next thing was a salad featuring string beans (one kind had a cool name... provider beans?), gypsy peppers and a dressing with just a smidge of blue cheese? Bright, colorful, and fresh.

I don't wanna mess up... I'll find my menu and if nobody's picked up the ball, I'll type it in...

Wasn't the third thing a tiny tomato tart? With arugula oil that made the puff pastry bright green? Very pretty.

Of course, how could I forget that?

The third hors d'oeuvre was a nummy little mini-BLT.

that was one of the two I *did* remember - because I ate a lot of them - it was whatever was NOT a mini-BLT or a fried green tomato. I guess I should've capitalized my BLT - now that I look at it again, it looks more like "bit."

I've been trying to remember to scan the menu in for 2 nights now and can't seem to get it done. :angry::blink::wacko:

M.F.K. Fisher

• 8 months later...