• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kathmandu

Since when is KC's gone? I was just there in November, 2001 to feast on KC’s salad (I know, they're famous for sizzling steak but I LOVE their salad and it’s iodine fresh). Perhaps the person who told you this was thinking of the place that used to be across from KC's the place with the amazing cakes--Helena's? In 2000 when I arrived in KTM I was devastated to find Helena's gone but it has re-opened since (I feasted there on many occasions in October and November 2002). If KC's is gone, the only thing I'll really miss there is the salad--and maybe the veg. lasagna--well, the fruit curd at breakfast too. But certainly go to Helena's. If you're facing the KTM guest house Helena's is down the road to your left (and on the left hand side). The cakes are AMAZING and the breakfast is good too. I like the roof top dining as well as the super deluxe tippity top roof top sitting area too (but it's some climb--even after 3 weeks of trekking). Another good place is either just before or just after Helena’s (I think just after) and it’s also on the left hand side (if you’re coming from the KTM GH; and yes, all directions in Thamel are still based upon proximity to the KTM GH). You will be attracted by the little bakery on the corner (just like the cake window that stops you dead in your tracks every time you walk by Helena’s). It’s got windows all around. This is one of KTM’s better bakeries and you can either buy baked goods there to take away (good for early morning departures and all baked goods go to ½ price after 8:00 pm) or select something in the bakery and sit in their garden or best of all, you can sit in the garden, order off the menu and also order things from the bakery from your waiter. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner but I mostly go there for breakfast and sometimes lunch. Where are you staying and when are you going?

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

That's funny, a number of people told me tha KC's was gone. Maybe it's back? I actually met KC my first trip to K-Du in 1984. When I returned in 88 he was in jail for drug trafficking. I also remember Helena's fondly. I stayed at the Sagarmatha Guest House across the street, and used to have Helena's cinnimon buns every morning. I'll let you know in November.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just wondering of anyone had any info about places to eat and visit in Katmandu?

Trekking is on the agenda and I am sure a hearty meal before the long slog ahead would be a fantastic start.

Thanks

Best Regards

H

When are you going? I'll be there 10/1, and heading to Annapurna after a few days.

Here's my 14 year old recollection:

KC's (in Thamel, if you're walking towards the KDu Guest House, it's on the right. But everyone will know where it is.)

Ashta Mongal (don't remember where).

Tripki -- for the locals, someone near New Road. Worth asking about.

Boris's. I know Boris died a while back, it may be gone.

Helenas. Mediocre dinner, great desserts.

Dstone001,

It is actually my parents that are going. At the moment though thoroughly enjoyable. Trekking seems far too much energy for me! Phew.

Anyhow they off this thursday on the 12th Sept.

Hope you have a good one when you do o.

Cheerio

H