• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An authentic Chicago Style Dog

John

Damn, I was really in the mood for one of those wet Italian beef sandwiches today, but it seems from their answering machine, that they're closed Tuesdays, let alone July 4th. :sad:

Rachel,

My deepest apologies for not being open for you on the July 4th, but that is a very special day for me and my family.

We are open 6 days a week. The hours will be expanding to accommodate out late night foodies.

Our smoke shack is still having some air flow issues but we have mustered up enough strength to offer, BBQ Brisket, BBQ pulled pork and of course our famous Mesquite smoked prime rib sandwiches.

Of course, we will always have our Italian Beef and "Authentic" Vienna Beef Chicago style hot dogs.

We thank you all for your support and hope to see you soon.

Jack. (J)

I have a request if I may. Friday evening we had the pleasure of a young couple who came in to try our foods. She being a cute blonde and he with brown hair and a sort of brush type hair cut. We found an item by their table after they left. If they are reading this could you call us at 908-587-0105 or email me at chicagobeef@jsbeef.com.

Again... Thank you all.

I kinda wish J's sliced their tomatoes like Fluky's.  I find them too hard to eat as wedges on the dog.

Randi...

we have purchased a tomato wedger so that the wedges are uniform no matter who does the slicing. The wedges are now of a size that is more palatable and hope you come in and try our dog.

J

Rachel,

My deepest apologies for not being open for you on the July 4th, but that is a very special day for me and my family.

We too were closed on the July 4th. Hopefully we'll have an eating contest next year!!

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I kinda wish J's sliced their tomatoes like Fluky's.  I find them too hard to eat as wedges on the dog.

Randi...

we have purchased a tomato wedger so that the wedges are uniform no matter who does the slicing. The wedges are now of a size that is more palatable and hope you come in and try our dog.

J

Jack, I tried it (when the tomatoes were big) - and it was awesome. I've been having too much fun trying your other menu items. So far the Italian beef is my favorite (that gravy is amazing). The brisket is great too. Also, as you know, I really love your burgers. Are you ok cooking them to medium rare? I requested that last time and it was well done, so I wasn't sure of your policy.

Next I am going to try the prime rib.

See you soon, I'm sure.

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Randi...

J

Jack, I tried it (when the tomatoes were big) - and it was awesome. I've been having too much fun trying your other menu items. So far the Italian beef is my favorite (that gravy is amazing). The brisket is great too. Also, as you know, I really love your burgers. Are you ok cooking them to medium rare? I requested that last time and it was well done, so I wasn't sure of your policy.

Next I am going to try the prime rib.

See you soon, I'm sure.

Med/rare I am fine with. We serve only the highest quality Black Angus burgers 81/19 fine grind from a very respected purveyor.

Didn't you request it that way?

By the way... prime rib is fresh out of the smoker tonight. HmmmHmmm good!

Rachel,

We too were closed on the July 4th. Hopefully we'll have an eating contest next year!!

My wife and I stopped by to visit you on the 4th. Went to Cuban Pete's on Bloomfield ave(Bloomfield NJ) for dinner.

Didn't bring my camera to share with you all but will start doing so.

Wonderful fresh fruit sangria bar!

I had their House special cuban sandwich. Ate it too fast to give a respectable review(!!!) and the bride had a chicken salad with chimmichurri ...quite nice. We will go again and post pics.

J.

My wife and I stopped by to visit you on the 4th. Went to Cuban Pete's on Bloomfield ave(Bloomfield NJ) for dinner.

Didn't bring my camera to share with you all but will start doing so.

Wonderful fresh fruit sangria bar!

I had their House special cuban sandwich. Ate it too fast to give a respectable review(!!!) and the bride had a chicken salad with chimmichurri ...quite nice. We will go again and post pics.

J,

So Sorry to have missed you!! I'm trying to get over to Linden soon for another Italian Beef AND to try some of your "Q". Maybe I'll bring a little AMAZING care package :wink:

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Med/rare I am fine with. We serve only the highest quality Black Angus burgers 81/19 fine grind from a very respected purveyor.

