• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An authentic Chicago Style Dog

John

An excellent drink selection, I think they serve every flavor of Boylan's.

He also has the very excellent Boylan's Cane Cola, which blows regular Coke and Pepsi out of the water (except for when its Passover)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks for the great pictures, Jason. As I said earlier, I had one Chicago dog and one dog w/just mustard so I could taste the Vienna brand frank. It accounts for 80% of the dogs sold in Chicago. Good, but mild for a beef dog. Or at least mild compared to the beef dogs (Best, Usinger, Sabrett, Nathan's, Boars Head, Hebrew National) that I'm used to and eat most of the time. And I prefer brown mustard to yellow.

John the hot dog guy

but yes, i was being a bit conservative with 5.  but the 3 day limit is pretty tight, you must admit.  over the next few weeks, we'll be seeing, i'm thinking, me, jason and rachel perlow, holly, hitmanoo, curlz, nuge, dbroc, ejebud and beth, all heading down.  damn, that's way over 5 already. :biggrin:

by the way, the website.

I'll go but only after I confirm that I can get a dog on a bun without poppy seeds. I'm allergic and when I lived in Chicago, Evanston actually, this was a big problem with eating hot dogs. Also, I agree with John that this dog is milder than the all beef dogs we're used to here on the East Coast.

BTW, as a Wilco fan I think its great that there's someone one eG with the name viaChgo.

I'll go but only after I confirm that I can get a dog on a bun without poppy seeds. I'm allergic and when I lived in Chicago, Evanston actually, this was a big problem with eating hot dogs. Also, I agree with John that this dog is milder than the all beef dogs we're used to here on the East Coast.

I don't see why you couldn't get it on the same roll he serves the Kielbasy on. That one doesn't have seeds, as you can see in the picture.

Excellent Kielbasy, by the way.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Anyone know if they are open on Monday? They are about 5 minutes from where I work! And in fact, I've seen the place, but only in passing.

I am anxious to go - I have had Chicago hot dogs (in, of all places, Rockport, MA) and really liked them. After that I even bought the fixins to make them that way at home. That was about 10 years ago, and I am ready to experience them again!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

They are open Monday. I'm not sure of their hours, but I know they're closed Sunday only and open in the evening at least until 8 and probably later.

John the hot dog guy

Oh man, I am dying here!!!!!

Growing up on the south side of Chicago, David Berg would be my first choice of dog, but Vienna will suffice. I do admit I never was a fan of so much stuff on mine. Maybe I was just destined to move to Jersey :biggrin:

But Italian Beef. Combos. :laugh:

Man.

It's been almost twenty years since I worked (for several years) at a southside 'deli' (Morry's) and man, I STILL get cravings for the sandwhiches. A dipped combo . . .

I better yahoo that address and stick it in the car. I'm not sure I'm going to last long here. . .

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

I think I'm going to figure out a way to be in Linden for lunch sometime this week...several times. I was a resident of the Windy City for almost 10 years, and a good Chicago 'dog is a thing of beauty. The neon was never my favorite thing, but it does hold a certain nostalgic place in my heart.

It's been just long enough since I lived there to have almost forgotten about the Beef and Sausage Combo.

Almost.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

My friend and I picked up lunch here today. We each got a Chicago dog (steamed) and and Italian Beef sandwich (semi-wet with some gravy on the side). And Boylan colas.

Jack couldn't have been nicer. And the food was everything we hoped it would be. I especially liked the gravy for the beef. I sipped the remaining bit, like a tasty soup!

The beef is really spicy - very peppery. Yum. I didn't think it needed the hot giardinera. But my friend put it on his and raved about it.

The hot dog was great - but hard to eat with the huge wedges of tomato, the pickle spear, etc. Next time I think I would cut up the toppings so I can get more even bites with all the flavors.

Can't wait til the "Smokeshack" is up and running!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all ,

I visited Js Beef on Thurs on the recomendation of our own John Fox . I was visiting Father and Son for one last time as it closed today for good .

On the return trip I tried two Chicago dogs and they were just like I remembered when I was out in the Windy City ten years ago .

I did not have the chili dogs that J recomended because I had two at Father and Son .

I will definetly be making a return trip down the road and we may even add this place to our Jersey Hot Dog Tour on Sat. Sept 16th .

J also had the smoker going , getting ready for the dinners , so he has everything rolling in his place.

Worth a visit from my end

Benzee

We stopped here for lunch again today. I tried the black angus burger - damn...it was GREAT! Highly recommended.

My friend got the kielbasi chicago-style. Also very good.

Jack gave us a taste of the brisket - and if we hadn't already ordered, I would have gotten that instead (but I was happy to try the burger and find out it's the best in the area, IMO).

Back to the brisket - it was soooo good. Vinegar-y, not tomato-y. Tender. Smoky. Beefy. Great flavor! He said he'll have the bbq pulled pork, the brisket and (I think) the prime rib on the menu starting tomorrow.

We love this place :)

I'm really looking forward to going back to J's to try his Q. If he's as serious about his smoking as he is his hot dogs and beef sandwiches, it will probably be some pretty good Q.

In the meantime, I'm anxious to try a real Chicago hot dog this week (in Chicago) and see how it stacks up against J's!

In my opinion, J's dog stacks up quite nicely to traditional Vienna Beef places like U Lucky Dawg (Fluky's)

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89912

I also liked his Italian Beef better than the one I had at Buona Beef.

Visual comparison:

gallery_2_3185_17499.jpg

gallery_2_3185_38866.jpg

U Lucky Dawg (Fluky's)

gallery_2_3015_282427.jpg

J's Beef Chicago Dog

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

What is a "sport pepper"?

a little green somewhat hot pickled pepper found seemingly only in chicago at bars and on hot dogs:

http://images.google.com/images?q=chicago%...lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

You forgot to mention "addictive." Having moved to NJ recently, after living a lifetime in Chicago, I find myself having to mail-order sport peppers and giardiniera to get the taste I crave. Now you tell me I can get Vienna Dogs here with "the works." Oh, joy!

One thing didn't look authentic, though. There were covers on the condiments. :biggrin:

Edited by merrybaker (log)

I kinda wish J's sliced their tomatoes like Fluky's. I find them too hard to eat as wedges on the dog.

I kinda wish J's sliced their tomatoes like Fluky's.  I find them too hard to eat as wedges on the dog.

i was going to say that i can't believe that a slice of tomato (which may or may not be very good to begin with) that size is going to provide an acceptable balance. i would immediately remove them from that hot dog.