• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starker's Reserve - KC

moosnsqrl

... Highlights for me were the amuse of broccoli and goat cheese soup and the permisson ice cream for dessert!

:shock:

Katie, I hope you meant "persimmon" ice cream... 'cause I know I don't have to get anyone's "permission" to eat my ice cream!! :raz:

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Katie, I hope you meant "persimmon" ice cream... 'cause I know I don't have to get anyone's "permission" to eat my ice cream!!  :raz:

u.e.

No, but you DO have to eat all of your vegetables first :cool:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

... Highlights for me were the amuse of broccoli and goat cheese soup and the permisson ice cream for dessert!

:shock:

Katie, I hope you meant "persimmon" ice cream... 'cause I know I don't have to get anyone's "permission" to eat my ice cream!! :raz:

u.e.

Obviously!! :laugh: Geez! (Where's the smilie smacking it's head with it's hand?!?) Oh, where would we be without u.e. to catch all our spelling and grammar errors?! :wink:

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Can't wait to get back and see what you're cooking up NOW!

Big Country, I saw you come into the dining room a couple of times during the evening, and I wish I'd had the guts to tell you that a fellow (albeit newbie) eGulleter was visiting. I hope to return soon, and when I do, I'll try to work up the nerve to say hello! I do have to admit to taking a verrrry long time to traverse the hallway outside your kitchen, so I could gawp at your wonderful toys and tools...

Thank you, Big Country and Starker's Reserve, for a memorable celebration.

Aw, come on... he's really a very nice guy! Nothing to be scared of.

And I'm sure he's had all his shots. . . :laugh:

Can't wait to get back and see what you're cooking up NOW!

Big Country, I saw you come into the dining room a couple of times during the evening, and I wish I'd had the guts to tell you that a fellow (albeit newbie) eGulleter was visiting. I hope to return soon, and when I do, I'll try to work up the nerve to say hello! I do have to admit to taking a verrrry long time to traverse the hallway outside your kitchen, so I could gawp at your wonderful toys and tools...

Thank you, Big Country and Starker's Reserve, for a memorable celebration.

Aw, come on... he's really a very nice guy! Nothing to be scared of.

And I'm sure he's had all his shots. . . :laugh:

anthrax included :laugh:

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps this is old news, but congratulations to Big Country on his acquisition of Starker's Reserve, as announced in today's Star!

Did you mean condolences, mama? :laugh: Actually, as Big Country is the son of a rancher, I think we can retrofit and old farmer joke:

Did you hear about the Rancher who was convicted of child abuse?

No, what happened?

He left the spread to his son in his will. <<rimshot>>

I'll be here all week. Try the veal. And don't forget to tip your server.

Only a farmer/rancher's son could think that owning a restaurant would involve fewer hours and less risk than going into the family business!

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad you fared better with the weather. I tried to take the Chicago friend there but realized early-on that it was going to be a dicey proposition with planes, trains and automobiles trying to make connections during the first arctic blast in the midwest. Unfortunately (for ALL of us) I was forced to cook. The good news was that we were safe and able to relax and enjoy some wines from our 'cellar'; the bad news - I was really psyched for checking out the new menu and didn't get to. I'm sure I'll be able to rationalize a visit soon, though. 'Tis the season.

M.F.K. Fisher

Yes, I'm fortunate in that I live where I probably could have walked if I really wanted to. That storm played havoc with my original plans, too.

Just this morning, the snow melted enough to reveal a package that had been delivered before the snow fell (a new oven thermometer for the husband's stocking, shh!). It's been out there for three days!

Hope your friends had safe travels, and plan to return soon to find out what they missed!

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

Yes, I'm fortunate in that I live where I probably could have walked if I really wanted to. That storm played havoc with my original plans, too.

Just this morning, the snow melted enough to reveal a package that had been delivered before the snow fell (a new oven thermometer for the husband's stocking, shh!). It's been out there for three days!

Hope your friends had safe travels, and plan to return soon to find out what they missed!

Yes, you're fortunate . . . the only thing I can walk to is my refrigerator (or, perhaps, a neighbor's house).

What temperature was the thermometer registering when you dug it out of the snow?

The friends are safely back in Chicago and, yes, they will return soon. They come here 3 times in about 6 weeks around the holidaze and then they disappear for another 10-11 months.

I'm going to be dreaming about that Thermador for a while. Who knows . . . if they're open for lunch and putting token tomatoes on sandwiches to please the burger crowd, maybe they'll be offering delivery soon, eh John? :laugh:

M.F.K. Fisher

• 3 months later...

Kicking off a recent weekend trip to St. Louis, my wife and I stopped at Starker’s Reserve on the Plaza for lunch.

The lunch menu was a little confusing to me, sort of skipping around from cuisine-to-cuisine: shrimp po’ boy, bucatini all’amatriciana, nicoise salad, steaks and burgers, etc. While I was happy to see local producers on the menu, I was hoping for a more seasonal approach and some more creatively intriguing dishes.

I usually avoid pasta when eating out…it’s often done poorly and it’s relatively easy to make well at home, but the promise of guanciale and bucatini swayed me (I notice its now pancetta and linguine, which probably would not have). I was glad to be swayed, because the dish was really quite good, well-cooked pasta, dressed with welcome modesty. Certainly a satisfying lunch. My wife ordered pasta too, with butternut squash, greens and Scimeca sausage. She was quite satisfied, and based on a bite or two, I can see why. Neither dish was earth-shattering, but a solid bowl of pasta is a worthy accomplishment.

We ordered the crab cake appetizer, which did show a little more creativity. I really enjoyed the dressing of seaweed salad with bits of nori. The crab cakes themselves were a little disappointing, though, as there were very few actual lumps…texturally more similar to shredded crab. This is not an unexpected complaint, as you don’t typically get good lump cakes in this part of the country. They generously split our order between two plates, and it was a satisfying start.

Cookies were our dessert, and they were enjoyable as well. I got a cup of coffee, brought in a small French press, which was excellent.

The wine list is massive and extremely deep.

What was most striking to me about the whole meal, though, was the feeling I was eating at my (well, not mine, actually, but someone’s) grandma’s house. The room (which I think may have been recently updated?), menu, and clientele were surprisingly subdued and conservative. I was, for some reason, expecting something a bit more contemporary, but I certainly blame only myself for that.

The dinner menu looks a little more interesting, but quite expensive. I’m interested in going back, but honestly, don’t have a great sense of urgency to do so.

I wrote this before looking back over this thread, and it looks like I've got to go back for a summer menu for dinner...those meals from last July sound fantastic.

Starker’s Reserve

201 West 47th Street

Kansas City, Missouri 64112

816-753-3565

http://www.starkersreserve.com/

Thanks, Aaron for that report. Without being able to say that I've had the crab cakes at Starker's Reserve, I certainly can agree that the term "lump" is too often abused by restaurants - there's nothing more disappointing to me than a shredded crab cake.

Sounds like you had a decent start to your getaway.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Aaron, the guanciale and bucatini are back on the menu. I had it last Tuesday with my visiting-from-out-of-town sister... perfect for a slightly chilly spring day! (More on that meal, plus a visit to the American Restaurant, on my blog.)

What brings me back to this thread is to let you guys know that Chef John is giving Starkers a serious makeover... iirc, a paint job last Sunday, and new carpeting coming in this Sunday. Give it a week or so for all the fumes to dissipate, then head back for more of that fantastic pasta.

Don't forget the snickerdoodles!

• 3 months later...

I couldn't figure out why this thread was buried so deeply - I just ate at Starker's in late May - and now I see I didn't manage to post about it. Oy, I hate when that happens. We took a neighbor there for his birthday and enjoyed three great appetizers and entrees. Six in all and not a bad bite in the lot. I was so sure I wrote about it - will have to check the desktop at the office to see if I can find it.

Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk (actually, if I had been drinking milk I probably would still remember the details and rewrite it) . . . the point of this post was to remind everyone about the upcoming heirloom dinner. This is the 3rd year Chef McClure and his merry band of farmers have celebrated the high season with a five-course menu showcasing local foods. I highly recommend it to everyone! You can find details here.

I can't wait!

I was trying to post pix from last year's but ImageGullet and I seem to be at cross-purposes at the moment. I will try again later.

M.F.K. Fisher

I couldn't figure out why this thread was buried so deeply - I just ate at Starker's in late May - and now I see I didn't manage to post about it.  Oy, I hate when that happens.  We took a neighbor there for his birthday and enjoyed three great appetizers and entrees.  Six in all and not a bad bite in the lot.  I was so sure I wrote about it - will have to check the desktop at the office to see if I can find it. 

Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk (actually, if I had been drinking milk I probably would still remember the details and rewrite it) . . .  the point of this post was to remind everyone about the upcoming heirloom dinner.  This is the 3rd year Chef McClure and his merry band of farmers have celebrated the high season with a five-course menu showcasing local foods.  I highly recommend it to everyone!  You can find details here

I can't wait!

I was trying to post pix from last year's but ImageGullet and I seem to be at cross-purposes at the moment.  I will try again later.

Makes me wonder if the bartender knows how to make a righteous milk punch like the one I tasted in New Orleans last week at the Bombay club.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Makes me wonder if the bartender knows how to make a righteous milk punch like the one I tasted in New Orleans last week at the Bombay club.

After enjoying Chef John's crawfish and gumbo... well, if it's from N'awlins, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him make a good one!

• 2 weeks later...

OMFG . . . I don't have a sweet tooth, don't even, as a rule, eat dessert, but I have been, for the last 45 minutes, in the afterglow of a major food orgasm, courtesy of the blackberry bread pudding that was the final note of the Heirloom Dinner @ Starker's.

I am sure mamagotcha and, dare we hope, Chicago Wench, will weigh in with more detail, but I am so myopically transfixed by the epiphany that was our dessert tonight, I can't see past it at this time. Maybe tomorrow.

Chef John, you and your entire staff rock. Thanks very much to all and feel better.

M.F.K. Fisher

And may John be feeling better this morning, too! Daaaaaang that was a transcendent way to end a meal. My shredded wheat and soymilk is not looking so appealing this morning.

Mamagotcha! where are you and your photos!

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

Sorry to keep you all waiting! Long day filled with other people's children... argh. Anyway, full report and crappy phone photos up at my blog:

http://moodyfoodie.livejournal.com/18555.html#cutid1

Eater's Digest version:

Watermelon martinis are a yummy novelty.

The Crums are amazing farmers.

Chef John cooks really well when he should be in bed.

Seared sea scallops, corn, chard and tomatoes are a divine mix.

I think I've eaten my yearly allotment of lamb.

The collective harmonic moans of 84 individuals floating over the KC Metro area last night about 9:15pm were representative of the most joy that could possibly be derived with clothes still on.

UE, what were you thinking, sitting this one out?!

Great to meet you and your lad and your knitting, 'wench!

Judy? You still walkin' funny?

• 5 months later...

There are a couple of events on the horizon that I am long overdue mentioning - so overdue, in fact, one of them may be past. John, now that you have more free time ( :laugh:) if you could let us know about these, that would be great.

Akaushi Beef Dinner

St. Patrick's Day Dinner

I tried the Events page on the website but they've not yet appeared.

Thanks.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

M.F.K. Fisher

There are a couple of events on the horizon that I am long overdue mentioning - so overdue, in fact, one of them may be past.  John, now that you have more free time ( :laugh:) if you could let us know about these, that would be great.

Akaushi Beef Dinner

St. Patrick's Day Dinner

I tried the Events page on the website but they've not yet appeared.

Thanks.

We are having a wine dinner with Adam Lee and Brian Loring. Adam is the Wine maker of Siduri and Novy, while Brian is the winemaker at Loring Wine Co. That is this Thursday.

Our next event is on March 17th. We are having an Akaushi Beef Dinner. We are pairing the dinner with wines from Dain Winery. David Dain Smith is wine maker and he will be there speaking about the wines.

Also we are planning a charity wine dinner the first part of June and all of the procedes will go to the fund that we set up at the Broadmore tech school in Cliff Bath's name. We are going to bring in the heavy hitter in the wine world for this one. That is what we have on the horizon right now, check the websight out for details later. starkersrestaurant.com

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.