• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starker's Reserve - KC

moosnsqrl

Bumping to call to your attention a special event at Starker's Reserve.

August 7 we'll be enjoying the Local Heirloom Vegetable Dinner, as interpreted by Chef John McClure.  The format is 5 courses with wine pairings for a reasonable (assuming no plonk :raz:) $75.

By then all of the really good stuff should be plentiful and who can't use a new idea or three for the glut of tomatoes, squash, etc. that we long for ~9 months of the year and then curse in August and September?

If you wish to discuss attending, please do so within the parameters of the forum policies :cool:

I was just thinking about going in for the heirloom vegetable dinner the other day.. .

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping to see if Big Country would share the menu for Monday's heirloom dinner with us a few days in advance?

I've barely recovered from dinner last night and have several more Heartland Gathering baccanals between now and then, but I need a carrot (metaphorically speaking - although if you have a scarlet nantes lying around, I wouldn't turn it down) to inspire me on the long drive home.

Tuesday the lettuce and water diet begins :shock:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Bumping to see if Big Country would share the menu for Monday's heirloom dinner with us a few days in advance? 

I've barely recovered from dinner last night and have several more Heartland Gathering baccanals between now and then, but I need a carrot (metaphorically speaking - although if you have a scarlet nantes lying around, I wouldn't turn it down) to inspire me on the long drive home.

I haven't been telling anyone the menu, not even my Mom and Dad. They even helped me at the market this morning!!! :shock: But.. for all of you e gulleter's out there. :smile:

I don't have all of the varieties of each vegetable listed I need to get them all from the farmers. Still.... :wink: I just called Dave

Amuse

Brandywine tomato water with basil oil, Goatsbeard Farms Walloon and Sungold Tomato pick

1st course

Seared Sea Scallop with Beets, Cucumber, Carrot Cream

2nd course

Heirloom Tomato Tart with Sweet Basil Pesto, Fresh Goatcheese and Roasted Eggplant Caviar

3rd course

Pan Roasted Alaskan Halibut with Sweet Corn, Potatoes, Peppers, Beau Solais Farms Oyster Mushrooms and Gribiche

4th course

Braised Heritage Pork: Shoulder and Belly with Finager Eggplant and Baby Summer Squash and Oven Roasted Tomatoes

Dessert

Missouri Blackberry Shortcake with Blackberry Ice Cream

See you on Monday Judy

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

I haven't been telling anyone the menu, not even my Mom and Dad. They even helped me at the market this morning!!! :shock: But.. for all of you e gulleter's out there. :smile:

I don't have all of the varieties of each vegetable listed I need to get them all from the farmers. Still.... :wink: I just called Dave

Amuse

Brandywine tomato water with basil oil, Goatsbeard Farms Walloon and Sungold Tomato pick

1st course

Seared Sea Scallop with Beets, Cucumber, Carrot Cream

2nd course

Heirloom Tomato Tart with Sweet Basil Pesto, Fresh Goatcheese and Roasted Eggplant Caviar

3rd course

Pan Roasted Alaskan Halibut with Sweet Corn, Potatoes, Peppers, Beau Solais Farms Oyster Mushrooms and Gribiche

4th course

Braised Heritage Pork: Shoulder and Belly with Finager Eggplant and Baby Summer Squash and Oven Roasted Tomatoes

Dessert

Missouri Blackberry Shortcake with Blackberry Ice Cream

See you on Monday Judy

I didn't mean to make you divulge a deep, dark secret but thanks. That should keep me driving at a pace that will find me on your doorstep in time.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Big Country.

Are you sure you can' pospone the dinner just a few more weeks so that I can return from my trip to enjoy this wonderful dinner? *pout*

Seriously - it looks great. I look forward to the report.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Blackberries, my favorite. There is a new Fried Pie place here that makes blackberry fried pies. I think I will go get one. And on Monday I will be crying that I can't be there.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Blackberries, my favorite.  There is a new Fried Pie place here that makes blackberry fried pies.  I think I will go get one.  And on Monday I will be crying that I can't be there.

