• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Phoenicia Specialty Foods

FoodMan

In this week's food section the following article immediatly caught my attention:

Pampering the international palate by Dai Huynh

This quote pretty much sums it up

The new Phoenicia is a multimillion-dollar supermarket with a produce section, deli, butcher shop, bakery and wine-and-cheese department. Just imagine a cross between Costco and Central Market, where you can buy a 10-gallon plastic jug of Greek kalamata olives — or a 16-ounce jar.

I've been to Phoenicia a couple of times years ago and never was too impressed. It was cramped, with barely room to move around and a bit out of my way. Seems like that has changed, well except for the location I guess. I am looking forward to checking this out now. That olive bar alone promisses to be worth the trip. Hopefully I can stop by at some point next week and report back. I would love to check out their butcher department as well for good lamb or chicken.

Has anyone been recently? Any comments?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

In this week's food section the following article immediatly caught my attention:

Pampering the international palate by Dai Huynh

This quote pretty much sums it up

The new Phoenicia is a multimillion-dollar supermarket with a produce section, deli, butcher shop, bakery and wine-and-cheese department. Just imagine a cross between Costco and Central Market, where you can buy a 10-gallon plastic jug of Greek kalamata olives — or a 16-ounce jar.

I've been to Phoenicia a couple of times years ago and never was too impressed. It was cramped, with barely room to move around and a bit out of my way. Seems like that has changed, well except for the location I guess. I am looking forward to checking this out now. That olive bar alone promisses to be worth the trip. Hopefully I can stop by at some point next week and report back. I would love to check out their butcher department as well for good lamb or chicken.

Has anyone been recently? Any comments?

Three weeks ago when I was in Houston for business, one of my colleagues told me about the new Phoenicia. Since I liked the foodstuffs at their previous store I high-tailed it over there for provisions prior to leaving town.

The new store is almost overly roomy. But you cannot beat the selection of mediterranean foods. From Spanish pine nuts (far superior to the Chinese versions) to canned fishes (including Baltic sprats) to pickled everything it is a great market for staples.

Since I was travelling, I didn't really investigate the bakery, deli, or dairy in any great detail. I've heard the head of the bakery has some substantial credentials but that is about the extent of what I know.

In general, if you were cramped at the old store, this one will make you happier. Definitely worth a trip.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Awsome! canned fishes of all varieties are always in demand in my house. I cannot wait to give it a shot. Thanks for the report.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I liked the crampiness of the old place. And I was worried that the higher maintenance costs at the new location would force them to increase their prices. No mre Sam's Club for the Middle East. But I was very pleased with the place. It really is almost overly spacious.

I noticed that you can get a (non-pork) merguez type North African sausage here now and that is very cool.

On my recent trip, I bought a doumbek for about $30 and no food. But I am going there this week-end to stock up on stuff.

Phoenicia is dead. Long live Phoenicia!

Jay-

Merguez is made with lamb traditionally since pork is not consumed in North African muslim countries, is that what theirs has?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a fantastic lunch at the deli across the street this weekend; everthing that walked by looked awesome and by the time I got my shawarma wrap I was little worried I hadn't ordered right, but it was great. My wife had a mortadella, feta, and pickle sandwich and the combo worked perfectly. I seriously want to take like a week off and eat my way through Houston, I'm so far behind now on places I want to try out.

The store itself is something to see, though it seems much bigger on the outside than it is when you walk in. My parents who were with us actually know one of the chefs that works there and we got to talking to him. He pointed out a can of Syrian white truffles(?!) which, while he said were of course not comparable to Piemonte's kind, made for a good substitute by themselves in the dish.

The seafood and meat counter was especially impressive; quartered lamb was being offered, and they had a pile of shimmering, appetizing fresh sardines.

Had a fantastic  lunch at the deli across the street this weekend; everthing that walked by looked awesome and by the time I got my shawarma wrap I was little worried I hadn't ordered right, but it was great.  My wife had a mortadella, feta, and pickle sandwich and the combo worked perfectly.  I seriously want to take like a week off and eat my way through Houston, I'm so far behind now on places I want to try out. 

The store itself is something to see, though it seems much bigger on the outside than it is when you walk in.  My parents who were with us actually know one of the chefs that works there and we got to talking to him.  He pointed out a can of Syrian white truffles(?!) which, while he said were of course not comparable to Piemonte's kind, made for a good substitute by themselves in the dish.

The seafood and meat counter was especially impressive; quartered lamb was being offered, and they had a pile of shimmering, appetizing fresh sardines.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog