• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home made vibrating table

Desiderio

Was looking for vibrating table ,hoping to find a cheapy one maybe used or something and I found this web site ,if you scroll all the way down he will show how to make your own at home for around 40$ , now I dont know if it works or not but I thought I meantion it .

http://www.hirstarts.com/casting/advanced.html

Vanessa

Even easier than that (from a previous thread). Get a dental vibrator from ebay (new w/shipping approx $55). Go to Lowes & get a pvc toilet adaptor with `4.5 inch inner diameter & glue it to bottom of a small lunch tray. It is removable for cleaning and variable speed. Total cost is about $60. Will look like one on ebay being sold for $170.

Candy mold shaker

Mark

Edited by mrose (log)

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Am I the only person who's wondering what the heck a vibrating table is used for, in the culinary arts that is?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It does sound interesting but its only for chocolate making

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Steven, a vibrating table is used to release tiny air bubbles which can become trapped inside polycarb molds or for shaking excess chocolate off of dipped candies. Enrobing lines usually have them built in.

I've got some vibrating hassocks, I'll post a picture later tonight when I get home from work. I bought a whole bunch of them from a Bed and Bath store after Christmas when the price got low enough. I saw something similar on one of those pastry competitions.

I've got some vibrating hassocks,  I'll post a picture later tonight when I get home from work. I bought a whole bunch of them from a Bed and Bath store after Christmas when the price got low enough.  I saw something similar on one of those pastry competitions.

Ahh interesting , question,what excatly are this hassocks ??? :raz::blink:

Vanessa

gallery_34671_2649_43898.jpg

These are vibrating hassocks, aka "cosy cube massaging ottoman" made by homedics. They wanted over $100 for them when I first saw them before Christmas. I watched for them after the holiday as the price came down. I notice that Target is selling them for $50 now.

If you take the covers off them and leave the legs off you get 16 by 16 inches of vibrating foam surface. I'm thinking of taking off the top part of the foam to see if I get slightly better bubble shaking.

I purchased all that they had when they were in final clearance. I think they were around $35 each. I still have 5 or 6 that I haven't found homes for so if anyone wants one PM me.

Am I the only person who's wondering what the heck a vibrating table is used for, in the culinary arts that is?

Um, no, but I'm glad you posted the query before I did.

Assurances that this item may be purchased from chefrubber does little to alter my initial impression.

Can you pee in the ocean?

gallery_34671_2649_43898.jpg

These are vibrating hassocks, aka "cosy cube massaging ottoman" made by homedics.  They wanted over $100 for them when I first saw them before Christmas.  I watched for them after the holiday as the price came down.  I notice that Target is selling them for $50 now. 

If you take the covers off them and leave the legs off you get 16 by 16 inches of vibrating foam surface.  I'm thinking of taking off the top part of the foam to see if I get slightly better bubble shaking. 

I purchased all that they had when they were in final clearance.  I think they were around $35 each.  I still have 5 or 6 that I haven't found homes for so if anyone wants one PM me.

Nice thinking :shock: .

Vanessa

I have the one from ChefRubber and it works pretty well. The only thing is that I tape a half sheet pan to the top so that I vibrate two molds at one time (the molds have to be held in place also without the pan).

I think it is worth the price personally.

Patrick Sikes

www.MyChocolateJournal.com

A new chocolate review community

PS I Love You Fine Chocolates

• 2 weeks later...

Ok what about this type free shipping , and you can attach that tray on top?

here

Grr why the link doesnt work?

oh well is under dental virator , they are the small type and cost around 65$.

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

vanessa, that's what the people did who are charging $185. they put a sticker on the tray that says "candy mold vibrator" and charge $120 for a $5 tray and ten minutes of labor. i think the dental vibrator (sounds a little perverted) is the way to go.

somebody mentioned something about "frequency" or basically vibrating speed. anyone have any idea what the motor specs should be for good results?

If you are the handy type, adjustable vibrating motors are fairly easy to set up. You need,

1) an AC motor, surprisingly small, no need for a big one. Look around thrift stores and garage sales for likely candidates

2) A variac, or plain old incandescent light dimmer, available at your local home improvement store

3) an eccentric load, meaning something to attach to the output shaft of the motor that is not balanced. You can take a balanced object and remove part of the material to achieve eccentricity.

The steps are to: Attach the eccentric load to the motor, connect the power leads from the motor to the variac, mount the motor to a small table, check your wiring, turn the variac to lowest speed, say a prayer, then plug that sucker in, and adjust as needed.

******Please note that I am not responsible for any damage to property, persons, pets, furniture, emotional scarring or windows when it comes to this. It's an overview of what makes vibrating things work. At their basic, it's a motor trying to spin an unbalanced load.

Or you could avoid all of the hassle and use the spin cycle of the old washing machine. Just put the molds on the closed lid.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

The dental vibrator I bought is has a dial to vary the speed. It works very well.

Mark

Thank you for the feed back , I think I am going for the dental one for a decent price ,since I am handy but I dont think I can find the time and the patiente to built my own .

Thank you

And by the way your logs are awesome.

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa