• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomfooleries (Northern Kansas City)

moosnsqrl

It'll take more than two JoCo Ladies To bring it to a Woman from Bonner!!! :shock:   Go WYCO!!!!!!    :laugh:

While I appreciate your vote of confidence, I fear it is misplaced. I am a rather recent transplant and don't actually live there, although it is my mailing address. I'll do my best not to let you down, though :wink:

Sorry Judy I thought that Dave had told me that you were in Bonner. I lived in WyCo for 3 years, although I have recently moved to the Plaza. So I guess that I don't have any room to talk.

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

Katie Nell, I'm sure us Northlanders could easily distract you with a nice thick slice of something sweet topped off with some kind of frozen cream! As for wench, we could just repel you by chucking peppers and eggplants at you!

I see how it is. She gets the lovin, I get the assault. Thank god for allergy meds and epipens.

And you obviously don't know us JoCo ladies and our handbags... we pack a mighty punch... what with our cell phones, lipsticks, powder, mp3 players, pepper spray for those times when we visit the war zone better known as the Plaza

Our dayplanners, miniscrapbook brag books...The list goes on and on. And on. (I will refrain from disabusing Katie Nell of her notion that I am a 'lady')

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

;hey guys, thanks for today, this has been most entertaining. Now, the next time I am up, should I dare venture up into the northern extremes to check out this Tomfooleries place. I do travel for food. Or will I be better off hanging out down in Westport. Exactly how good are the fried dill pickles?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

TOMFOOLERY:

tom-fool 1. n. a silly fool, esp. someone who acts with stupid thoughtlessness 2. adj. silly, senseless 3. v.i. to play the tomfool tom-fool-er-y (tomfu:leri:) pl. tomfooleries n. silly behavior

from their website.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

It'll take more than two JoCo Ladies To bring it to a Woman from Bonner!!! :shock:   Go WYCO!!!!!!    :laugh:

While I appreciate your vote of confidence, I fear it is misplaced. I am a rather recent transplant and don't actually live there, although it is my mailing address. I'll do my best not to let you down, though :wink:

You mean that was all for show with Karl that Saturday? :wink:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

You mean that was all for show with Karl that Saturday? :wink:

I live at a lake near the lovely town of Bonner Springs. I do not consider myself a denizen, although I am not offended by the association (not having grown up in this area, the "'dotte" stigma has no affect on us. I simply don't really identify with it (in fact, I typically just cite my residence as "Kansas City" with no state designation, since I pay taxes on both sides of the state line and split my waking hours between Kansas and Misery. Sandy, no, not for show. I DO live at the lake where Karl grew up, but not in BS, KS, strictly speaking. Hence my reluctance to take credit for Chef McC's claim about Bonner women. I just don't think I can live up to the rep, ya know? :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I pay taxes on both sides of the state line and split my waking hours between Kansas and Misery.  Sandy, no, not for show.  I DO live at the lake where Karl grew up, but not in BS, KS, strictly speaking.  Hence my reluctance to take credit for Chef McC's claim about Bonner women.  I just don't think I can live up to the rep, ya know? :wink:

... yeah, yeah... "Misery?" Honey, you just slipped up and now we know how you really feel. :hmmm: Just admit it, you're slummin' it with Zeemanb and me on this side... Nevertheless, we'll take what we can. How good are you at chuckin' peppers and eggplants?

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I live at a lake near the lovely town of Bonner Springs.

Weatherby Lake, IIRC -- that was how the conversation got started...

I do not consider myself a denizen, although I am not offended by the association (not having grown up in this area, the "'dotte" stigma has no affect on us.  I simply don't really identify with it (in fact, I typically just cite my residence as "Kansas City" with no state designation, since I pay taxes on both sides of the state line and split my waking hours between Kansas and Misery.

My good lady, I am going to have to ask you to use proper terminology should you ever leave the region, as I have spent a good deal of time and effort educating clueless Easterners on the finer points of local geographical terminology, to wit:

My standard rejoinder (as I may or may not have mentioned to you) to someone who, when I tell them where I was born and raised, says, "Oh, you're from Kansas?" is, "If I were from Kansas City, Kansas, I would have said so."

