• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ROAD TRIP VAN TO SASK

jahvay

It is time for a road trip to visit a friend in Saskatoon. We are interested in hitting a few real unique, interesting food establishments on the way. Love old diners, butchers, fine dining, and especially hole-in-the-walls that have been doing cool things for a long time.

We have not decided on a route just in case someone tells us of a great place that we must visit along the way.

Thanks for the info!!

In Saskatoon I would recommend Calories in the Broadway area and a poster here, Junior who formerly worked there has opened his own spot and should be able to provide more details.

I will let Junior "toot his own horn".

Our last trip was straight down Highway 16 from "Edmonchuk" to "Saskabush" to the Veterinary School and hospital with a very sick golden so unfortunately all I wanted to do was get there and get back so cannot assist with good spots en route.

http://www.wiegele.com/summer/dining.php

Okay, let's chat! I haven't done the trip in a couple of years, but in the past we have headed to Blue River BC, stayed at a cheap and charming motel called The Blue River Motel, and had a great meal at the Wiegele ski lodge. However, the last time I passed through the dining room was not open, so if you do decide this route, phone ahead and see what days they are open. It's a surreal experience: Picture an Austrian ski resort in a small Alberta town, tucked on the shore of a tiny lake. The place is usually quite empty, with the occasional busload of German tourists sweeping in and devouring all the ice cream in sight. They even have a dessert menu devoted entirely to ice cream.

The pheasant on your menu may be roaming out in front on the dining room. The mosquitoes are not quite as big as those in Manitoba, but be ready for some whoppers. Now I haven't eaten at the dining room lately, but has anyone else out there?

How long are you planning to travel? Are you camping or staying in motels?

I'll be doing the Regina to Saskatoon trip this year, and my ultimate goal is to visit Junior's new restaurant.

The deluxe option is to go through the Okanangan and do a wine tour on the way, but that takes a few more days.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

If you're driving through Swift Current, you *must* stop at the Husky Station for the baked goods. Not the big plaza one for the truckers, but the other one on the south side of the highway with the strip of fast food places and motels. 610 South Service Road East. The cookies are fantastic. The sticky buns are very good. You will not regret it. Gawd I miss the Husky station cookies.

My Blog - My Dinner Table

It makes me blush when I am aloud to toot my own horn. When you are in the Saskatoon area, don't heistiate to stop in and say hi. We are located on 10th st E, just off Broadway, kitty corner to Starbucks. Our phone number is 933 9600. Reservations are recommended for the weekends. We only 26 seats and we fill up pretty fast on Saturday and Friday. Since your coming during a time when our Farmer's market is in full swing, you get the oppurtunity to sample alot of product from there. Just mention your a egullet member and we'll do something a little for anyone who shows up.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

If you're driving through Swift Current, you *must* stop at the Husky Station for the baked goods. Not the big plaza one for the truckers, but the other one on the south side of the highway with the strip of fast food places and motels. 610 South Service Road East. The cookies are fantastic. The sticky buns are very good. You will not regret it. Gawd I miss the Husky station cookies.

My god, another soul who realizes that thier is life without Tims. Great suggestion.I am liking all so afr. Thanks. Keep em coming. I still need a place for that serious breaky, and the General Store on that strip of Highway near...

In Saskatoon I would recommend Calories...

I would second Calories in Saskatoon. I also liked Carver's Steakhouse. Years back Jerry's Food Emporium was an interesting greasy spoon http://www.jerrys.ca/ but appears to have gone healthy with "low carb" items - say it is not so? Not much between Edmonton and Toon'town if you go that route. Probably more along the "3" but have not driven that route since I was a kid.

officially left egullet....

http://www.sasktourism.com/saskfarmersmarket/

The best food between here and Saskatoon is of course at my mom's house, and I'm not biased at all. :cool: However, some of the best food is at the farmer's markets and tea rooms. At farmer's markets you'll often get homemade perogies and local farmer's sausage. At tea rooms you'll often get good soup, sandwiches and home made pies.

http://www.teaguide.net/tearoomsalberta.htm

Small towns also have town fairs where you can get homemade baking, preserves, and street food. Canada Day is a good day for that. I also think you need to base your trip more on sight-seeing than food, otherwise you may be disappointed. Bring your wide angle lens. There is also the giant things route--giant perogy, giant sausage, horse ankle bone, etc. I can help you out, but I need more info to go on. The world's your prairie oyster.

--Mae West

I can probably point out more bars that eateries...  Drummheller, Hanna, Oyen...  Oops, food, right.

Okay where? We were in Drumheller, and it was a desert. Would love recs

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I was recently in Alberta and there is town between Edmonton and the Saskatchewan border called Mundare.

Schkininsky's is the place.

Multi world champion award-winning kolbasa, farmer sausage and beef jerky.

Had I known how good the beef jerky was, I would have surely emptied my wallet to purchase as much as possible.

All we have left is strictly rationed and no longer offered to guests.

I was recently in Alberta and there is town between Edmonton and the Saskatchewan border called Mundare.

Had I known how good the beef jerky was, I would have surely emptied my wallet to purchase as much as possible.

Thanks Cap'n, thats exactly what I am looking for. With a name like that, I will be stopping in for a treat, and thinking of you. MORE PLEASE!!!!

Thanks Cap'n, thats exactly what I am looking for. With a name like that, I will be stopping in for a treat, and thinking of you. MORE PLEASE!!!!

Okay, Mundare is the home of the giant sausage and the mayor is Mr. Stawnichy, the "sausage king". In that case, you might want to do the "kalyna country" route. http://www.kalynacountry.com/dining.htm

A good reference is The Food Lover's Guide to Alberta by Mary Bailey and Judy Schultz. They reccomend perogies at the Café in Glendon, Vilna's Saturday farmer's market, Duck shaped doughnuts (on the weekend) in Andrew at Koko's Bakery and Num Num Shop, The Old Fashioned Bread Bakery in Smoky Lake, and Ukrainian specialties at the D and R family restaurant in Vegreville. Please take photos of your trip and post!

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

--Mae West