• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brighton - Where's good at the moment?

Reviews of Ruby Tates.

Interesting reading the last one (Chris August 06) "Ramsay trained chefs????

Yes, Chris also says that "Alan has a long history in the restaurant business". It definitely looks like Chris might be very good friends with Alan! My main course was good when we ate there but having seen the mussels and lobster in the programme I think we were lucky...

YES.........very long gone!!

Like over a year ago, and I did`nt stay there that long, enough said!!!!

I havent had the chance to view the programme, as i`am currently in Melbourne. (table booked at Fenix next week, cant wait!)

Knowing allan i am sure it will be a very interesting view!!

Do you guys have any links to view a catch up?

Regards

BC

• 3 months later...

Holy cow, he's not messing around with his prices is he? £21 for a plate of king prawns or £20 for a lamb shank - in Brighton! Arrogant indeed.

I'm making a long delayed first visit to The Meadow in Hove next week where the prices are far more bearable, I will report back.

Edited by Andy Lynes (log)

sure i've seen this place somewhere, did it have a bit part in an episode of kitchen nightmares? (not as a featured place, somewhere ramsay took an owner?)

Are you thinking of Riddle & Finns? I think it featured briefly in a soul-destroying episode involving the late Ruby Tate.

Edited by naebody (log)

Bardsley's is usually recommended as the best in Brighton, although you will have to venture away from the seafront and up the shabby and depressing London Road to get to it. Some mixed reviews here: http://www.brighton-eating.com/347.htm. I've never been so can't comment.

I quite like the "posh" chippy on the pier although I haven't been for quite a while. We have a good takeaway just around the corner from us (not worth a special trip however) so fish and chips is rarely on the menu when we got out to eat as a family.

"posh" and the pier, just doesnt sound right Andy!!!!!!!!

I know, but the last time I was in there Paul Merton was at a nearby table, so if its good enough for him...

(By the way, I nearly ate at the Ginger Pig a couple of Mondays ago but when we arrived we found the place was closed for a staff party! I'll get there eventually.)

Oh the staff party!! (xmas party) still recovering!!! :blink:

There will be a new "ginger" restaurant coming soon!!!

End of March.........wait for it........"ginger fox"

An old thatched roof conversion just outside Brighton.

The head chef from Norfork SQ will be the main man.

There will be a new "ginger" restaurant coming soon!!!

End of March.........wait for it........"ginger fox"

An old thatched roof conversion just outside Brighton.

The head chef from Norfork SQ will be the main man.

I'm right on the edge of Brighton near the M27 - anywhere near there?

maybe i'll try the one on the pier - i can't imagine being in brighton and eating fish n chips without seeing the sea...guess i can always do takeaway and walk back down to the beach!

andy - where do you eat out most in brighton?

i've only tried due south, bill's for sunday lunch, and a place not too far from bill's on a corner in one of the main roads with shops...decent food but nothing great...name starts with a D if i remeber correctly.

andy - where do you eat out most in brighton?

I hardly eat out in Brighton at all. I do so much eating out when I'm travelling or up in London that often the last thing I want to do when I'm at home is eat out. In addition, I usually wouldn't go near Brighton town centre on a Friday or Saturday night, not because its dangerous or anything like that, but it's more for clubbers, stags and hens and serious drinkers and it all gets a bit hysterical.

I liked the Preston Park Tavern http://www.prestonparktavern.co.uk/ on the one occassion we went as a family, but the cooking was really nothing to write home about. There's a bit of a gastropub thing happening in Brighton at the moment (I know, we're very cutting edge down here on the south coast) with places like The Forager in Hove http://www.theargus.co.uk/whatson/fooddrink/theforager/ and The Chimney House http://www.chimneyhouse.co.uk/ and The Wellington http://www.chimneyhouse.co.uk/thewellie/.

I'm making a long delayed first visit to The Meadow in Hove next week where the prices are far more bearable, I will report back.

An excellent business lunch of tian of crab with celeriac remoulade and toast followed by braised pigs cheek, neeps and tatties with caramelised apple and then a stonking peanut parfait with chocolate mousse. Really excellent home made breads, good service, great room with loads of natural light and very tastefully done out. The wine list is short but generally good value and they've got a nice list of beers, cocktails, sherry and dessert wines. Easily one of the best meals I've enjoyed in Brighton and Hove and one of the few places in town I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Looking forward to going back in the near future, and I don't say that very often about local restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

Wandering around Brighton yesterday I saw that MyHotel is due to open this spring/summer. The good news is that it will add a large stylish bar to a scene that is crying out for more decent places to drink. The bad news is that the restaurant will be run by Aldo "the only reason I'm not on the bottom rung of the culinary ladder is because Ainsley is standing on it" f***ing Zilli.

Bearing in mind that the other two MyHotel's are in upmarket Chelsea and Bloomsbury and that they claim "food and drink are an integral part of the myhotels experience", I can't help wondering what the hell went through the mind of whoever made that particular decision. The last thing Brighton needs is another sodding Italian restaurant, we are literally drowning in them - the new restaurant will be directly opposite Carluccio's for God's sake.

Brighton could easily make room for more Modern European, classical French, a really good Thai, British, a bar and grill - anything but Italian.

People seem to like Coriander on Sackville Road - ever been there Andy?

Only to interview the owner for the local free sheet and that was a few years ago now. The menu has never really tempted me to be honest.

I'm planning on popping into In Vino Veritasfor a post theatre beer on Friday. Its fairly new and run by a couple of ex-Hotel du Vin staff. Interesting looking cocktail, wine and food menu.