Looks Great!!! Should be a awsome evening. I undoutably won't be able to go cause i'm sure Dave will!!! :angry:

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

I undoutably won't be able to go cause i'm sure Dave will!!!  :angry:

You couldn't go because . . .? Ahem. Dave worked last night. :wink:

I had to race home from the Heartland event to get back for this but it was well worth it. Everyone seemed especially convivial and with fabulous heirlooms to celebrate and delicious, thoughtfully paired wines, how could it be otherwise?

After a cocktail hour featuring blackberry martinis, prosecco and hors d'oeuvres (house-made potato chip w/ceviche and a melon cube, fried green tomatoes topped with ?, and bruschetta with a tomato concasse) we were seated and what happened then was a surprise to me. Cliff Bath, who has sheparded Starker's for the last 34 years, stood to announce that he is stepping down and in a soon-to-be-consummated deal, our own Chef Big Country will be the new keeper of the flame. This is a huge relief as I believe we can look forward to continued fine dining - under local ownership - on The Plaza, which is all too rare as it has taken on the aspect of so many other malls with all of the usual suspects emerging as the only ones who can afford the rent.

Anyway, congratulations John. I'm so far behind on e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g it may be a while before I get a proper posting and/or pics up but just thought I would share the good news and let everyone know there's more to come.

Over dessert, several of the loyal regulars rose to pay tribute to Cliff and local character and raconteur Stephen Molloy, a former sommelier there, nearly brought the house down with his amusing, expletive-riddled homage to the founder. A great time was had by all. I'll do a better job on the food descriptions later.

M.F.K. Fisher

Bath, who has sheparded Starker's for the last 34 years, stood to announce that he is stepping down and in a soon-to-be-consummated deal, our own Chef Big Country will be the new keeper of the flame.  This is a huge relief as I believe we can look forward to continued fine dining - under local ownership - on The Plaza, which is all too rare as it has taken on the aspect of so many other malls with all of the usual suspects emerging as the only ones who can afford the rent.

Anyway, congratulations John...

Congratulations, Chef McClure from half-way around the world! Yes, there have been underground currents on this bit of news and I'm excited for you and Starker's Reserve!

Judy, not to hound you particularly - but can someone talk heirloom tomatoes to me? I've been dying to hear all about it!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Congratulations John! I look forward to sampling many, many more of your flavors of ice cream! :smile:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Congratulations John!  I look forward to sampling many, many more of your flavors of ice cream!  :smile:

Me too! Me too! :raz: Go ahead Big Country, tease me with what you've got in the freezer right now!! :smile:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Congratulations John!  I look forward to sampling many, many more of your flavors of ice cream!  :smile:

Me too! Me too! :raz: Go ahead Big Country, tease me with what you've got in the freezer right now!! :smile:

u.e.

Vanilla Bean, Blackberry, White Chocolate Bing Cherry, Starwberry Balsamic Yogart

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

u.e.

Vanilla Bean, Blackberry, White Chocolate Bing Cherry, Starwberry Balsamic Yogart

Hold the scooper! Save some for me for when I return to KC!! :raz:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

John has always been a great influence on me.. I'll never forget the times I've had working with him (who could forget about Big Country??), his fun loving/hard working personality is not hard to get a long with. He has shown so much passion for good food and it shows through all of his accomplishments! I'd like to say it's another victory for the Kansas City food scene. Congrats Big Country!

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Congratulations, definitely, are in order. This is good news for all of us!

After seeing a list of what's in your freezer, I have become very homesick for KC. Which is odd, since it was my home for only about 3 months, 25 years ago. :blink:

Can't wait to get back and see what you're cooking up NOW!

• 1 month later...
Can't wait to get back and see what you're cooking up NOW!

My husband and I celebrated our 7th anniversary last Saturday, and decided to splurge with a visit to Big Country's establishment. So I can tell you what he was cooking up on September 16, 2006:

We didn't order a soup this evening, but we got some anyway... a server brought us two tall shotglasses with a lovely corn soup in them, tawny yellow and rich with tiny green snips of chives (he even garnished these tiny amuses!). It was a very sweet gesture and certainly helped us relax... we don't get out much, and when we do, it's very rare that we spend more than $50 for the night. So we were just a little nervous about blowing a big pile on one meal... a totally baseless fear, as it turned out.

Our waiter was Jonathan, who immediately put us at ease and helped us figure out our food and wine choices without making us feel like total bumpkins. Big Country, if you have any say at all in the retention of the dining room staff, make sure this guy gets tenure. He's a gem!

We started out with the "Ahi tuna tartare with avocado, cucumber, cilantro and spicy lemon vinaigrette." It was also strongly supported by the addition of sesame seeds, and in general brought to mind an excellent sushi roll. We were drinking a half-bottle of white wine with this (an Oregon vineyard whose name escapes me, a Pinot Gris if I'm remembering correctly) and our salads.

My husband had the "Hearts of romaine Caesar topped with pecorino shavings and white anchovies." I went with the "Mix lettuce salad with Granny Smith apples, Maytag cheese, spiced walnuts and Pommery mustard vinaigrette." Both were fresh, excellently made, and we didn't rush a bite. My husband in particular was glad to see actual anchovy on his Caesar, instead of just a hint of them in the dressing or wet little bits tossed in.

The bread came by, and I asked if it was made in-house. The server told me it was the local Farm to Market Italian bread ("You can get it in grocery stores here"). It was the only time during the entire meal that I felt the tiniest bit of ordinary life had snuck into the dining room, but it was still very good bread.

For the second half of our meal, we had a Napa Valley wine, Storybook's Mayacamas Range Zinfandel if I'm recalling correctly, another half-bottle. Then, our entrees arrived: I had the "Grilled rack of lamb with savory butternut squash and pecan bread pudding, Beau Solais Farms oyster mushrooms, and sage demi glace", and my husband had "Pan roasted veal chop with fall squash risotto, roasted pumpkin, wilted Swiss chard, toasted pepitas and pumpkin seed vinaigrette."

We savored every single morsel on those plates. It was quite an exciting thing for us, to enjoy food that has been prepared with the care of an artist creating a painting. We felt like we were witnessing some incredible harmonies in these meals, things that we have only heard of and glimpsed in our past culinary adventures. The only thing we could compare it to in our past was a visit to Zuni Cafe in San Francisco about five years ago.

Every detail was attended to: the portions of each item were an appropriate size, the colors and shapes were arranged in an attractive manner, nothing was over- or under-cooked, no flavors were bizarre or out of place.

My dessert of a slice of decadent chocolate truffle, and my husband's glass of fresh raspberries with a Grand Marnier/white chocolate sauce were lovely, fresh, not-too-sweet ways to round off the meal (along with the excellent house blend coffee... even the decaf was wonderful).

This meal was worth every single penny we paid, and my only regret is that we're not in a position to do this every month!

Big Country, I saw you come into the dining room a couple of times during the evening, and I wish I'd had the guts to tell you that a fellow (albeit newbie) eGulleter was visiting. I hope to return soon, and when I do, I'll try to work up the nerve to say hello! I do have to admit to taking a verrrry long time to traverse the hallway outside your kitchen, so I could gawp at your wonderful toys and tools...

Thank you, Big Country and Starker's Reserve, for a memorable celebration.

Edited by mamagotcha (log)

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

Welcome mamagotcha!!

Thanks for the report back. I had hoped to get to Starker's for Restaurant week, but was outta town :sad:! Sounds like you had a great meal!

Can you describe the tuna tartare more? Was it in a roll?

