• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prosorbet

Laurie Woolever

In the service of translating and editing Spanish recipes, have come across a sorbet recipe calling for something called "Prosorbet." Google turns up nothing of value; nor has the topic been addressed on egullet, as far as I can tell.

Anyone know what it is?

Thanks!

<b>Laurie Woolever</b>

Roughly 4 1/2 ounces are called for in a recipe that calls for roughly 30 ounces of dairy product, suagr and flavorings. I believe it must be a stabilizer also.

In this same recipe, which is for a yogurt sorbet, it also calls for a half-ounce of something called Yogurt fabri. Any ideas??

Thanks!

lw

Edited by Laurie Woolever (log)

<b>Laurie Woolever</b>

I believe prosorbet is a sorbet stabilizer comprised of mostly dry milks, but thats a strange recipe. You almost never exceed 6% stabilizer in a solution (6g:1000g) because the product gets sticky and gummy.

Roughly 4 1/2 ounces are called for in a recipe that calls for roughly 30 ounces of dairy product, suagr and flavorings.  I believe it must be a stabilizer also.

In this same recipe, which is for a yogurt sorbet, it also calls for a half-ounce of something called Yogurt fabri. Any ideas??

Thanks!

lw

my guess, not very educated:

yogurt fabbri is a yogurt powder

and the only proportion of stabilizer that would make sense is somehthing like a tuttopan

(which is a gelato stabilizer, its concentrations are 10% or higher)

did you check the bulli 2005 book?

wg

Some stabilizers also include dextrose to lower the freezing point. That would account for the higher than normal usage rate. Also, there is an Italian company called Fabbri that makes ingredients for gelati and sorbetti. You might contact them about both ingredients. Their US distributor is Belizio Fine Foods, 718-764-8311.

Roughly 4 1/2 ounces are called for in a recipe that calls for roughly 30 ounces of dairy product, suagr and flavorings.  I believe it must be a stabilizer also.

Thanks!

lw

. . . . .

did you check the bulli 2005 book?

wg

I did, and there's a recipe which calls for stabilizer Prosorbet Sosa and Procrema Sosa, so I'm lead to believe that it's a commercial brand of these kind of products. The ingredients are used in a yogurt ice-cream, which is one of the components of the recipe.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)