• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kulfi

Brad S

Zaafraani Kulfi

(Indian Ice-Cream)

Serves 8-10

There is no dessert as popular in the northern summer as Kulfi. This Indian version of ice cream is greatly addictive. In restaurants and street side vending carts, Kulfi is served with Falooda (Indian noodles) and a gentle dab of rose water. The frozen dense ice cream the silky playful noodles and the tingling floral bouquet from the rose water, are a perfect counter to the scorching afternoon sun. I also remember weddings where Kulfi frozen in individual terracotta containers was served. Nothing matches the wonders of eating Kulfi holding a cold terracotta container. There is something magical about it. But the magic is close enough when walking down a crowded New York street and finding a Kulfi vendor selling Kulfi in New York City on sticks like Popsicles. And the magic continues when you make it at home, with love and a sense of how you will share with your guests something sublime, Kulfi makes for a great and fulfilling dessert.

1/2 gallon half and half

2 cans evaporated whole milk reserve two tablespoons of th

is for use later

I to 1 1/2 cups sugar, or to taste

1/4 cup blanched chopped almonds

1/4 cup blanched pistachios, chopped finely

1/2 cup golden raisins

1/2 teaspoon saffron strands

8 to 10 cardamom pods, peeled, seeded and ground into fine powder

2 tablespoons ghee

1. In a heavy bottom pan pour 2 tablespoon water and then pour all the half and half. Bring to a boil over high flame. When the milk is boiling, lower heat to a very low simmer, and with a flat metal spatula, keep scraping the bottom of the pan as the milk cooks over a period of 3-4 hours.

2. As the milk is cooking and you are scraping the base of the pan, in another small pan, take the ghee and heat it over a low flame. Add the ground cardamom seed powder and the raisins and nuts. Sautee for close to 5 minutes till the nuts and raisins are brown but not burned. As and when the content of the pan are sticking to the bottom, you can pour some boiling half and half into the pan to add moisture.

3. The milk will start forming dry layers around the rim of the pan. Scrape these back into the milk and continue to cook, making sure no milk is sticking at the base. You really want to reduce the milk by as much as you can. Place a custard bowl into the freezer for using to test the thickness later.

4. After two hours of cooking, add the evaporated milk to the pan and cook for another hour or more. Make sure you keep scraping the pan to ensure that the milk is not sticking and burning. The milk should be reduced by no less than half of what you began with.

5. Add 1 cup sugar into the pan. Turn the fire off. Test sugar by pouring some of the custard into the bowl from the freezer. Place the bowl with the custard back in the freezer and take it out after 5 minutes. Taste for sugar and add more if you feel the need.

6. In a small frying pan, sauté the saffron strands on a very low flame for a minute or two. Till they darken but aren't burned. Once ready, pour them into a mortar and pestle. Grind into a fine powder.

7. To this fine powder, add the two tablespoons of evaporated milk and continue to blend it in the mortar and pestle. You will see how beautifully the color bleeds into the cream and also smell the intense aroma of saffron. Pour this into the custard

8. Transfer into Kulfi Containers or into a bread pan or even ice trays. You can also set the Kulfi in Popsicle molds to serve it on sticks. Freeze until solid and serve as you would ice cream.

Incredible!

Thank you Suvir, it's amazing the amount of time you need to reduce the 1/2&1/2. Could you use heavy cream in lew of the 1/2 & 1/2?

The idea of the noodles is quite intriging

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Suvir;I think that kulfi made with reduced heavy cream would have an overly fatty tasteand mouth feel.Reduced,it might become very a thick ,cloying paste.I don't like ice creams made solely with heavy cream for the same reason-they leave a greasy feel in my mouth...

• 5 months later...

Suvir,

How would you incorporate Mango to make a Mango Kulfi? Can an ice cream maker be used to cut down on the time a little bit? I'm planning on making some for the inlaws as an after dinner dessert tomorrow.

Your suggestions are always appreciated.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Suvir,

How would you incorporate Mango to make a Mango Kulfi? Can an ice cream maker be used to cut down on the time a little bit? I'm planning on making some for the inlaws as an after dinner dessert tomorrow.

Your suggestions are always appreciated.

FM

You could add the mango in puree or chunks.

In my home, my paternal family used both chunks and puree, my maternal grandma used chunks in India. puree in the US.

