• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

alternatives to a guitar?

sote23

Some nice tech savy person may provide a link to one of the earlier guitar threads. In the meantime you may want to do a search here. One of the threads shows how to make your own.

it isn't very difficult at all, a hinged assembly, frame and some bolt tightened piano wire, the frame can even be made of heavy acrylic or delron plastic, you could go one step further, get a router and "bore' channels in a sub frame to cut right thru, but i would keep it simple, eighty percent of this can be found at home Depot 10 % at a music supply house, the other 10% at a plastics Co.

Good luck on your search, you could save a couple of K.

Michael :wink:

Edited by dejaq (log)

it isn't very difficult at all, a hinged assembly, frame and some bolt tightened piano wire, the frame can even be made of heavy acrylic or delron plastic, you could go one step further, get a router and "bore' channels in a sub frame to cut right thru, but i would keep it simple, eight percent of this can be found at home Depot 10 % at a music supply house, the other 10% at a plastics Co.

Good luck on your search, you could save a couple of K.

Michael  :wink:

i know i guy that can build anything. he should be able to whip one up.

...eight percent of this can be found at home Depot 10 % at a music supply house, the other 10% at a plastics Co.

Good luck on your search...

I'd keep an eye out for that pesky 72% also. It's out there somewhere...

...eight percent of this can be found at home Depot 10 % at a music supply house, the other 10% at a plastics Co.

Good luck on your search...

I'd keep an eye out for that pesky 72% also. It's out there somewhere...

whoops, see what happens, at eleven and small change at night, even I can make a boo boo, thanks for catching that...

As a small scale chocolatier, I'd say that a guitar is one of the three most invaluable tools. Cutting sheets of ganache any other way will soon drive you to distraction.

The other two: air conditioning and antibacteria wipes!

Good luck with your DIY.

There was an e-gullet thread about guitars where a guy described how he built one himself. That's the good news. The bad news is - I can't find it. But it's worth searching for.

You should be able to find a new guitar for $1000-1200. Try Previn in Philadelphia (215-985-1996). They buy directly from a chap in Europe.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

There was an e-gullet thread about guitars where a guy described how he built one himself. That's the good news. The bad news is - I can't find it. But it's worth searching for.

You should be able to find a new guitar for $1000-1200. Try Previn in Philadelphia (215-985-1996). They buy directly from a chap in Europe.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Steve

Here it is!!!

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=844161

Good luck.

Cheers,

Steve

www.previninc.com gets you Previn in PA. On an old thread I noticed someone said they paid $1200 for it.

i got mine from previn, in philly, and it was cheaper but i think i paid $2100 instead of $2500 and up. still a super bargain but i don't think there are any out there for less than that. but i must agree, if you are doing serious work you must just take the plunge.

nkaplan@delposto.com

Good luck.

Cheers,

Steve

Here it is!!!

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=844161

thanks kerry