I have a copy of The Kansas City Star from my most recent visit to illustrate the point. In the Metropolitan section, on the local news briefs page, there is a header for each region: "Johnson County," "Clay County," "Platte County," "Kansas City, Kan.," "Kansas City."

Some of the more intelligent denizens get the point without my having to explain further. For the rest, I have to explain the history of the region's settlement and which jurisdictions got what name first: the Town of Kansas, Missouri--today's Kansas City--predates the creation of the Kansas Territory by four years, and the city of Wyandotte, Kansas, incorporated in 1858, did not adopt its present name until the 1880s, hoping to capitalize on the building boom on the other side of the state line.

Thus endeth the lesson for today. I'll let that little zinger thrown at the Show-Me State slide. If I didn't, I'd probably get a rejoinder with the less-flattering explanation of how Missouri got its nickname. :biggrin:

Judy, I hope you're not under some witness protection program... :laugh:

Unless you think 20 miles is "near," I assure you your are not RC... as a Northlander, I assure you, Weatherby is not considered "near" Bonner Springs.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Judy, I hope you're not under some witness protection program... :laugh:

Unless you think 20 miles is "near," I assure you your are not RC... as a Northlander, I assure you, Weatherby is not considered "near" Bonner Springs.

u.e.

I do not plead photographic (or audiophonic) memory in this case. And obviously, my geographic memory fails me as well--I forgot that Weatherby Lake is in Platte County.

Having thus reassured myself that cover hasn't been completely blown: No, she is a Kansan.

I was in the witness protection program but Sandy outed me a couple of weeks ago and now I'm on the lam. Hence my geographic ambiguity.

I am, by birth, a Kansan and as such embrace the long-standing border war between our great, free state and the not-so-great-or-free one to the east. Although I did live in KCMO when I was younger (we bought our first house there, because property taxes are lower due to the fact that the moral imperative to educate children is apparently non-existent there :raz:). I do currently live at a small lake (where the aforementioned Karl apparently grew up) definitely on the KS side but it is not in BS, KS. Beyond that, all you're getting is name, rank and serial number.

Regards from the spider hole,

moosnsqrl

PS: Now that we've sorted that out, we should probably get back to either Tomfooleries or something at least vaguely related to food so Ronnie doesn't have to join the ranks of those tracking me down for various reasons. :wink:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

PS:  Now that we've sorted that out, we should probably get back to either Tomfooleries or something at least vaguely related to food so Ronnie doesn't have to join the ranks of those tracking me down for various reasons. :wink:

I thought all of this was about tomfoolery! Okay, seriously... Ahem...

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

So how are the fried dill pickles at Tomfooleries? seriously. I love good fried dills. Or is there another place in the Greater KC MSA that I should consider checking out the next time I am up that has better fried dills.

So how are the fried dill pickles at Tomfooleries?  seriously.  I love good fried dills.  Or is there another place in the Greater KC MSA that I should consider checking out the next time I am up that has better fried dills.

Haven't tried them. That's the only place in town I've ever noticed them on the menu.

My all-time favorites are found at The Sidetrack in Ypsilanti, MI. Anyone traveling to the eG gathering up there should check them out. I still remember when and how they were introduced there. After quite a lot of skepticism, they were added to the regular menu.

M.F.K. Fisher

So how are the fried dill pickles at Tomfooleries?  seriously.  I love good fried dills.  Or is there another place in the Greater KC MSA that I should consider checking out the next time I am up that has better fried dills.

Haven't tried them. That's the only place in town I've ever noticed them on the menu.

My all-time favorites are found at The Sidetrack in Ypsilanti, MI. Anyone traveling to the eG gathering up there should check them out. I still remember when and how they were introduced there. After quite a lot of skepticism, they were added to the regular menu.

I've tried the fried pickles. Interesting. I can't really say that I care for them (I hate warm pickles - as in sandwiched in burgers). If you're one of those who thinks that anything deep-fried is good, then you might like them. As you can imagine, they're very salty... and served with a heaping side of mayonnaise (another thing I don't generally care for). Surprisgly, the fried pickles aren't soggy, as one would expect. Despite being crisp, the one time I had them, they were very greasy.

Perhaps instant :wub: for some, for me, it would have to be an acquired taste that might never take.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

They have to be crispy, the batter has to be airy and they are properly (IMHO) served with either ranch or bleu cheese, or both (separately).

And I'm not a fried food person.

M.F.K. Fisher

I had Fried Pickles for the first time in Mississippi. They were awsome!! It was at a little seaside restaurant outside of Gulf Shores. They served them with their fried platter items. I had them with fried crawfish tails and they were served with spicey creole remoulade. True they MUST be served right out of the fryer. I will say sitting on the Gulf Coast and eating fried pickles and a cold Abita Amber beer is a great way to spend an afternoon.

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

Oh man, Big Country, you have made my mouth start to watering. The creole remoulade is the secret. Way better than ranch dressing.

You can get fried pickles at the Blue Moose in Prairie Village. They're sliced into rounds first. Jazz at 39th and State Line also has fried pickles. They're quarted lengthwise first. Both are very good, in their own way. I love the ambience at Jazz - very dive-ish in the best sense, and the food is great. Spicy gumbo, Étouffée, or jumbalaya, wash it down with a strong bloody mary. Blue Moose is more of a generic upscale suburban bar and grill, with a menu full of pretentious sounding pizzas and sandwiches, most of which or good but not oustanding.

I was afraid this thread was going to degenerate into a virtual fistfight of some kind. I heard a radio commentater one time explain that the source of all this city's problems was the state line running through the center, which he then equated to the Berlin Wall. :blink: I suppose that would actually make Jazz a good neutral place for a meeting, seeing as how it's actually on State Line road.

Edited by dividend (log)

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

I was afraid this thread was going to degenerate into a virtual fistfight of some kind.  I heard a radio commentater one time explain that the source of all this city's problems was the state line running through the center, which he then equated to the Berlin Wall.  :blink:  I suppose that would actually make Jazz a good neutral place for a meeting, seeing as how it's actually on State Line road.

Not to worry, Dividend. We like to scuffle 'verbally' but the border is largely peaceful these days. I haven't personally witnessed an arsonist sortie in months. :biggrin: You just want to watch out for the redneck "ladies" from JoCo wielding their over-sized Kate Spade bags and driving minivans. Apart from that, you'll be fine :laugh:

M.F.K. Fisher

Fried dill pickles and spicy gumbo, sounds like Jazz needs to be checked out.

Naw. I drive a late model volvo. You can hide the bodies (or the overflowing boxes from the CSA) in the trunk better than you can in a minivan- cargo area's too exposed.

Best fried pickles I had were at some greasy honkin diner around the corner from the marriott in New Orleans. That may, however, be more a result of my famished state at 2 am and not the actual quality of the food.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

Not to worry, Dividend.  We like to scuffle 'verbally' but the border is largely peaceful these days.  I haven't personally witnessed an arsonist sortie in months.  :biggrin:  You just want to watch out for the redneck "ladies" from JoCo wielding their over-sized Kate Spade bags and driving minivans.  Apart from that, you'll be fine :laugh:

:shock:

Bushwhackers in reverse!

:shock:

--Sandy, wondering whether Jeff City will have to dust off "Order No. 9" in response

I was in the witness protection program but Sandy outed me a couple of weeks ago and now I'm on the lam.  Hence my geographic ambiguity.

I am, by birth, a Kansan and as such embrace the long-standing border war between our great, free state and the not-so-great-or-free one to the east.  Although I did live in KCMO when I was younger (we bought our first house there, because property taxes are lower due to the fact that the moral imperative to educate children is apparently non-existent there :raz:).  I do currently live at a small lake (where the aforementioned Karl apparently grew up) definitely on the KS side but it is not in BS, KS.  Beyond that, all you're getting is name, rank and serial number.

Regards from the spider hole,

moosnsqrl

PS:  Now that we've sorted that out, we should probably get back to either Tomfooleries or something at least vaguely related to food so Ronnie doesn't have to join the ranks of those tracking me down for various reasons. :wink:

I'm assuming for geographic purposes we're actually talkin' 'bout the lake formerly known

as the 7 Cities of Gold, now an official city?

As a Turner/ Roeland Park kind of guy, I have spent many a fine day at said Lake.

I would add that you can change your address, but you can't change your state stripes.

If you were born a Jayhawker, you'll die a Jayhawker. I was puzzled when I moved to various other places and realized not all states hate each other with such zeal. What do they all do with their excess energy?

Edited by bbqboy (log)