• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home made vibrating table

Desiderio

I've got a big vibrating lap machine in my garage that hasn't been used for several years. I wonder if it would work. Although it probably is much too powerful.

However, you might be able to use one of

these little ones. mine is a Covington 24 inch (round).

I used it for polishing big slabs of agate, petrified wood, split geodes and obsidian that I used for bases for some of my glass art pieces.

Often you can find used lapidary equipment at swap meets very cheap. I saw one that sold on ebay a few months ago for $45.00.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've got a big vibrating lap machine in my garage that hasn't been used for several years.  I wonder if it would work.  Although it probably is much too powerful. 

However, you might be able to use one of

these little ones. mine is a Covington 24 inch (round). 

I used it for polishing big slabs of agate, petrified wood, split geodes and obsidian that I used for bases for some of my glass art pieces. 

Often you can find used lapidary equipment at swap meets very cheap.  I saw one that sold on ebay a few months ago for $45.00.

can you tell me what you don't do? i'm constantly amazed at the range of skills you have! i'm going to have to drive down to socal and do an apprenticeship under you!

Hmmmm... I spend a lot of time pounding brownie batter on the counter trying to get out air bubbles. Maybe some form of vibrating table might be more suitable for the job.

Hey, it works for concrete, so why not?

So I got one of those little dental vibrating table out of ebay and they look exactley like the base of those candy mold shakers out of ebay that cost almost 200$ .I am wondering if any of you have an idea how to place a tray on top of that and make my own,the table is only 4 inch of diameter so I do need to get something to built a larger surface I belieave.

Well if you have any idea let me know.

Thank you much.

Vanessa

I went to Lowes & in the area that has PVC plastic for plumbing there is a piece that is about 1/2 " high. It is probably an adoptor for toilets, threaded on the inside with a diameter that just fits over the table head.It cost about $2. Just glue it to the bottom of a tray. Works great.

I would post a picture but not sure how to get into the databse. Can someone explain the process.

Mark

Edited by mrose (log)

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I went to Lowes & in the area that has PVC plastic for plumbing there is a piece that is about 1/2 " high.  It is probably an adoptor for toilets, threaded on the inside with a diameter that just fits over the table head.It cost about $2. Just glue it to the bottom of a tray. Works great.

I would post a picture but not sure how to get into the databse. Can someone explain the process.

Mark

Wow, Thank you Mark, Thats a great idea/suggestion.I will go and get one this weekend then ,with a tray :biggrin:

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

• 8 months later...
  • 10 years later...
On 6/22/2006 at 10:03 AM, mrose said:

Here is a picture of part you need.

gallery_45240_3105_223513.jpg

Mark

I was looking for this part at my local Lowes and stumped the folks there. Has anyone else found this piece recently?

21 hours ago, Daniel D said:

I was looking for this part at my local Lowes and stumped the folks there. Has anyone else found this piece recently?

Hubby thinks it might be an electrical conduit fitting.

I had completely forgotten about this topic until I noticed it a few minutes ago.  I wish I had thought of it a few weeks ago. A mold maker up here decided to retire and sell all his stuff, some locally, some on ebay.  He had several vibrating machines used to settled the granular stuff before firing.  He made odd parts for vintage cars and motorcycles. 

His had cemented flat magnets on top of the shakers so he just had to set the steel mold pan on the top and it stuck like glue.  

I phoned him just now and he sold everything but he said the magnet idea was given him by one of our mutual friends who bought my old lapidary equipment a few years ago.

The magnets would hold molds weighing 20 pounds and they are inexpensive.  Neodymium flat discs.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 5 years later...
On 6/22/2006 at 10:03 AM, mrose said:

Here is a picture of part you need.

gallery_45240_3105_223513.jpg

Mark

Did anyone ever figure out what exactly this part was called, or another thing that will work? I have plans to take the little 4" dental shaker to my local hardware store and just look for anything that fits if all else fails.

50 minutes ago, kstone2016 said:

Did anyone ever figure out what exactly this part was called, or another thing that will work? I have plans to take the little 4" dental shaker to my local hardware store and just look for anything that fits if all else fails.

Plumbing thing - check home depot plumbing section 

Consider one of these instead - theragun

• Like 1