• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brighton - Where's good at the moment?

I'm planning on popping into In Vino Veritasfor a post theatre beer on Friday. Its fairly new and run by a couple of ex-Hotel du Vin staff. Interesting looking cocktail, wine and food menu.

I did get to In Vino Veritas, but only for a beer in the basement bar. It was OK but its an awkward cramped space, with a spiral staircase linking the three floors taking up a fair bit of room. There was nothing about the place that made me want to stay or go back to be honest. The menu just didn't tempt although the cocktail list reads very well indeed.

The bar at MyHotel is nice enough, although I found the design to be a bit too self consciously modernist. A Scillian Smash cocktail made with fresh lemons was delicious, but came in a very girly glass. I suppose I should have guessed as it had pinot grigio among other ingredients in it. That was in stark contrast to the oh-so-manly frosted mug that a bottle of Becks was served in.

L'eglise in Hovelooks like a potentially interesting recent opening for the city. Very classic French bistro dishes such as steak tartare and coq au vin. If its done well, it could be heaven sent. Here's Bighton's own Andrew Kaye's take on the place click.

• 2 weeks later...

I returned to Riddle and Finns in Hove last night. We ate in the dining room upstairs a couple of weeks ago but downstairs last night. I really like the style of this place - the dining room is oak panelled and carpeted, whist downstairs is stark white butchers tiles on the walls, barstools to high white marble tables with a candelabra on each.

I ordered better last night, sharing several starters and things - the best being big fat juicy monkfish cheeks in a beatuiful thin, crisp herbed batter; a big crab and mayo which we attacked without mercy and a good clam chowder. Fries were a little limp and the chocolate tart straight out of the fridge, but the bread served with lovely pots of mackeral pate, mayo, horseradish cream and a good butter was so nice we demanded a second. Both meals have been good - a lovely dish of downlands rabbit with monkfish tail and a really good lobster amuse are fondly remembered from our visit upstairs. I fancy almost everything on the menu.

Also been back to the Ginger Pig recently and had another good meal there - a starter of calves liver, pancetta and potato, seared and crisp on the outside and almost raw in the middle was a revelation and has converted me, after several attempts to like liver.

And if you find yourself near Ditchling, a couple of miles north of Brighton in the Downs, then you could do worse than The Bull. Standard gastropub fare, but if their dish of local lamb and confit fennel is anything to go by, worth a return to investigate further.

I was going to try L'eglise but its closed on Mondays, I can't bring myself to pay the Arrogant Frog prices and the walk to The Meadow wasn't on for my 38 week pregnant partner.

Its actually next door to the chippie, across the road from Otello foodhall.

I pressed my nose against the L'eglise glass on Sunday as we were passing. Looks very nice in a Racine sort of way although there's some small tables for two in the middle of the room that I'd try and avoid - much like Racine in fact.

Have you shopped at Otello? Certainly looks the part but I haven't had a chance to actually pay the place a visit as yet.

I went to Alexander's Gastronomy last Saturday night, on the back of this (paid) review in the Argus

http://www.theargus.co.uk/whatson/fooddrin...ndersgastronomy

A new restaurant round the corner from Drakes.

Never been so disappointed in my life.......He writes up a whole A3 at the front of the menu, telling you all about himself and the way you should eat.

Fish caught that day, salad picked out the garden that morning,blah blah.

8 covers on his second Sataurday, does he chuck all the fish in the bin after service!!!!!!

The menu reads well, after reading his autobiography.

Lots of premier produce, £28 for 3 courses.

I went to Alexander's Gastronomy last Saturday night, on the back of this (paid) review in the Argus

http://www.theargus.co.uk/whatson/fooddrin...ndersgastronomy

I'll have to get me one of those "spumer" gadgets - they sound amazing. And that new Ramsay place The Boxford Cafe sounds interesting...

(and you reckon they paid for that??).

I have been reading with interest this thread on Brighton/Hove as I have recently moved to Hove from London. Naturally I have been trying out lots of the local eateries. So far I have been to:

La Fourchette - I shared the cote de Bouef which was ok although the accompanying Bearnaise sauce was split.

Real Eating Company has been a godsend for decent coffee and amazingly freshly baked bread.

Riddle and Finn I have been to twice, once in the oyster bar and once to the proper restaurant. Both times the service was great and the food on the whole v. good. I'm not sure if I agree with the amount of toppings and garnishes which come with the oysters(if requested) although I was impressed by the quality and freshness.

Englishes probably serves the best banoffee pie I have ever tasted, although the rest of the meal was a bit blah.....

I have the following questions for any knowledgeable egulleters

Is there a good green grocer in Hove?

What is the best fine dining in Brighton as my parents are coming to visit in a couple of weeks and at the moment I can't decide between the Gingerman or Terre a Terre, possibly Hotel du Vin

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Hello gastrochick and welcome to Hove.

There is a traditional greengrocer on the corner of Blatchington Road and George Street - Jenkins. No organic produce though as far as I am aware. I use them and Tesco for organic things. They supply a lot of local restaurants and tend to have a lot more stuff than they have on display - for instance I know I can always ask them for a frisee or oak leaf and they'll disappear into the fridge for them. Other than that I can't think of anywhere worth mentioning.