The savory butternut squash pudding: was it soft or more like bread pudding? The description sounds wonderful, but I'm having a hard time imagining what it's like?

Also, what's the "slice of chocolate truffle?" It sounds as if you just had a chocolate truffle (bon bon) sliced.

Oh, and thanks for the tip on Jonathan - I'll be sure to ask for him when I go!!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Wow, it sounds like we all need to get down there and check out the fall menu! I think I'll try to hold-off until the Art Fair is over, though.

I wouldn't be too afraid of Big Country - unless he's brandishing a chef's knife :laugh:

M.F.K. Fisher

Thanks for the write-up mamagotcha... I'm so glad you enjoyed your evening! You should have introduced yourself to Big Country; he's the least intimidating chef I've met!! I was thinking of taking my husband there for his birthday and you've convinced me!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

• 1 month later...

Was at Starker's for another lovely meal on Saturday night! Gosh... it's tough to be me!! :wink: Highlights for me were the amuse of broccoli and goat cheese soup and the persimmon ice cream for dessert!

Look forward to lunches being served starting December 1st KC egulleters!

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

Wow, I didn't know about all these great responses to my post (where's the "I'm blushing because of my inability to figure out the eGullet forums" smilie?)... thank you all for your kind words of welcome. You may have noticed me sticking my inexperienced-yet-eager nose into other conversations already...

UE asked: Can you describe the tuna tartare more? Was it in a roll?

Nope, just a pile in the middle of the plate, IIRC. Well, that doesn't sound very appetizing... it was garnished with the sesame seeds, and had the other ingredients artfully arranged on top and around it.

UE asked: The savory butternut squash pudding: was it soft or more like bread pudding? The description sounds wonderful, but I'm having a hard time imagining what it's like?

It was like a cake, with squares of the pecan bread studded throughout. I guess, more like bread pudding.

UE asked: Also, what's the "slice of chocolate truffle?" It sounds as if you just had a chocolate truffle (bon bon) sliced.

It was new to me... before, I'd had small balls when I'd had truffles, so this lovely dark slab of chocolate was tremendously lavish. It looked like it was sliced from a smallish loaf, perhaps? I shudder to imagine the entire confection, unsliced... enough chocolate to power a small city!

moosnsqrl said: I wouldn't be too afraid of Big Country - unless he's brandishing a chef's knife

I must say that Big Country sent me a very gracious note upon reading my amateur review of his work, and I'm looking forward to meeting him in person someday. I'll keep an eye out for the knife, though...

Katie Nell said: ... you've convinced me!

I'm so glad! And thanks for the lunches alert...

Again, sorry to be so slow on the ball. I'll try to figure this forum out soon and not be such a noob...

< / blush >

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

Wow, I didn't know about all these great responses to my post (where's the "I'm blushing because of my inability to figure out the eGullet forums" smilie?)... thank you all for your kind words of welcome. You may have noticed me sticking my inexperienced-yet-eager nose into other conversations already...

UE asked: Can you describe the tuna tartare more? Was it in a roll?

Nope, just a pile in the middle of the plate, IIRC. Well, that doesn't sound very appetizing... it was garnished with the sesame seeds, and had the other ingredients artfully arranged on top and around it.

UE asked: The savory butternut squash pudding: was it soft or more like bread pudding? The description sounds wonderful, but I'm having a hard time imagining what it's like?

It was like a cake, with squares of the pecan bread studded throughout. I guess, more like bread pudding.

UE asked: Also, what's the "slice of chocolate truffle?" It sounds as if you just had a chocolate truffle (bon bon) sliced.

It was new to me... before, I'd had small balls when I'd had truffles, so this lovely dark slab of chocolate was tremendously lavish. It looked like it was sliced from a smallish loaf, perhaps? I shudder to imagine the entire confection, unsliced... enough chocolate to power a small city!

Thanks for the explanations! I can't wait to try these! So, the truffle was more like a fudge?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account