• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asparagus and Muscat Sec?

Freckles

Going to dinner tonight at a friend's place. She's serving an asparagus and shrimp risotto. I know I could take a sauvignon blanc to drink with this, but have a bottle of Muscat Sec from Stony in France. Would this pairing work, or should I stick with the sauvignon? thanks.

Bring both wines, and let us know which worked better. But don't put too much pressure on yourself. Both asparagus and shrimp are difficult food partners when it comes to wine.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Brad, you always have such great advice. I love the idea of taking both bottles.

The problem with those two items is that they are served in myriad ways, and seldom on their own, unlike beef or tomatoes.

So, take both, be happy, and have a great evening!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Funny. Didn't get this message before I left, but did decide to take both bottles.

I read in "The Wine Bible" that Muscat Sec is drunk a lot in Alsace with asparagus, so I took this bottle from Pays D'Oc from Chateau Stony. It was delicious! But, with the shrimp and asparagus risotto, my friend and I both preferred the Australian Semillon-Sauvignon blend. I didn't like the Australian as much on its own, but it didn't overpower the flavours of the shrimp and risotto while Muscat added a lot of fruity zing which was delicious but added a bit too much.

Anyway. There you have it. A novice's view of 2 wines with a good meal.

Thanks for your thoughts! :biggrin: - Freckles