Didn't you request it that way?

By the way... prime rib is fresh out of the smoker tonight. HmmmHmmm good!

OK, OK, prime rib next. I'm convinced!

And yes, I ordered it medium rare and my coworker ordered medium, and they were both well done. I think the gal who took our order got confused.

I wanted to tell you, I really enjoyed the potato bun with the burger (the first time I got it). I am going to request those from now on :)

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Made the trek to Linden today (actually, had to pick up dear wife at Newark airport) for J's Beef. Met the owner, Jack, and had a nice chat about the comparative merits of a couple of Chicago Italian Beef purveyors.

Anyhow, to cut to the chase, I had intended on having an Italian Beef Sandwich (wet, of course) and then following that with a Chicago Hot Dog (with sport peppers, of course). I didn't follow through, since the Italian Beef was too much to follow with more.

This was an awesome sandwich, almost swimming in the sauce in the bottom of the serving dish. You should really ask for a fork when you get it wet, since the roll almost falls apart in your hands.

I place this sandwich on a par with Katz Deli for a combination of flavor and tenderness, but far above for value, since the sandwich is less than five bucks, compared to the 13 for a Katz pastrami on rye.

Jack also let me have a taste of his mesquite smoked brisket and his pulled pork, but, for my money, the italian beef will keep me coming back again and again, even though I am more than 100 miles away.

I guess that I'll just have to send the wife out of town more often out of EWR. And, yes, I'll have the hot dog, too!

:biggrin:

Edited by georgeb (log)

"I place this sandwich on a par with Katz Deli for a combination of flavor and tenderness, but far above for value, since the sandwich is less than five bucks, compared to the 13 for a Katz pastrami on rye."

Let me begin by saying, I love Jack, I love that he had the chuzpah to bring the authentic Chicago experience to New Jersey, and I love his food. I usually leave personal opinions alone, because they are, well, just an opinion, but I couldn't go to sleep tonight without responding to this statement.

KATZ' PASTRAMI SANDWICH IS IN A LEAGUE OF ITS OWN!! Nothing even comes close. Worth every cent of the 13 bucks. I would even argue this point if it involved my own product. This of course is just my personal opinion.

**jumps off soap box**

Eric

Edited by ejebud (log)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Sorry, Eric, didn't mean to blaspheme or anything, just wanted to get across how good the sandwich at J's Beef was.

Katz pastrami may be worth the $13, but it is starting to grate on me that it costs me $20 to have a sandwich, fries and a soda, tip the cutter and serve myself.

I felt quite a bit happier dropping $8.05 and a couple of dollars for the counter girls at J's.

That said, next time I'm on the LES, I'll be stopping at Katz. The cost of loving good pastrami, I guess.

:smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Chris was dying to try a Chicago italian beef sandwich, so we went down to J's a few weeks ago. We each ordered an italian beef and a authentic chicago doggie, and both of us were pleasantly surprised at how well the flavors of the many toppings on the chicago style doggie mixed together. Vienna all-beef dogs and the poppy seed bun are integral to the mix. Very good! Chris wasn't as into the italian beef (he found the beef a bit too dry- he actually compared it to Katz's pastrami being more juicy), but I enjoyed the spicy flavor of the meat.

After this visit, Chris was dying to know how the Vienna dog stacks up minus all the "Chicago style" toppings, so we visited a second time. He ordered a charred doggie plain, and just added ketchup, as well as a chicago style dog. This time, I ordered the garlic kielbasa- I thought the kielbasa was TREMENDOUS and would order it again. Chris's final opinion was that he highly enjoyed the chicago doggie in its element (with all the chicago style toppings), but for a traditional hot dog, he would rather have a Best, Hebrew National or Sabrett.

Regardless, J has a great product, is very passionate about what he is selling, and we will definitely return in the future.

Chris was dying to try a Chicago italian beef sandwich, so we went down to J's a few weeks ago. We each ordered an italian beef and a authentic chicago doggie, and both of us were pleasantly surprised at how well the flavors of the many toppings on the chicago style doggie mixed together. Vienna all-beef dogs and the poppy seed bun are integral to the mix. Very good! Chris wasn't as into the italian beef (he found the beef a bit too dry- he actually compared it to Katz's pastrami being more juicy), but I enjoyed the spicy flavor of the meat.

After this visit, Chris was dying to know how the Vienna dog stacks up minus all the "Chicago style" toppings, so we visited a second time. He ordered a charred doggie plain, and just added ketchup, as well as a chicago style dog. This time, I ordered the garlic kielbasa- I thought the kielbasa was TREMENDOUS and would order it again. Chris's final opinion was that he highly enjoyed the chicago doggie in its element (with all the chicago style toppings), but for a traditional hot dog, he would rather have a Best, Hebrew National or Sabrett.

Regardless, J has a great product, is very passionate about what he is selling, and we will definitely return in the future.

Thanks for the compliments. Our goal is to to make you happy with our foods.

Did Chris by chance order a "dry" Italian Beef? We offer our customers Gravy in a solo cup(as a side) if they find their beef is too dry.

Personally... the beef double wet/ with peppers is the way to go!

Thanks again. Hope to see you again soon.

J.

Jack, I meant to mention this to you yesterday when we were there for lunch -

When I first saw your sign, I thought you were a butcher shop - not a restaurant. The sign touts the beef - and I wasn't picturing sandwiches, etc. Then when I read this thread, I realized it was a restaurant.

Has anyone else mentioned this to you? I wonder if it could be hurting business somewhat, since people might not realize the type of place J's Beef really is.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to let everyone know that J's reopened last Wednesday. He was closed for over a week due to the death of his father. Many people wrongly concluded that he was closed for good. Was there yesterday for a Chicago style dog. The more I have them, the more I like them. They are addictive. Everything blends together well. Last time I was there, I had a wet Italian Beef sandwich. Excellent. Hot and peppery. I also sampled the brisket, which was great as well. I'll have that next time.

Jack, my condolences on the loss of your father, and sorry that we missed you Saturday for the 3rd Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour. Our group will be back next year, and some of us (at least the Jersey contingent) will be back many times before then.

John the hot dog guy

• 5 months later...

J's Beef has been sold. Jack, the owner sold the store at 902 W. St. Georges Ave. in Linden and will be moving to the Seaside Boardwalk. He will have a limited menu that will include the Chicago dog, but with a natural casing dog rather than skinless. The Linden location has been sold to Father & Son. If all goes according to schedule, Father & Son will be in the building to start construction around April 1st. Glad to hear of Father & Son's comeback, but sorry to lose J's Beef. It was the only place to get an authentic Chicago Style Hot Dog. Now we'll have to travel to Seaside

John the hot dog guy

Shake Shack opens this Wednesday, March 21st. Eater.com has photos of training sessions from this past week! It's officially Spring...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Shake Shack makes a phenomenal burger too. Can't wait to go back soon.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Actually, if you live in North Jersey, you can go into NYC and get a Chicago style dog @ Danny Meyer's Shake Shack in Madison Park @ 23rd street. It should be opening for the season in a few weeks.

I've been to the Shake Shack a few years ago to sample a Chicago style dog. In my opinion it does not compare to what you get at J's Beef. I had one Chicago dog and one plain with just mustard. Both were served cold. I've heard that they don't always use Vienna Beef hot dogs which are what over 80% of the hot dog stands in Chicago use. In addition, they put lettuce and cucumbers on their dog. The traditional Chicago places use Vienna Beef franks, yellow mustard, neon green relish, chopped onions, dill pickle slices, tomato wedges, sports peppers, and celery salt put in a poppy seed bun. Jack from J's told me once that he went to Shake Shack and didn't consider it to be an authentic Chicago Hot Dog.

John the hot dog guy