• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which Cookbooks DON'T You Use & Why?

WHS

The _Secrets of The M*A*S*H Mess_ cookbook.  Written by Igor who played the cook on the tv show.  Absolutely worthless as far as a cookbook.  Beyond terrible.  Pure CRAP.  But I am a M*A*S*H fan and couldn't resist when I saw it on ebay.  The stories in it about off camera antics are OK at best.  It's obvious from reading it that Igor(Jeff Maxwell) wasn't invited to any of the "after parties", there just isn't any real new info.  Alan Alda's Foreward was 4 very short paragraphs, in fact one was 1 sentence. 

I was started to type in one of recipes chosen at random, but stopped because I remember a post about copyright infringements and recipes awhile back.  What is the ruling on posting printed recipes?  Bad Idea?

I had to laugh at this one because its very likely you bought that on ebay from my mother. She frequently buys up piles of books and the dollar store and then resells them on e-bay. She gifted that cookbook to me as well and I haven't cooked a darn thing from it either.

Incidentally, I did give my mother the White Trash Cookbook mentioned in a post earlier and I think the tater tot casserole has been made once or twice.

As far as cookbooks besides the MASH one I likely wont ever cook from is the bread baking cookbook from the LaBrea Bakery. I can't seem to make a starter without killing it a few days in from forgetting to feed it. Good thing I don't have kids.

Re: Barbara Troop and China Moon Cookbook"

-Chili-orange oil

Absolutely! A friend gave me a plate of steamed pork buns she'd made, after she got the book for Christmas. I went right to mall and bought a copy. That oil was a bit of a bother, but a new concept to me......and the FLAVOR. She told you to include the "goop" from the bottom of the jar......OH SO GOOD on noodles and everything.

You're right, there were a whole set of things you had to make, before you could make the main recipes.

• 2 weeks later...

I receive Jerry Seinfeld's wife's new cookbook for Christmas from my brother's girlfriend. You know the one were she hides veggies from her kids in her food.

Because god forbid a kid ever confront broccoli and actually like it.

I don't think I'll be using that book much.