• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Real Wasabi

richl2214

Are there any Japanese groceries or specialty stores that carry the rhizome? I want it specifically for home use. Not interested in eateries that serve it. I am trying to avoid mail order too.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Are there any Japanese groceries or specialty stores that carry the rhizome?  I want it specifically for home use.  Not interested in eateries that serve it.  I am trying to avoid mail order too.

The only place I've seen it is in a couple of Asian stores in Manhattan. It was quite expensive too, about $25 for 1/8 of an ounce.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Since you're in Nutley you may want to hit 280 and go to the East Hanover Asian Supermarket it's in the same plaza as home depot more or less... you really can't miss it. I would bet they have it there. Goodbye, goodluck!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Mitsuwa has it, for sure.  It is very expensive though.  It only comes in fairly large pieces that aren't less than $15-20.  If you can find some other use for it other than serving a meal or two of sushi, I'd love to hear it.

Grind some up and put it in mayonnaise. Amazing over roast beef sandwiches or a shrimp salad or crab cakes.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks!!!!

I will hit Mitsuwa

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species