If you are using puree, add it towards the end of the cooking process. Cook untill the excess liquid in the puree has been evaporated.

Ratna mango puree is an excellent puree to use.

I have never used an ice cream maker to make a kulfi. I know you can make it in the blender. My grandmother did that often.. and I have that recipe in my cookbook... But if you want it sooner, please email me at chef@suvir.com. I will be happy to send it your way. :smile:

I did make the Kulfi based on Suvir's recipe and incorporated some fresh pureed mango in there. I did however use an ice cream maker (sorry Suvir) before freezing it . It came out perfect with great flavor and texture. My father-in-law who normally skips dessert enjoyed it very much (He asked for a bowl as soon as I metioned Mango and ice cream together :smile:).

Maybe next time I will try it with out the ice cream maker, I'm sure it will come out with a different texture, maybe more dense and not as scoopable.

Thanks again Suvir

FM

edit spelling

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I did make the Kulfi based on Suvir's recipe and incorporated some fresh pureed mango in there. I did however use an ice cream maker (sorry Suvir)  before freezing it . It came out perfect with great flavor and texture. My father-in-law who normally skips dessert enjoyed it very much (He asked for a bowl as soon as I metioned Mango and ice cream together :smile:).

Maybe next time I will try it with out the ice cream maker, I'm sure it will come out with a different texture, maybe more dense and not as scoopable.

Thanks again Suvir

FM

edit spelling

Why be sorry. If it works, even better. I am excited that it worked and tasted great. Did you take pictures? I would love to see what it looks like.

What was the texture like? Was it like ice cream or still quite dense?

Did you puree the fruit with the other stuff or did you chope the fruit and fold it in?

I am glad your father-in-law liked it. Makes me smile. Nothing like having non belivers find some credibility in what they normally are not able to enjoy. Best affirmation one can get.

Why be sorry. If it works, even better. I am excited that it worked and tasted great. Did you take pictures? I would love to see what it looks like.

What was the texture like? Was it like ice cream or still quite dense?

Did you puree the fruit with the other stuff or did you chope the fruit and fold it in?

I am glad your father-in-law liked it. Makes me smile. Nothing like having non belivers find some credibility in what they normally are not able to enjoy. Best affirmation one can get.

I have not taken pictures yet Suvir but I still have more Kulfi in the freezer for my own enjoyment :smile:. I will plate and take a picture as soon as I get a chance (hopefully tonight after work).

the texture was certainly different than ice cream, it was much denser and a little "brittle" however it did scoop nicely and tasted rich.

As for the fruit I actually pureed it with about a quarter of cup water and some sugar then folded it into the cooled dairy mixture. I was not sure if I should fold it in while the dairy was hot fearing it might curdle (I had a similar bad experience with a strawberry ice cream I was trying out :shock:). After folding the fruit in, the whole mixture went into the fridge overnight for the flavors to smooth and mingle. The stuff was put in the ice cream maker the next morning then transferred to the freezer in a thick plastic container.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

As for the fruit I actually pureed it with about a quarter of cup water and some sugar then folded it into the cooled dairy mixture. I was not sure if I should fold it in while the dairy was hot fearing it might curdle (I had a similar bad experience with a strawberry ice cream I was trying out  :shock:). After folding the fruit in, the whole mixture went into the fridge overnight for the flavors to smooth and mingle. The stuff was put in the ice cream maker the next morning then transferred to the freezer in a thick plastic container.

FM

I would puree it using just the kulfi base. No water. It is this water that could make crystals in your kulfi.

And did you really need sugar? Was it not to sweet? I can imagine the mangoes really not being too sweet at this time of the year... But who knows.. I love sweet. There is never too much sugar for me.

Would love to see the picture of the kulfi.

I often serve Kulfis with chilled fruits soups.

Passion fruit soup or citrus soup. At Diwan, Hemant makes the citrus soup from my recipe and it is quite popular.

Mangoes in my experience do not curdle milk. I have never had the problem. But always better to err on the safer side.

Pureeing The Mango with the Kulfi base makes a lot of sense. I did need to add sugar to the fruit because it was not sweet enough since it is not in season. I am thinking of using canned Mango puree next time.

hmmm... Passion Fruit soup sounds very intriguing. I've never made a chilled fruit soup before. It's probably time to give it a try. Hopefully the next time I find some fresh Passion Fruit.

FM

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog