• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

small-scale cheesemakers in Norway

My wife and I will be visiting Norway for 10 days in June and would like to visit at least one small-scale cheesemaker while we are there. Does anyone know of any near Oslo, Bergen, or Kristiansand?

I found the website for the Association of Norwegian small-scale cheesemakers (Norsk Gardsost) but unfortunately do not read Norwegian, so it is of little use to me.

Any other suggestions for local food experiences are also welcome.

Thanks in advance.

edited to say: too bad there's no way to edit the descriptions of posts

Edited by iain (log)

The link "Produsenter" takes you to this page, which lists the various farms, by county. The first one being BUSKERUD, which I believe is near Oslo. Unfortunately, I do not know which of the other counties might be near Bergen or Kristiansand.

The web site is incidentally written in "New Norwegian" which uses a spelling that reflects the local accents of people living in the more rural areas of the country. This might be troublesome for any web-based, automated translation attempts.

But the words in the table's column means

Etternamn: Surname

Fornamn: Given name

Adresse: Address

Postadresse: Mailing address (that is, zip code and town/area -- this would be what you should try to look up to determine location)

Telefon: Phone number

Drift: What cheese they produce (Ku-cow; Geit-Goat; Brunost-Brown cheese (goat cheese style, but may also be made from cow's milk); Blåmuggost-Blue mold cheese; Kvitost-White cheese. There's also the very smelly cheese Pultost, which I think means something like "Desk cheese" and the ultinate in smelly cheese: Gamalost-Old cheese. Oh, and Smør-Butter.

Mattilsyn: Government body that I assume oversees quality control etc. Autorisasjon means authorization, but I do not know if this means they have been authorized, or if they are waiting to be. Godkjenning literally means good-recognized which seems to indicate something that has been authorized also. Sorry.

Rå / past: Raw / Pasturized.

Heimeside: Homepage, web site.

I live in Bergen, and Ill be happy to find the best cheesemaker for visiting around here.

MUILWIJK Birgitta og Albert Myrdal gård 5690 LUNDEGREND 53 43 22 93 Geit, ku, gouda Autorisasjon Past.

These are dutch, but they make some of the best cheese in the vicinity of Bergen. Ill ask around and get back to you.

Great...thanks! Looking forward to hearing what you find. One thing I've found in planning this trip is that Norwegians are very friendly and helpful. We've actually turned down offers to stay for free with complete strangers!

I live in Bergen, and Ill be happy to find the best cheesemaker for visiting around here.

MUILWIJK Birgitta og Albert Myrdal gård 5690 LUNDEGREND 53 43 22 93 Geit, ku, gouda Autorisasjon Past.

These are dutch, but they make some of the best cheese in the vicinity of Bergen. Ill ask around and get back to you.