I recommend you try Canhams, a butchers on Church Road, if you haven't already. If you can get to their sausage rolls as they come out of the oven at about 7.30 do so. Oh. My. God.

Also go to the Real Patisserie on Western Road for great bread, Infinity Foods in Brighton city centre for organic/health foods and the arches on the seafront near the Palace Pier for fish. Apologies if this is old news, I'm just enjoying thinking about them.

Gingerman is always good for me - I think Gingerman at Drakes is supposed to be a little better, according to the gfg. People like Seven Dials restaurant - I haven't been. Terre a Terre is usually very good, although the food is a bit laboured for me.

There is a traditional greengrocer on the corner of Blatchington Road and George Street - Jenkins.  No organic produce though as far as I am aware. I use them and Tesco for organic things.  They supply a lot of local restaurants and tend to have a lot more stuff than they have on display - for instance I know I can always ask them for a frisee or oak leaf and they'll disappear into the fridge for them. Other than that I can't think of anywhere worth mentioning.

I recommend you try Canhams, a butchers on Church Road, if you haven't already.  If you can get to their sausage rolls as they come out of the oven at about 7.30 do so. Oh. My. God.

Also go to the Real Patisserie on Western Road for great bread, Infinity Foods in Brighton city centre for organic/health foods and the arches on the seafront near the Palace Pier for fish.  Apologies if this is old news, I'm just enjoying thinking about them.

Gingerman is always good for me - I think Gingerman at Drakes is supposed to be a little better, according to the gfg. People like Seven Dials restaurant - I haven't been.  Terre a Terre is usually very good, although the food is a bit laboured for me.

Thanks offcentre

I will definitely try out your recommendation for greengrocers, presently I am shopping at the Waitrose and also Taj. Despite Taj being impressive initially I have found the fresh produce not really that great, what do you think? Some of the fruit and veg looks a little tired in my opinion. Otellos foodhall is the same in that you think initially that it is great until you get home and try their fruit/veg.

I have already discovered Canhams, which is fantastic although I have yet to try the real patisserie for bread so thanks for that.

• 1 month later...

I can recommend L’Eglise for an informal meal. We went on Saturday lunch and it is a friendly local restaurant worth the walk from the many mediocre places in Brighton. None of us went for the lunch special but it was still reasonable at £68 incl service for 4 people with a bottle of wine and 2 teas. I had the onglet steak that came with excellent duck fat chips that are worth the walk by themselves. This corner of Hove seems to be on the up with the openings of the Forager and the Ginger Pig (both full when I went to try them). I haven’t been to the Arrogant Frog, but the prices are on a par with the unfailing Gingerman so I doubt I will ever be tempted in.

There is a traditional greengrocer on the corner of Blatchington Road and George Street - Jenkins.  No organic produce though as far as I am aware. I use them and Tesco for organic things.  They supply a lot of local restaurants and tend to have a lot more stuff than they have on display - for instance I know I can always ask them for a frisee or oak leaf and they'll disappear into the fridge for them. Other than that I can't think of anywhere worth mentioning.

I recommend you try Canhams, a butchers on Church Road, if you haven't already.  If you can get to their sausage rolls as they come out of the oven at about 7.30 do so. Oh. My. God.

Also go to the Real Patisserie on Western Road for great bread, Infinity Foods in Brighton city centre for organic/health foods and the arches on the seafront near the Palace Pier for fish.  Apologies if this is old news, I'm just enjoying thinking about them.

Gingerman is always good for me - I think Gingerman at Drakes is supposed to be a little better, according to the gfg. People like Seven Dials restaurant - I haven't been.  Terre a Terre is usually very good, although the food is a bit laboured for me.

Thanks offcentre

I will definitely try out your recommendation for greengrocers, presently I am shopping at the Waitrose and also Taj. Despite Taj being impressive initially I have found the fresh produce not really that great, what do you think? Some of the fruit and veg looks a little tired in my opinion. Otellos foodhall is the same in that you think initially that it is great until you get home and try their fruit/veg.

I have already discovered Canhams, which is fantastic although I have yet to try the real patisserie for bread so thanks for that.

have u tried bills grocery store yet

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Riddle & Finn two weeks ago for Sunday lunch after a very very long night. My first time there.

Two of us shared a few dishes - lobster which was excellent, crab cakes which were very good but not great, salt & pepper squid was stellar - incredibly fresh and tender, possibly something else which i don't remember. unfortunately no wine was had due to the profuse amounts still in my system from saturday evening. By far the best meal i've had in Brighton/Hove - i highly reccommend it.

Last week-end went to the revamped and now renamed Santiago - when a place which says it is now trying to served "better food" than previously and then serves you white parbaked baguette for bread........

Food OK - but barely so. Due South next door is much better.

-che

brighton could definalty surport a starred resturant, it does not need to be expensive to be starred just look at arbutus its an amazing resturant and has held its star for 2 years.

for a recommendation i would say try the "seafood experiance" in shoreham its a bit of a drive but well worth it. the chef thewre has worked at some really good joints before this.

brighton could definalty surport a starred resturant, it does not need to be expensive to be starred just look at arbutus its an amazing resturant and has held its star for 2 years.

for a recommendation i would say try the "seafood experiance" in shoreham its a bit of a drive but well worth it. the chef thewre has worked at some really good joints before this.

Didn't it close in November?

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp